This is a very interesting question and my feedback is meant to be honest and respectful.
Allow me to rephrase your question as this – "Os it okay if I ask the committee to "hurry up" and make me a priority?"The short and overwhelming answer is – no.
Basically, you had the expectation going into the process that they would somehow prioritize your application – even though they gave no indication that they would entertain such an idea. I call that a false expectation.
Asking the admissions committee to speed things up will tell them a lot about you - if you have not already told them "a lot" about you through the optional essay you wrote.
What could it tell them? It could tell them that you do not understand the difference between reality and make believe. That is, what the actual expectation they set was, and what you somehow hoped it would be in your own mind. That may not be true, but that is what you are signaling. Don't refuse to acknowledge and accept the realities of their tedious job – which is to process thousands of applications in the order that they are received.
Also, asking them what your chances are, after having already written about it
is basically doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result. According to Ben Franklin, that is the definition of insanity. As an aside - I am rather curious to know what you may have written in your optional essay. If you submitted a long time ago, and had yet to receive your interview invite, I would say that your chances are looking fairly poor. I am also curious as to how you may have explained why someone working in the Bay Area planned to move across country, get a job and attend NYU's part-time program.
At this point, you should try to triangulate. Basically, if you submitted quite a while ago and have not received any new communication or interview invite, you are probably DOA. NYU may just be waiting for the deadline to send your rejection notice, but then again I am only speculating based on the limited information that you provided me.
One last thought – have you actually logged on to your application or checked to see the app status? Is it under review?
At this point, I would consider accepting Marshall's invite.
I live in San Francisco, but really want to relocate to NYC and attend Stern's part-time program. The problem is, Stern's notification date isn't until Aug 15th (and I assume classes start early September). I've already applied, in hopes that they will notify me before notification date, but that isn't guaranteed.
I have already been accepted in USC, which isn't my first choice, but it is a great alternative. Additionally, I am trying to network and look for job opportunities in both regions, but I don't want to make a decision on a job until I know where I will be attending school, which is my first priority.
My question is, should I try to contact the AdCom and ask them to make an earlier decision? Will they listen? Given NYU's late notification date, I can't be the only applicant in this situation, right? I wrote about my situation in the optional essay, but I'm afraid they wont read it until it's too late. Would it be pushy/rude to call them and inform them of my situation? NYU is my first choice, but I am afraid I will have to settle for my second choice if I don't hear of a decision earlier than Aug.
Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | email@example.com | 877.866.9251
Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog
Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton