Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contacting Stern's AdCom about Part Time MBA Decison?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: Nonprofit, Operations
Schools: Stern PT '15 (S)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Contacting Stern's AdCom about Part Time MBA Decison? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:30
I live in San Francisco, but really want to relocate to NYC and attend Stern's part-time program. The problem is, Stern's notification date isn't until Aug 15th (and I assume classes start early September). I've already applied, in hopes that they will notify me before notification date, but that isn't guaranteed.

I have already been accepted in USC, which isn't my first choice, but it is a great alternative. Additionally, I am trying to network and look for job opportunities in both regions, but I don't want to make a decision on a job until I know where I will be attending school, which is my first priority.

My question is, should I try to contact the AdCom and ask them to make an earlier decision? Will they listen? Given NYU's late notification date, I can't be the only applicant in this situation, right? I wrote about my situation in the optional essay, but I'm afraid they wont read it until it's too late. Would it be pushy/rude to call them and inform them of my situation? NYU is my first choice, but I am afraid I will have to settle for my second choice if I don't hear of a decision earlier than Aug.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 840
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Contacting Stern's AdCom about Part Time MBA Decison? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 18:25
Expert's post
Hi Rona:

This is a very interesting question and my feedback is meant to be honest and respectful.
Allow me to rephrase your question as this – "Os it okay if I ask the committee to "hurry up" and make me a priority?"

The short and overwhelming answer is – no.

Basically, you had the expectation going into the process that they would somehow prioritize your application – even though they gave no indication that they would entertain such an idea. I call that a false expectation.
Asking the admissions committee to speed things up will tell them a lot about you - if you have not already told them "a lot" about you through the optional essay you wrote.

What could it tell them? It could tell them that you do not understand the difference between reality and make believe. That is, what the actual expectation they set was, and what you somehow hoped it would be in your own mind. That may not be true, but that is what you are signaling. Don't refuse to acknowledge and accept the realities of their tedious job – which is to process thousands of applications in the order that they are received.

Also, asking them what your chances are, after having already written about it is basically doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result. According to Ben Franklin, that is the definition of insanity. As an aside - I am rather curious to know what you may have written in your optional essay. If you submitted a long time ago, and had yet to receive your interview invite, I would say that your chances are looking fairly poor. I am also curious as to how you may have explained why someone working in the Bay Area planned to move across country, get a job and attend NYU's part-time program.

At this point, you should try to triangulate. Basically, if you submitted quite a while ago and have not received any new communication or interview invite, you are probably DOA. NYU may just be waiting for the deadline to send your rejection notice, but then again I am only speculating based on the limited information that you provided me.

One last thought – have you actually logged on to your application or checked to see the app status? Is it under review?

At this point, I would consider accepting Marshall's invite.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti


rona0521 wrote:
I live in San Francisco, but really want to relocate to NYC and attend Stern's part-time program. The problem is, Stern's notification date isn't until Aug 15th (and I assume classes start early September). I've already applied, in hopes that they will notify me before notification date, but that isn't guaranteed.

I have already been accepted in USC, which isn't my first choice, but it is a great alternative. Additionally, I am trying to network and look for job opportunities in both regions, but I don't want to make a decision on a job until I know where I will be attending school, which is my first priority.

My question is, should I try to contact the AdCom and ask them to make an earlier decision? Will they listen? Given NYU's late notification date, I can't be the only applicant in this situation, right? I wrote about my situation in the optional essay, but I'm afraid they wont read it until it's too late. Would it be pushy/rude to call them and inform them of my situation? NYU is my first choice, but I am afraid I will have to settle for my second choice if I don't hear of a decision earlier than Aug.

_________________


Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Chances of getting into Stern Part time MBA mani555 1 25 Jul 2012, 09:44
Experts publish their posts in the topic chances of getting into Stern Part time MBA mani555 2 25 Jul 2012, 09:03
Experts publish their posts in the topic Contacting Stern's AdCom about Late Part Time MBA Deadline? rona0521 1 26 Mar 2012, 22:32
Contacting Stern's AdCom about Late Part Time MBA Deadline? rona0521 2 26 Mar 2012, 22:28
Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program Speaker8000 5 11 Apr 2009, 22:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Contacting Stern's AdCom about Part Time MBA Decison?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: PaulLanzillotti



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.