Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:40

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting recruitment at Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Consulting recruitment at Business School [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 17:08
Hi Alex!

I had a specific question about consulting recruitment at top B-Schools.

I want to go to school on the east coast (W/Booth/Columbia/Sloan) but I want to work in Mck/Bain/BCG in the Bay area after my MBA. How easy/difficult do you think it would be? I am guessing the NY/Boston/Chicago office would be recruiting on the east coast so would it be difficult to request them to move me to California?

I believe Mck/Bain/BCG must be having big offices in the Bay area and Haas/Stanford/UCLA can't together fill all the positions there so it shouldn't be that difficult to move me back to CA.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [1] , given: 0

Re: Consulting recruitment at Business School [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Recruiting for specific offices has less to do with school, and more to do with the candidate's own preferences and the firm's needs.

While regional preferences are unofficially discussed during the interview/recruiting process, the real decision making for the most part won't happen until you're basically close to getting an offer from the firm.

In short, for the most part you have to get the offer first before you can discuss regional offices in any substantive way.

Traditionally, the Bay Area offices for all the major consulting firms are the hardest to get into no matter which school you go to - it's simply a matter of supply and demand. A lot more people from ALL schools who go through the consulting recruiting process want to go to the Bay Area than there are spots. As such, it really comes down to an individual case-by-case basis - a combination of your pre-MBA experience (and whether it happens to match the kind of work/industry they're working on at that moment), and the political process of schmoozing (i.e. getting the people in those offices to really like you and pick you - which has everything to do with you the individual and not the school).

The small regional offices tend to be the easiest to get into -- Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc. NYC typically has the largest headcount (and therefore the highest turnover) so they need the most bodies, and where a lot of consultants end up getting placed if one isn't focused on the regional offices. Chicago, Boston and LA are fine assuming you get through the interview process and you get an offer from the firm (i.e. if after you get the offer and you want to be based in Chicago, Boston or LA, you have a reasonable shot of getting it).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Consulting recruitment at Business School   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2010, 10:45