Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting companies and other professional services groups,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What is the difficulty level of this question

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 249

Kudos [?]: 862 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (02:05) correct 22% (01:20) wrong based on 184 sessions
Consulting companies and other professional services groups, law firms, and research divisions often have informal talent powerhouses where senior partners strive to identify the best partners junior to them and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.

A) where senior partners strive to identify the best partners junior to them and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.
B) in which senior partners strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.
C) where senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.
D) that enable senior partners to strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.
E) in which senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.

OA and OE after discussions

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
my take C :where senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.

"in which" wud be wrong here
and we always strive to identify and not strive and identify !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 23:50
Imo E. Powerhouses in which... sounds better to me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
"in which" is used for situation such as :bottle in which the liquid is kept .
powerhouses are not something into which something can take place !!
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 96 [2] , given: 85

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:
Consulting companies and other professional services groups, law firms, and research divisions often have informal talent powerhouses where senior partners strive to identify the best partners junior to them and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.

A) where senior partners strive to identify the best partners junior to them and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.
B) in which senior partners strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding.
C) where senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.
D) that enable senior partners to strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.
E) in which senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.

Hi,
A and C are out because the improper use of "where" [ we use "where" only for locations]
B is out because the use of they at "that they find most rewarding" is ambiguous ( it can refer to best junior partners OR senior partners OR ...)
D is wrong because of "to strive and identify" ; the correct idiom is : strive to .. and the use of the extra verb enable makes the sentence wordy

So, we are left wih E

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:38
Vercules wrote:

Hi,

A and C can be eliminated 'cz of where(generally for places)
B and D can be ruled out - 'strive and identify' [striving for What?]. Strive to identify makes sense.
Hence E has to be right one.

Regds
Sony

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 17

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 00:58
A) where senior partners strive to identify the best partners junior to them and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding. -
WHERE is used to refer to a location but in this sentence powerhouse is not a real location. THEY is ambiguous as it can refer either to Senior partner or Junior partners.

B) in which senior partners strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding. -
Use of AND is incorrect. THEY is ambiguous as it can refer either to Senior partner or Junior partners.

- WHERE is used to refer to a location but in this sentence powerhouse is not a real location.

D) that enable senior partners to strive and identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects. - Powerhouse doesn't enable anything. Use of AND is incorrect.

- CORRECT

I hope all the errors are accounted for. If any error is left out, kindly let me know.

If you guys like this explanation, do not hesitate to press KUDOS button.

Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Good Questions also deserve few KUDOS.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 02:07
IMO E.

"Where" is used for location .In which correctly refers to powerhouses.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 07:48
Vercules wrote:

Straight E. 33 seconds
A) where...it modifies talent powerhouse ...not the intention of sentence
B) Hold
C) Same as A
D) Same as A
E) hold
Between B and E, E is correct. B uses "in which senior partners strive and identify the best junior partners" which is not what the sentence connotation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 06:17
Hi,

My take:
A & C are out, since we always use where with comma (..., which...)
B & D are out, since "to strive and identify" changes the meaning
thus, correct answer is E

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:55
Vercules wrote:

Really good question Vercules, if this monster isn't 700+ I'm terrified of the questions that are. It came down to C and E for me (I'm sure most people ended up torn here). I picked C because "in which" sounds really goofy in this scenario. Most commonly (some sources I checked out after guessing C said the "forbidden" ALWAYS or ONLY) "in which" is used when there is a sense that something is being contained inside something else (like neha24 said!). For instance, "Illinois is the state in which I live."

I guess it boils down to the proper interpretation of "talent powerhouses." Is it abstract or an actual location. I took it as a location because the beginning of the sentence cited many groups coming together (the lawfirms, etc...), like a conference, which is why I went with "where" and not "in which."

I kind of flipped it around in my brain and asked these 2 questions:

Where does the striving to identify take place? At the talent powerhouses.

In which does the striving to identify take place? In the talent powerhouses...it just doesn't sound right.

C me!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 19:24
1. "In which" is better than "where"
2."strive to identify" instead of "strive and identify"
3." the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects" is more direct and clearer than "the best junior partners compete for the projects that they find most rewarding"

E) in which senior partners strive to identify the best junior partners and the best junior partners compete for the most rewarding projects.CORRECT
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 21:07
Rock750 wrote:
Vercules wrote:

Hi,
A and C are out because the improper use of "where" [ we use "where" only for locations]
B is out because the use of they at "that they find most rewarding" is ambiguous ( it can refer to best junior partners OR senior partners OR ...)
D is wrong because of "to strive and identify" ; the correct idiom is : strive to .. and the use of the extra verb enable makes the sentence wordy

So, we are left wih E

I cannot agree. In this case, where correctly identifies a place. In which means that managers action INSIDE the house. It changes the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 33

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:48
imo E. In which is used for hypothetical states such as state of mind. where is only used for real places.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:39
vibhav wrote:
imo E. In which is used for hypothetical states such as state of mind. where is only used for real places.

between b and e. i choose b because e changes the meaning of the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:51
Bluelagoon wrote:
vibhav wrote:

between b and e. i choose b because e changes the meaning of the original sentence.

No it does not they do not

strive and identify

they strive to identify -- Correct Idiomatic usage.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 01:54
It must be E,

"in which" rather than "where" and "strive to identify" is true combination.
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 648

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups, [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:25
Vercules wrote:

Hi Vercules,

What's the OA????

I think the answer is E because where is used to modify place and talent powerhouse is not a place so A and C ruled out. B and D change meaning by converting strive and identify into verbs.

So ans Should be E

Thanks

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Re: Consulting companies and other professional services groups,   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2013, 02:25