Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Bold Face CRx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [254]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [61]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [37]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [7]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: It is generally true, at least in this state, that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Consumer advocate: it is generally true, at least in this state, that lawyers who advertise a specific service
charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise. It is also true that each time restrictions on the
advertising of legal services have been eliminated, the number of lawyers advertising their services has
increased and legal costs to consumers have declined in consequence. However, eliminating the state
requirement that legal advertisements must specify fees for specific services would almost certainly increase
rather than further reduce consumer’s legal costs. Lawyers would no longer have an incentive to lower their fees
when they begin advertising and if no longer required to specify fee arrangements, many lawyers who now
advertise would increase their fees.

The conclusion represents the main thought of the author, indicators may help, but once you reach the end of the argument you should already have a clear idea about the author's position. That idea is the main point and the author's conclusion.

- General statemet
B1 - Adds more to the general statement
- Argues against boldface B1 (main idea of the passage)
B2 - supports the main idea

Additionally: B1 and B2 follow an opposite direction. Since B2 supports the main point and the main point argues against B1.

In the consumer advocate’s argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a generalization that the consumer advocate accepts as true; the second is presented as a
consequence that follows from the truth of that generalization.
B1 and B2 follow an opposite direction. wrong
(B) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the consumer advocate argues will be repeated in the case at
issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not hold.
the second supports the main point. wrong
(C) The first is pattern of cause and effect that the consumer advocate predicts will not hold in the case at issue;
the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
Looks good, "prediction" is out main point, B2 supports the main point. B1 is indeed a pattern of cause and effect that won't hold true.
(D) The first is evidence that the consumer advocate offers in support of a certain prediction; the second is that
prediction.
B1 and B2 take a different direction. wrong
(E) The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the main position that the consumer advocate
defends; the second is that position.
The second supports the main position, it is not the main position itself. wrong

P.S. Timing is important but don't get stressed too much, Boldface are hard questions especially for non-natives like me. Figure out an approach that leads you to the correct answer and be consistent with it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: It is generally true, at least in this state, that [#permalink]
I picked (D) over (C), because I didn't agree with the fact that BF 2 was a consideration.
How is BF2 a consideration?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TooLong150 wrote:
I picked (D) over (C), because I didn't agree with the fact that BF 2 was a consideration.
How is BF2 a consideration?

Dear TooLong150,
The word "consideration" is a funny word. In colloquial speech, it is used to mean "courtesy" --- to show someone some consideration. That usage is far too casual for the GMAT.

In the formal sense, the word "consideration" means: a thought, an idea, an intelligent perspective, or an argument. Any well-thought out statement could be called a "consideration", so in that sense, virtually every sentence that appears in the GMAT CR could be called a "consideration."

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Mike,

I have a doubt regarding boldfaced CR question.

Do we need to evaluate what role the two bold faced statements play with regard to Conclusion ?
(or)
Do we have any other method to evaluate these kind of Questions.

As far as this question is concerned, my method of solving the question is this

If we consider "eliminating the state requirement that legal advertisements must specify fees for specific services would almost certainly increase rather than further reduce consumer’s legal costs" as Conclusion and then evaluate the two bold faced Statements then we get

a) first bold faced opposes (or) does not hold true
b) Second bold faced statement is in favor (or) Supports the conclusion.

Hence Answer is C.

Mike , could you please tell whether my approach is correct or wrong.

Thanks in advance :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dheeraj24 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have a doubt regarding boldfaced CR question.

Do we need to evaluate what role the two bold faced statements play with regard to Conclusion ?
(or)
Do we have any other method to evaluate these kind of Questions.

As far as this question is concerned, my method of solving the question is this

If we consider "eliminating the state requirement that legal advertisements must specify fees for specific services would almost certainly increase rather than further reduce consumer’s legal costs" as Conclusion and then evaluate the two bold faced Statements then we get

a) first bold faced opposes (or) does not hold true
b) Second bold faced statement is in favor (or) Supports the conclusion.

Hence Answer is C.

Mike , could you please tell whether my approach is correct or wrong.

Thanks in advance :)

Dear dheeraj24,
I'm happy to respond.

First of all, your approach in this question is correct. The sentence you quoted I would call the conclusion, and I agree with your interpretation of the two BF statements.

I would say: in every every every GMAT CR, you should know exactly what the conclusion is. If you don't understand what the conclusion of an argument is, then you don't understand the argument. More than that, you should always understand the role of every single sentence in every single argument, and how it relates to the conclusion. Don't think of boldface questions as a separate category ---- they are simply testing a skill that you should be applying 100% of the time in every sentence of every argument. If you find arguments in which you don't understand the roles of individual sentences, those are fantastic questions to post here on GMAT Club and ask experts for their advice. You are always more than welcome to send me a p.m. asking for my input.

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [3]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.00.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.00.41 AM.png [ 113.96 KiB | Viewed 53646 times ]

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [7]
Consumer advocate: It is generally true, at least in this state, that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The crucial distinction between (B) & (C) concerns what exactly is the "case at issue"?

