Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:01) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 13 sessions
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.

Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer.

(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.

(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.

(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.

(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 16:55
A.

it is "higher wages", not "lack of competition" for higher interest rates for personal loans.

C does not explain why ONLY CA banks are charging more interest rates for personal loans.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 23:36
A sounds good.
Higher wages... Higher interest rates.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 00:05
the OA is A. I chose D because if people do not default, then couldnt the banks hike up the interest rate if they wanted ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 01:09
yup I got A not entirely convinced but the best in the bunch.

B. doesn't give us any clue, buecause we are told about the interest in personal loan for rest of the country. we don't know in rest of the country whether the interest rate for mortgage is higher or lower.

C. doesn't give a reason why interets rete on personal loan will be higer in CA.

D. this information simply says that interest rate on personal loan will be lower in CA due to lower default risk. now because we are tryinig to refute a causal argument, in order to weaken the argument, we need to find another reason that contributes to the conclusion, not a premise that changes the conclusion.

E. same as D.

so only A stands.

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 02:11
this information simply says that interest rate on personal loan will be lower in CA due to lower default risk.

thanks nakib i misunderstood D.

If chances are that a person will not pay me back, then i will charge a high interest rate. If that person will pay me back, then i will charge a low interest rate.

Conclusion: banks in cali pay higher interest rates cuz of lack of competiton

A is best
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 13:43
I agree A is the only relevant answer choice but here's my question:

A talks about depositors. Conclusion of the argument talks about personal loans. How does charging people more for depositing translate to higher interest rates for personal loans?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 21:03
pls explain choice D, i am inclined for D
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 31

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
cangetgmat wrote:

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.

Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer.

(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.
--> here proportion of consumer is irrelevant to the conclusion you need something weakening the relation that due to less banks the interest is higher but A provides another reason why interest rates are higher.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 07:34
cangetgmat wrote:

Unfortunately D can be inferred in 2 ways, one is why you think this is the answer, and the other is "The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States." Which means the risk is low in giving out a personal loan, so ideally the rates should be low. If a market is risky or if a loan is unsecured you will be charged high e.g. credit cards.

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 13:30
Sorry folks, but I am not able to strike option E out.

(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.

Even this option brings in new reason of high interest rate on personal loan.
This is how I interpreted it:

There are fewer banks in Cal
Fewer banks so less competition
Less competition so these banks offer less interest rate on deposits
Less interest rate so they get less deposits (because depositors are less attracted)
Less deposits so bank has less fund to disburse as loan
Less fund to disburse hence bank increased the interest rate on loan

As per me this is what happens in practical also.

Please let me know whats wrong with this reasoning.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 75

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 13:39
jaiswalamrita wrote:

Less interest rate so they get less deposits (because depositors are less attracted)

Amrita,
your point is valid but let's look again at the ACs.
(E) is more like another premise of the argument but (A) weakens the conclusion by stating an idea that the banks do pay huge salary to hire and retain best officers so the interest rates on personal loans are high.

Hope this helps !!

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 14:01
thevenus wrote:
jaiswalamrita wrote:

Amrita,
your point is valid but let's look again at the ACs.
(E) is more like another premise of the argument but (A) weakens the conclusion by stating an idea that the banks do pay huge salary to hire and retain best officers so the interest rates on personal loans are high.

Hope this helps !!

I understand A also weakens it, but this would be my second choice. On the D day I'll end up choosing E.....looking for some concrete reason to discard this option.
Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2012, 14:01