Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm actually kind of surprised at the response. Is it the 650 GMAT score you believe would make Darden a long shot? My work experience at Booz Allen and Accenture are top-tier consulting firms, which I think would wow a selection committee. Darden only has a average GMAT score of about 677 last I checked. Would being a Virginia resident help?

Thanks.

I actually don't think being a Virginia resident helps you that much and perhaps even hurts you a bit, because Darden sees itself, rightfully, as a national institution so it probably has a rough cap on the number of in-staters it takes. Like most schools it probably gives slight favor to people from more exotic places. Your BA and Accenture credentials are assets, but not sure in and of themselves they will "wow" Darden's adcom because consulting is a very common feeder industry for B-schools and Darden is a selective school so they see a large number of applicants from "name" companies like yours. If you were an underrepresented minority (in U.S. terms), from an unusual location, or perhaps even female your GMAT score would be competitive at Darden, but if you are not then you are probably somewhat under the "competitive" category IMO. The fact that Darden's selectivity rate is generous for a school of its caliber may help you. So if not a true long shot, Darden for you is definitely not IMO "money in the bank" (based on what you've told me of yourself). You may want to check out Darden's admissions chatswith Accepted.com.

Good luck,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
In terms of selectivity at Darden, they indicated in a podcast that applications were up 35% this past year (after increasing 10-15% each of the prior years) so admit rates will be down, and they indicated at Darden Days that average GMAT should be around 700 this year, which would be more or less equal to other similarly ranked schools.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
In terms of selectivity at Darden, they indicated in a podcast that applications were up 35% this past year (after increasing 10-15% each of the prior years) so admit rates will be down, and they indicated at Darden Days that average GMAT should be around 700 this year, which would be more or less equal to other similarly ranked schools.

Pelihu,

Thanks for noting that. Darden has been a "value stock" for some time. It's good to know the market is catching back up with it.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]