Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting - Career Switch

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Consulting - Career Switch [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 13:21
Just need a little advice from everyone here on career prospects. I am someone who would like to get into a consulting role (either internal or with a dedicated MC firm). I am targeting a near tier-1 school for a part-time program (solid reputation and very rigourus program). I currently work as a manager over a very small team with a technology solutions focus in a healthcare services company (fortune 100). My job is to solve significant business process problems with technology solutions to drive out SG&A costs and to provide meaningful and actionable data to the rest of the enterprise.

So here is my quick bio; (facts)
-Just turned 30
-Program targeting 2.5 - 3yrs (grad between 33 - 34yrs old)
-MIS bachelors degree
-Potential MBA concentrations; def consulting with either Finance or accounting (CPA has always been on my mind but not quite as interesting as a more forward looking career, i.e. consulting)

Here are some of my opinions;
-Feel my strengths are customer/client interactions, specifically turning abstract problems/ideas into concrete results, and most of the time being the only resource capable of doing this within a business unit.
-Really enjoy a variety at my job, I have no interest in becoming really good at a specific operation.
-Would like to move into a profession that could open doors while getting exposed to different business models and processes.
-LOVE learning new things and meeting people with different professional backgrounds, always feel I absorb some of their knowledge when working with them
-Would really love to gain some concrete skills in quantitative analysis and applying models to unstructured problems (I feel I definitely have the aptitute for this, just want to be somewhere where I'm around more seasoned professionals in my field where I can learn from & apply this knowledge)

So, how feasible is it to make a career switch from industry to pure consulting? On a more specific level I think doing business consulting in the healthcare field would be great, a field I feel is ripe for process improvement/enhancement and having an injection of true business-minded folks to help with strategy and growth. Again I'm not targeting McKinsey or Bain (but will certainly try to pursue them), realistically I'd focus on the big 4 (including Deloitte) or perhaps local/regional firms. I've actually learned of quite a few during my research that have been started by ex-consultants of prestigous consulting firms and Big 4.

I've heard so many bad and good things, either people rave about this profession or hate it. I'm just looking for a quick cursory review of the limited information I've provided here and get some opinions from everyone here at GMAT club. For example, is this possible to make the switch considering my position and age? Will I feel out of place, or is career switching to consulting from industry more common than I'm assuming? I feel like it's mostly for younger early 20 somethings but could be totally wrong, every major consulting firm's career page has three distinct categories to search; undergrad hires, MBA/grad hires, and
industry/experienced hires. The latter being the category I'd be in.

Thanks!!

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit." - Napoleon Hill

If my post helped you in any way please give KUDOS!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Consulting - Career Switch   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2010, 13:21