Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting Offer - Should I take it up?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Consulting Offer - Should I take it up? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 05:28
Dear all,

I posted this topic since it is a weird situation I have been facing which I am sure some of us may have encountered and needed advice on how to proceed on this.

I am applying to Top US B-schools and am in the process of interviewing with a couple of them (some are already done). Now I have got this unique job opportunity, from one of the top 10 consulting firms with much better pay and a promotion. I do not want to compromise on the B-Schools I apply to and would want to re-apply if wait-listed/rejected.

However, I am not sure how the schools would take a job change at this point of time? Would they hold it against me?

I am already into a management consulting profile, however, its a local firm and getting a top 10 offer is a rare opportunity, not to mention it will definitely increase my chances of landing a job post MBA. Also, in case I am rejected this year (hope not, but considering it as a matter of fact, since I am an international and rejection rates are high), I may miss out on a year of splendid work opportunity and $$.

Would really appreciate your help on this. Especially those who have encountered such situations while evaluating applications or as prospective students.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 258
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Re: Consulting Offer - Should I take it up? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 06:29
I did a very similar thing recently and just got into CBS and have an interview with Booth. If you want, PM me your profile:
  • Undergraduate school/degree, year of graduation
  • Post-undergrad job, # of years in job
  • Name of the top-10 MC offer
  • Schools you are applying to
  • Post-MBA goals

Top-10 MC may land you a better job after b-school. It may actually also just be a better thing to do than business school.
_________________

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2010
Posts: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Stern PT '16
GMAT 1: 680 Q37 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Consulting Offer - Should I take it up? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 09:11
Not sure if you have already made your decision, but I would definitely go with the job offer for now. Business schools are not going anywhere and you can still apply next year if you don't love your job, but top-10 job offers with great$$ don't come around easily (even with an MBA).
Re: Consulting Offer - Should I take it up?   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2012, 09:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I take help of Admission Consultant.. age 2 26 Sep 2009, 06:26
Should I take it? zoli12 2 07 Nov 2007, 14:51
Should I take the test? $uckafr33 2 16 Oct 2006, 04:54
Should I give up? Puilunchristin 15 22 Feb 2006, 20:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consulting Offer - Should I take it up?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.