Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting internships - Can you choose your office?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 02:35
More questions...thank you for your help in advance! Love this forum!

Two questions regarding consulting internships:

1. Is it common for internationals to be hired for summer consulting internships within the US?

2. Assuming you are attending a school in the MidWest, what are your chances to be placed in an office on the West Coast/East Coast?

Do they only hire for offices locally?

Thanks!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 04:52
Good question.. I`m interested in doing a consulting internship. But more interested in Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 06:15
branson wrote:
More questions...thank you for your help in advance! Love this forum!

Two questions regarding consulting internships:

1. Is it common for internationals to be hired for summer consulting internships within the US?

2. Assuming you are attending a school in the MidWest, what are your chances to be placed in an office on the West Coast/East Coast?

Do they only hire for offices locally?

Thanks!


1 - Yes, I know a couple of French guys who attended Kelmlogg and interned at BCG and Bain
2- Both of them interned in NY

Hope that helps,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 10:13
Internationals are generally accepted. Bain, BCG, MCK all take them.

As for office... it varies a little bit by company but, generally speaking the way it works is this: You apply. If they like you and decide to interview you, you have to rank your top 3 office locations. (Some have you do this when you apply, some when they decide to interview, and some before the 2nd round, it just varies ..but all of them make you do it at some point.) Hiring needs differ by office, so if you want to go work in the South Bend, Indiana office, they might have 1 position. That said, they probably have 0 applicants. If you want to work in San Fran, they might hire 5 for that office, but, you also have 50 people applying. I know what you're thinking.... and the answer is no...

Its not worth trying to game the system for two reasons: First, odds are, you'll game it wrong anyway and fail. Second, full time offers are usually given by the office at which you interned, for the office at which you interned - so if you are hoping to 'sneak in' and get an internship in Des Moines, Iowa only to then turn around and take a full time job in San Fran, dream on. So, the way to do it is to simply be upfront about your choices, list them appropriately, interview knowing that some offices may end up offering better odds than others, but you can never really know ahead of time.

In general, consulting and not, people say: "Industry, Function, Location. Pick two."
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 14:17
rhyme wrote:
Internationals are generally accepted. Bain, BCG, MCK all take them.

As for office... it varies a little bit by company but, generally speaking the way it works is this: You apply. If they like you and decide to interview you, you have to rank your top 3 office locations. (Some have you do this when you apply, some when they decide to interview, and some before the 2nd round, it just varies ..but all of them make you do it at some point.) Hiring needs differ by office, so if you want to go work in the South Bend, Indiana office, they might have 1 position. That said, they probably have 0 applicants. If you want to work in San Fran, they might hire 5 for that office, but, you also have 50 people applying. I know what you're thinking.... and the answer is no...

Its not worth trying to game the system for two reasons: First, odds are, you'll game it wrong anyway and fail. Second, full time offers are usually given by the office at which you interned, for the office at which you interned - so if you are hoping to 'sneak in' and get an internship in Des Moines, Iowa only to then turn around and take a full time job in San Fran, dream on. So, the way to do it is to simply be upfront about your choices, list them appropriately, interview knowing that some offices may end up offering better odds than others, but you can never really know ahead of time.

In general, consulting and not, people say: "Industry, Function, Location. Pick two."


to second what rhyme just said, i have a friend at wharton who interned with one of the big 3 in an east coast office and got a full time offer. she then requested to move west coast, and was asked to go through the interview process again, which she did successfully.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 15:12
But are there many international options, e.g. the choice to intern in Hong Kong, Singapore or Japan or are all internship opportunities in the USA only?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 15:19
International recruitment is performed seperately. I know of people asked to apply to McKinsey Hong-Kong on the basis of their profile. Most companies break it up - what I have seen is similar to the banks (US, EMEA, AsiaPac)
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 188
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 18:53
3underscore wrote:
International recruitment is performed seperately. I know of people asked to apply to McKinsey Hong-Kong on the basis of their profile. Most companies break it up - what I have seen is similar to the banks (US, EMEA, AsiaPac)


As far as I know you can pick any three locations including international offices. Now if you don’t speak any Italian at all and Milan is your top choice, it would put a serious question on your decision making abilities unless there is a specific reason to join the Milan office….If your top choice has no opening right away (very rare though), the companies would ask you to name another office and your second choice would automatically become the first choice….one of my peer advisors friends at Columbia just got an offer from Mck in Hong Kong which was his first choice.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 19:29
so what level of language proficiency is expected for an international posting? i mean do firms require near-native fluency, or would someone with language skills that are a bit rustier also get an international office? and i don't mean someone with basic conversational ability either.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 20:29
Well according to some consultant companies websites. Local language ability is not a necessity in some locations, but it is advantageous. This means that if you have excellent core skills, you may still get the location of your choice
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 20:56
cool, thanks toga. that's encouraging.

togafoot wrote:
Well according to some consultant companies websites. Local language ability is not a necessity in some locations, but it is advantageous. This means that if you have excellent core skills, you may still get the location of your choice
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 17:34
I'd watch out about the offices thing. Your school will have a recruiting office that will exert a lot of gravity. At Fuqua, the firms all come from Atlanta. Some of them are very serious about getting the recruits into their own office. Yes, they say they pass your name after R1 to whichever office you preference, but they did all that work of coming to your school and they'd like to get the goods -- not pass 'em off to another office. They also get weird about fit and culture, and it can be harder to make contacts in a distant office. This is sort of a worst-case scenario, and the firms (and probably the specific offices) will probably vary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 08:08
for consulting and banking, is it possible to summer intern at one location in the US, say NY or LA, then do FT at an international location, say HK or Tokyo?

I know where I want to work full time. It would be a cool opportunity to intern at some other location in the summer tho, say for ex NYC which I've always wanted to live in for a few months but I know I do not want to pursue a FT job there.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 12:59
The ones I've talked to generally say you should intern where you want to stay. That's not to say that people never switch, but I got the impression they're not too psyched about people just wanting to be someplace cool.

In fact, some of them ask you why you are interested in certain locations -- family, office specialty, job opportunities for spouse are generally accepted, but might not even win the day.

One SY here REALLY wanted to go to TX because that's where she is from and where she wants to settle. The company insisted on sending her to a different office. She told that company to take a flying leap and went with another. (Both are top firms.)
Re: Consulting internships - Can you choose your office?   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2008, 12:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Can you check your phone during breaks? ohsballer 2 22 May 2013, 19:46
1 Did you hire any consultants to help you with your apps? threestripes 3 21 Jan 2012, 23:02
You can transfer your ISA to another manager ykaiim 4 03 Apr 2010, 04:06
2 Will You Take Your Job Offer from Internship or Wait? nink 17 09 Feb 2009, 16:29
Buying Your Kid an Internship nink 8 28 Jan 2009, 07:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consulting internships - Can you choose your office?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: threestripes



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.