Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consumer activist: By allowing major airlines to abandon, as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Consumer activist: By allowing major airlines to abandon, as [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 11:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

25% (03:40) correct 75% (01:29) wrong based on 18 sessions
Consumer activist: By allowing major airlines to abandon, as they promptly did, all but their most profitable routes, the government’s decision to cease regulation of the airline industry has worked to the disadvantage of everyone who lacks access to large metropolitan airport.
Industry representative: On the contrary, where major airlines moved out, regional airlines have moved in and, as a consequence, there are more flights into and out of most small airports now than before the change in regulatory policy.

1. The industry representative’s argument will not provide an effective answer to the consumer activist’s claim unless which one of the following is true?
(A) No small airport has fewer flights now than it did before the change in policy regarding regulation of the airline industry.
(B) When permitted to do so by changes in regulatory policy, each major airline abandoned all but large metropolitan airports.
(C) Policies that result in an increase in the number of flights to which consumers have easy access do not generally work to the disadvantage of consumers.
(D) Regional airlines charge less to fly a given route now than the major airlines charged when they flew the same route.
(E) Any policy that leads to an increase in the number of competitors in a given field works to the long-term advantage of consumers.

2. Which one of the following is assumption on which the consumer activist’s argument depends?
(A) Before the recent change in regulatory policy, there was no advantage in having easy access to large metropolitan airport.
(B) When any sizable group of consumers is seriously disadvantaged by a change in government policy, that change should be reversed.
(C) Government regulation of industry almost always works to the advantage of consumers.
(D) At the time of the regulatory change, the major airlines were maintaining their less profitable routes at least in part because of government requirements.
(E) Regional airlines lack the resources to provide consumers with service of the same quality as that provided by the major airlines.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 20:07
D and D
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 20:43
IMO : D, C

1) IMO : D.

I marked the reverse answer. :cry:

2) IMO : C
(D) At the time of the regulatory change, the major airlines were maintaining their less profitable routes at least in part because of government requirements. >>> Contrary it actually strengthens the Industry representative. Regulation has been good.

D does not stalk the Industry representative. he can argue back with the following -
"there are more flights into and out of most small airports now than before the change in regulatory policy. so we are making more profits"

To shut Industry representative completely you say - "Government regulation of industry almost always works to the advantage of consumers.". this destroys him. D OUT

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Last edited by nusmavrik on 11 Jun 2010, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 21:05
yes mistake from my side, I admit A might be right for the first question. But I have an alternate reason.

My reason is:
Consumer Activist mentions ".....disadvantage of [highlight]everyone[/highlight] who lacks access to large metropolitan airport".

But Industrial representative says "[highlight]most[/highlight] small airports now ...."

I think we should fill this gap between most and everyone to make the Industrial representative's argument effective.

A does this.
Though D also works to strengthen the argument, it is not an inevitable ('unless' in the question makes the answer choice must be true) because
1. cost is not mentioned.
2. the cost could even be unaltered..

But for the second question I stand by the option D.
Intern
Intern

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 02:10
1) C
2) D

What's the OA?

Thanks.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 09:08
Noboru

Can you please post the OA?

Thanks

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:19
OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 01:06
Ya D and C for me
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 12:26
D then D. First one is obvious.

second one
----------
D because it was the old govt regulation that was partially responsible for the loss on the routes. Hence the Govt is responsible for the losses before (atleast partly) and for disadvantage (no access to large metropolitan) to everyone - after the regulation. Damn govt !

C : Contradicts the premise – “airline industry has worked to the disadvantage of everyone”. OUT

A : does not work in favor of consumer activist. OUT

E and B are baseless. They should be backed by substantial evidence but none is found in the stimulus.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 20:49
I would go for A and D respectively. What is the OA for this?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 21:21
1. C
2. C
can explain if correct

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 04:10
Ill go with

1- C

2 - D

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 17:16
C and D are correct -- just checked in 1000CR.

KissGMAT wrote:
Ill go with

1- C

2 - D
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 21:56
i chose "A" for Q1. Can somebody please explain why the answer is "C"

-If you like my post, consider giving KUDOS

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 01:10
First question looks super tough now when I read the language again. I believe its not easy to pull first one under pressure. The question is in heavy cloak of strengthening / weakening types.

A : Regulation worked to the disadvantage of everyone. Regulation is bad.
B : Regulation is good (there are more flights in/out of small airports).

[B should also say regulation has worked to the advantage of everyone to refute A.]

Otherwise B's answer is shifting focus (scope shift).

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 08:32
noboru wrote:
Consumer activist: By allowing major airlines to abandon, as they promptly did, all but their most profitable routes, the government’s decision to cease regulation of the airline industry has worked to the disadvantage of everyone who lacks access to large metropolitan airport.
Industry representative: On the contrary, where major airlines moved out, regional airlines have moved in and, as a consequence, there are more flights into and out of most small airports now than before the change in regulatory policy.

CA-Major airlines dropped out of smaller airports, because of a gover decision and therefore such a move has hurt the public.
IR-Major airlines moved out and regional players moved in, thereby more flights to customers, Note here the IR does not clearly answer/counter the CA statement as he just says due to the policy there are more flights

1. The industry representative’s argument will not provide an effective answer to the consumer activist’s claim unless which one of the following is true?

The IR argument has to complete that more flights do not mean a disadvantage C

(A) No small airport has fewer flights now than it did before the change in policy regarding regulation of the airline industry.
(B) When permitted to do so by changes in regulatory policy, each major airline abandoned all but large metropolitan airports.
(C) Policies that result in an increase in the number of flights to which consumers have easy access do not generally work to the disadvantage of consumers.
(D) Regional airlines charge less to fly a given route now than the major airlines charged when they flew the same route.
(E) Any policy that leads to an increase in the number of competitors in a given field works to the long-term advantage of consumers.

2. Which one of the following is assumption on which the consumer activist’s argument depends?
CA assumes that the major airlines were maintaining the flights to smaller airports because of govt pressure. D
(A) Before the recent change in regulatory policy, there was no advantage in having easy access to large metropolitan airport.
(B) When any sizable group of consumers is seriously disadvantaged by a change in government policy, that change should be reversed.
(C) Government regulation of industry almost always works to the advantage of consumers.
(D) At the time of the regulatory change, the major airlines were maintaining their less profitable routes at least in part because of government requirements.
(E) Regional airlines lack the resources to provide consumers with service of the same quality as that provided by the major airlines.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 13:34
What about A and E .........??
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 03:28
Not sure about first but inclined toward D in both

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 07:15
man really tough call ...

i will go for A and B.....

admit second is incorrect but 1st ??

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumer activist [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 23:50
Went for C and D
Re: Consumer activist   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2010, 23:50