Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 13:52
First off, thank you for taking the time to give your valuable opinions.

I just got the results of all my applications. The results are as follows:

HBS - R1 - Ding w/o interview
Wharton - R1 - Ding after interview
Col - R1- Waitlist then ding
NYU - R1 - Waitlist

I am an international (non-indian, non-chinese), applicant with and IT Degree 3.5 GPA from a top 20 state school. I had decent extra-curricular activities in school and after graduation, most notably (and currently) sitting on the board of a non-profit organization. I've been in IT consulting for the past 6 years with modest management experience.

I had two weaknesses in my application. First one, my first year of college I had a GPA of 2.3, and but then I changed schools and got the higher GPA. During this time, I had some quantitative classes, which obviously had dismal scores. I had a decent explanation for this, and made the schools aware in their optional essays.

Second weakness is the GMAT unbalance. I got a 710 score, which is over the 700 mark, but my Q score was on 70th percentile, while my V was on the 95th.

Since I just got waitlisted at NYU, I am thinking of taking the GMAT test again to increase my Q score, and to send them a message that I am serious about Stern. Based on all the information I provided, do you think that it would be wise to do so, or should I be taking quantitative classes instead?

Thanks!

Like the response? Kudos it!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 14:23
cwhs wrote:
First off, thank you for taking the time to give your valuable opinions.

I just got the results of all my applications. The results are as follows:

HBS - R1 - Ding w/o interview
Wharton - R1 - Ding after interview
Col - R1- Waitlist then ding
NYU - R1 - Waitlist

I am an international (non-indian, non-chinese), applicant with and IT Degree 3.5 GPA from a top 20 state school. I had decent extra-curricular activities in school and after graduation, most notably (and currently) sitting on the board of a non-profit organization. I've been in IT consulting for the past 6 years with modest management experience.

I had two weaknesses in my application. First one, my first year of college I had a GPA of 2.3, and but then I changed schools and got the higher GPA. During this time, I had some quantitative classes, which obviously had dismal scores. I had a decent explanation for this, and made the schools aware in their optional essays.

Second weakness is the GMAT unbalance. I got a 710 score, which is over the 700 mark, but my Q score was on 70th percentile, while my V was on the 95th.

Since I just got waitlisted at NYU, I am thinking of taking the GMAT test again to increase my Q score, and to send them a message that I am serious about Stern. Based on all the information I provided, do you think that it would be wise to do so, or should I be taking quantitative classes instead?

Thanks!

Hi cwhs,
Sorry to hear about the dings. You are doing the right thing by reaching out for a fresh perspective on your application.

First off, GMAT. Since you are over the 700 mark, regardless of the breakout, I wouldn't be so quick to take the GMAT again. Since your overall GPA is decent, it is the pattern of not performing well in quantitative classes that it is a greater concern. You mention above that you didn't do well in your quantitative classes but had a good reason for that. If you don't mind sharing, go ahead and post it here or send us a pm. There are good reasons, and there are those that can be misconstrued as excuses. We could advise you better if we had the details.

Professionally, IT consulting is a fairly common background. How much progression did you show? Were your work examples tailored to the programs you were applying to?

For activities, it is commendable that you show a fair level of involvement. However, presentation is very important. I would be very interested in learning about whether you showed them to the best of your abilities.

The waitlist invite is a crucial point in your application, and I would urge you to send a reply that represents not just your continued interest in Stern, but all that you are doing to strengthen yourself as a candidate for their program.

We have worked with several candidates to develop a waitlist strategy, and I am happy to say we have had success with most of them. If you like, go ahead and set up an Free Initial Consultation with us. This is as no cost to you, and will help us make our advice more targeted to your situation.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages, including our Waitlist Consultation, tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 04:11
Hello MyMBAAdmit,

You are correct, I was unclear on a couple of key points. First, I am trying to switch careers from consulting to investment management. Because of that, I think the Q side of GMAT becomes even more important.

Second, the reasons were related to financial troubles followed by health troubles within my immediate family, financial impacting my day-to-day life and the health impacting my focus levels. I cannot tell if they would think it's an excuse or not, but it is what it is.

I looked over their waitlist FAQ where they list the things one can do to improve the strength of their application. I believe I will also get a supplemental professional letter of recommendation. What a stressful process!

Are there any other thoughts??

cwhs

Like the response? Kudos it!

MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 08:00
cwhs wrote:
Hello MyMBAAdmit,

You are correct, I was unclear on a couple of key points. First, I am trying to switch careers from consulting to investment management. Because of that, I think the Q side of GMAT becomes even more important.

Second, the reasons were related to financial troubles followed by health troubles within my immediate family, financial impacting my day-to-day life and the health impacting my focus levels. I cannot tell if they would think it's an excuse or not, but it is what it is.

I looked over their waitlist FAQ where they list the things one can do to improve the strength of their application. I believe I will also get a supplemental professional letter of recommendation. What a stressful process!

Are there any other thoughts??

cwhs

Hi cwhs,

You are right in being concerned about your GMAT Quant score if you are trying to switch to investment management, especially if there is a past pattern of not performing up to the mark in these area.

A supplemental letter is a good idea. Think of the waitlist letter as an additional opportunity to promote your candidacy. If there has been an improvement, a visit or there was something you couldn't discuss enough in your application (and think it's important), mention it now.

Stressful process, yes, but hopefully rewarding in the end!

A well-written waitlist letter can make the difference between being admitted or receiving a ding. In a competitive year like the present, I have seen this become even more important.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages, including our Waitlist Consultation.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: Consultants -- please advise if I have the correct approach   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2010, 08:00