The way to think about this is to step back and apply a central RC strategy. What's the main idea of the prompt argument? In other words, if some author wrote this in an article in a journal or magazine, what would have been that author's principal concern?

Well, in the past, there was a clear pattern: fewer restrictions --> more ads --> more consumer savings. Clear cause & effect.

Now, when they abrogate the requirement for displaying fees, consumer prices will rise. Clearly, the author, a consumer advocate, is concerned about this, and this prompt may well be part of a larger argument about why we should NOT get rid of the requirement for lawyers to display their fees---that would likely be a consumer advocate's larger agenda with respect to this issue. Clearly, this consumer advocate is on the lookout for consumers and is bothered about the fact that, if this requirement is lifted, the consumers will be paying more and more. Therefore, this is the "case at issue," the thing that really concerns the author.

That's the gigantic problem with (B). The "case at issue," namely what would happen if the fee requirement is abolished, is clearly a case in which the past pattern would no longer hold. Option (B) mistakenly calls some other unspecified concern the "case at issue," and treats this important issue, the author's main point, as a throwaway extra detail. It entirely misses the point of what is important to the author.

Choice (C) gets it right: the cause & effect pattern discussed in the first BF statement will NOT play out in the "case at hand." The "case at hand" that deeply concerns this author is the case in which fees would go up, and the second BF "offers a consideration in support of" the prediction that fees could go up. The best answer is (C).

This question, in a way, is almost a hybrid between CR and RC, and in many ways, we have to have sharp RC skills to analyze the prompt argument. It's not a trivial detail to note that the speaker is a "consumer advocate," i.e. someone who is deeply concerned with what would be fair for all the good hard-working people who are struggling to get by. Knowing that the speaker comes from that perspective is crucial for identifying the "case at issue." For success on the GMAT Verbal, you have to have this general sense of what kinds of professionals are for or against what kinds of things. What do consumer advocates want? What do advertisers want? What do consulting firms want?" What do politicians want? etc. etc. It's very important to develop this real-world intuition. See:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Kudos
I am not satisfied with explanation at all. I think that this question is hard because choices B and C are almost identical, however, I root for choice B because in my opinion there is nothing in the first bold face portion that indicates that indicates prediction that this pattern for reduction of costs will not hold! Am I blind? Missing something?
C'mon - this is the first bold portion "...each time restrictions on the advertising of legal services have been eliminated, the number of lawyers advertising their services has increased and legal costs to consumers have declined in consequence". Where in this entire bold portion 1 you see prediction that this pattern will not hold? Not in this portion at all. There is nothing to indicate that this argument is not correct, not in this boldface portion. A second portion acknowledges a circumstance in which pattern will not hold - exactly C. Look, the pattern is valid but not in case if requirement to specify fee arrangements ceases.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [4]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Erjan_S wrote:
I am not satisfied with explanation at all. I think that this question is hard because choices B and C are almost identical, however, I root for choice B because in my opinion there is nothing in the first bold face portion that indicates that indicates prediction that this pattern for reduction of costs will not hold! Am I blind? Missing something?
C'mon - this is the first bold portion "...each time restrictions on the advertising of legal services have been eliminated, the number of lawyers advertising their services has increased and legal costs to consumers have declined in consequence". Where in this entire bold portion 1 you see prediction that this pattern will not hold? Not in this portion at all. There is nothing to indicate that this argument is not correct, not in this boldface portion. A second portion acknowledges a circumstance in which pattern will not hold - exactly C. Look, the pattern is valid but not in case if requirement to specify fee arrangements ceases.

Dear Erjan_S,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I agree, there's something subtle going on here--what exactly is the "case at hand" discussed in (B) & (C)?

One way to think about this is to think about the the personality of the person making an argument. First, think about a general argument:
Premise #1 (we all agree on this)
Premise #2 (we all agree on this)
Conclusion (this is what I really wanted to say to you)
If I am the person making the argument, the premises are just things I say to lay the groundwork, to establish agreement points with others before I try to change how they thing; by contrast, the conclusion represents my thoughts, what I really have to say. That's my focus and concern. In any argument, the focus is the conclusion.

In this argument, the first two sentences are premises. That's what has started in the past and has been true for a long time. There's nothing new happening there, just the same old patterns. What has been happening for years is not the "case at hand," the pressing issue of the moment.

In sentence #3, we hear about something that sounds new: "eliminating the state requirement that legal advertisements must specify fees for specific services." This is a new element, apparently up for discussion right now, so this is the "case at hand." This is the controversial issue. This is where the focus of the author is. This is the matter under debate: everyone agrees on the premises, but presumably not everyone agrees with this author--he wouldn't have to make his argument if everyone else agreed with him! He is making his argument, his case, about this possible new change in the law.

Thus, BF #1 is something that preceded the case at hand, and the author expects that that pattern will not continue to hold in the case at hand.
BF #2 is a reason why that pattern will not hold in the case at hand.
This is precisely what (C) says.

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Undergraduate: Stanford
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Asset Management (Consulting)
Send PM