Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 06:05

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with ISB Admissions Team  | |  Join Chat Room to attend this event

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 09:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.
Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer.
(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.
(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.
(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.
(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.

Need help here.

The only thing that matters is what you believe.

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 09:40
A.

I think it is the only choice that weakens the conclusion drawn in the stem by attributing higher interest rates to the fact that the californian banks have to pay higher wages to retain talent and hence charge higher for services rather than to shortage of competition.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 09:51
I think its B.

A (Talks generally for all bank services not specific to personal loan)
C & E out of Scope.
D strengthens

Took 2.5 minutes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 09:58
dwivedys wrote:
A.

I think it is the only choice that weakens the conclusion drawn in the stem by attributing higher interest rates to the fact that the californian banks have to pay higher wages to retain talent and hence charge higher for services rather than to shortage of competition.

point taken, but it doesn't explain about the relationship with loans.
I think it's out of scope.

Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer.
Can we apply this reason to higher interest rates for loans??
Are depositors equal to borrowers?
Does a loan belong to many of the services they offer?

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 10:10
freetheking wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
A.

Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer.

My bad.. I am sorry.. I completely missed it. You are right A is out.

B looks good to me for the same reasons I had cited earlier for A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 10:19
dwivedys wrote:
freetheking wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
A.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend u.
OA is A..(source CR1000 gmat club)
Still, I don't get it....

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 10:30
Should be A.

When you see weakening type questions then try to find another reason for effect.

More salary to employees----> More expenses to bank -----> To earn profit bank has to increase intrest rates.

So this is the cause not the one mentioned in the passage.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 10:33
ps_dahiya wrote:
Should be A.

When you see weakening type questions then try to find another reason for effect.

More salary to employees----> More expenses to bank -----> To earn profit bank has to increase intrest rates.

So this is the cause not the one mentioned in the passage.

Thanks, ps_dahiya. Good strategy.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 10:40
freetheking wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
freetheking wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
A.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend u.
OA is A..(source CR1000 gmat club)
Still, I don't get it....

It's perfectly alright we are all trying to learn together so there's no offense anyway.

I used the logic that PS has described below for choosing A; However i got confused when you pointed the difference between depositor and borrower.. I flip flopped sadly on this one..
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:interest rates in CA [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 22:09
freetheking wrote:
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.
Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer.
(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.
(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.
(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.
(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.

Need help here.

It's straight A.

Banks in California have to setoff their expenses in terms of high wages they pay to their employees.
So this can be offset by increasing the loan interests.

Regards,
Brajesh
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 06:35
Should be "A"

Conclusion is "there is no competition" that's why higher interest rates but the reason is different as shown in "A"
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 06:38
Initially eliminated A because I misread the passage, but now it makes sense. Great CR!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 01:32
Clear winner A.

Gives an alternate explanation for the higher interest rates in CA banks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:interest rates in CA [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 13:20
This is a tricky one, mainly because of how the question is asked. I chose A because the other answers all strengthen or are neutral to the conclusion. Only A weakens it.
Re: CR:interest rates in CA   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2006, 13:20