Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 82

Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 09:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've read a lot of information about how undergrad GPA is considered when consulting firms are evaluating applicants.

Is there a way to overcome my low GPA?

I will be attending Ross this fall and wonder if I should scrap my career aspirations to strategy consulting.

I have a 710 GMAT and a 2.97 undergrad GPA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 15:25
i think you'll be fine after your mba. firms will tend to weigh your gmat and mba more than undergrad.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 16:42
DrSatisfaction wrote:
i think you'll be fine after your mba. firms will tend to weigh your gmat and mba more than undergrad.

++ the GMAT and above average performance in your MBA class will enable you to get a look in.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 19:06
Yes I dont think the undergrad GPA would be that big of a deal, especially if has been years ago... They'd look at prior work exp I imagine, in addition to the aforementioned GMAT and MBA performance.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 10:36
Can anyone else chime in on this? Anyone had success getting into a top tier firm with a relatively low undergrad gpa?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 82

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 05:15
Just to update the thread, I was the original poster. The short story is that I was in fact able to get a full time job in management consulting with a boutique firm.

The longer story: Due to having a young family I had soured on wanting a career in management consulting. I figured that the travel would just be overwhelming. I interviewed with the larger firms for internships and was out of luck for an internship to try out the management consulting lifestyle for the summer. I instead took an internship in corporate finance. I liked the hours and then decided I wouldn't pursue consulting for full time recruiting. I didn't apply to any firms but was approached by a boutique firm who explained that they didn't travel as much. I applied and was able to leverage my past experience as a software sales rep to land a job with this firm that was sales operations focused.

It was a great job and the travel was indeed light. Key takeaway was that i was able to find a firm that was interested in my strengths (strong work experience in their key practice area) and cared little about my weak GPA.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Pre777 wrote:
Just to update the thread, I was the original poster. The short story is that I was in fact able to get a full time job in management consulting with a boutique firm.

The longer story: Due to having a young family I had soured on wanting a career in management consulting. I figured that the travel would just be overwhelming. I interviewed with the larger firms for internships and was out of luck for an internship to try out the management consulting lifestyle for the summer. I instead took an internship in corporate finance. I liked the hours and then decided I wouldn't pursue consulting for full time recruiting. I didn't apply to any firms but was approached by a boutique firm who explained that they didn't travel as much. I applied and was able to leverage my past experience as a software sales rep to land a job with this firm that was sales operations focused.

It was a great job and the travel was indeed light. Key takeaway was that i was able to find a firm that was interested in my strengths (strong work experience in their key practice area) and cared little about my weak GPA.

Thank you for updating your story...I wish more posters who came in and had questions like yours years ago would update as well.
Current Student
Schools: Tuck - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 20:07
I dont think the top firms even asked for UG GPA except for BCG which requires you to bring your UG transcript to second round interviews. There might have been a section for it in the original application at some firms but you can opt out if you want and still get interviews. If your GPA is good enough to get you into a decent business school, its going to be good enough to get you an interview. Or, at least it wont be the thing that prevents you from getting one.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 18:01
The only time UG GPA really matters is when you're applying to consulting firms right out of college (i.e. without an MBA). As with most applications, it's your most recent stuff that matters (high school grades for college admission, college grades for grad school admission, etc.). For undergraduate recruiting, most consulting firms do have a minimum GPA (usually ~3.5). Under those circumstances, you can still apply, but the chances of getting an interview are really low.
Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2013, 18:01