Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contacting Stern's AdCom about Late Part Time MBA Deadline?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Operations
Schools: Stern PT '15 (S)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Contacting Stern's AdCom about Late Part Time MBA Deadline? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:32
I live in San Francisco, but really want to relocate to NYC and attend Stern's part-time program. The problem is, Stern's notification date isn't until Aug 15th (and I assume classes start early September). I've already applied, in hopes that they will notify me before notification date, but that isn't guaranteed.

I have already been accepted in USC, which isn't my first choice, but it is a great alternative. Additionally, I am trying to network and look for job opportunities in both regions, but I don't want to make a decision on a job until I know where I will be attending school, which is my first priority.

My question is, should I try to contact the AdCom and ask them to make an earlier decision? Will they listen? Given NYU's late notification date, I can't be the only applicant in this situation, right? I wrote about my situation in the optional essay, but I'm afraid they wont read it until it's too late. Would it be pushy/rude to call them and inform them of my situation? NYU is my first choice, but I am afraid I will have to settle for my second choice if I don't hear of a decision earlier than Aug.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Contacting Stern's AdCom about Late Part Time MBA Deadline? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 01:06
Expert's post
rona0521 wrote:
I live in San Francisco, but really want to relocate to NYC and attend Stern's part-time program. The problem is, Stern's notification date isn't until Aug 15th (and I assume classes start early September). I've already applied, in hopes that they will notify me before notification date, but that isn't guaranteed.

I have already been accepted in USC, which isn't my first choice, but it is a great alternative. Additionally, I am trying to network and look for job opportunities in both regions, but I don't want to make a decision on a job until I know where I will be attending school, which is my first priority.

My question is, should I try to contact the AdCom and ask them to make an earlier decision? Will they listen? Given NYU's late notification date, I can't be the only applicant in this situation, right? I wrote about my situation in the optional essay, but I'm afraid they wont read it until it's too late. Would it be pushy/rude to call them and inform them of my situation? NYU is my first choice, but I am afraid I will have to settle for my second choice if I don't hear of a decision earlier than Aug.

You can certainly contact NYU and let them know that you have been accepted to another program but prefer NYU. You are right that there is no guarantee that they will make their decision earlier, but it is usually helpful to let them know that you are accepted elsewhere. Remember to be polite, deferential, and appreciative with anyone you speak with there - from the secretary to the provost.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog