Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 17:18
i too picked C. It is little wordy, but fits better than A. A to me looked awkward.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 51

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 04:55
A for brevity. took m e 2 mins :(

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 02:26
Between illiterate and driven there should have been a comma else its a run on.
I went for C because of parallelism and meaning.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 03:49
Expert's post
IMO, the passage is testing essentially an expression of paradoxical intention with concision. Basically the accounts show only one aspect i.e. the founder of the renaissance was himself an illiterate person. His being driven by a desire to achieve something was an auxiliary and not equal to the main theme that he was illiterate. Such subordinate factors are best articulated by appropriate participles.

That is the reason choices that use the relative pronoun 'that' in the second arm are tending to distort the meaning of the passage, as though there were two equivalent factors. We can eliminate choice C and D on the count of altered intent alone.

B - was himself an illiterate and also driven by his desire – is unparallel; in addition ‘and also’ is redundant.

E is out because of non-//ism with a passive voice and active voice construction.

A correctly brings out the crux of the author, using optimal wordage.

A good and deep conceptual question and a +1 to the poster.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 04:16
I read OE explaining that driven modify illiterate. I still don't see anything wrong in C which says man was illiterate and he was driven by desire

OE: A glance at the answer choices suggests that the issue here involves the participle “ driven. ” The sentence gives the surprising detail that a person interested in literature was illiterate, and then explains why an illiterate would have such an interest. As such, the participle “ driven ” is an integral description of the word “ illiterate, ” not of the man in general. Therefore, the participle must stand as it is and choice (A) is correct. Each other choice separates illiterate from driven, altering the meaning of the sentence.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 15:28
I fell for D as well but A makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 17:53
what's wrong w/ C? there is really no clear explanation...
Is it cause it's Passive construction?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 19:14
hemanthp wrote:
Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned emperor by the pope in 800, show that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire for a civilized state to reform education in his kingdom.
a) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire
b) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and also driven by his desire
c) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire
d) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire
e) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that his desire drove him

A - Correct
B - wordy ("as well as", "also driven" )
C - we can't use ||ism here. "that he was driven by desire" was NOT shown by contemporary accounts.
D - same as C
E -same as C

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 11:38
confused between A and E, but chose A

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMs

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 19:35
Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned emperor by the pope in 800, show that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire for a civilized state to reform education in his kingdom.
a) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire
c) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire

COnfused between A and C.

can anybody tell me what is the role played by "driven" in option A. Is it adjective for the noun "illiterate"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:55
Picked C but confused between A & C.
Any expert voice on each options?

Cheers.!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 15:56
Still i am confused between A,C and D can anyone take time and clearly explain what wrong with A,C and D?

Initially i thought the answer is D...

Thanks in advance,

+1 Kudos for the clear explanation

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2.10

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 19:40
Got stuck between C and A, for over 40 seconds... Then saw that A had a better continuation than C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 22:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 00:22
hirendhanak wrote:
dokiyoki wrote:
Why is D incorrect ?

Let me try to explain between A and D

d) that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire

D === the answer choice uses " as well as " , as well as can be used in place of and , but it is ideally used for not only..... but also, and should not be replace AND if not necessary, apart from that the later part of the sentence is wordy == AND THAT HE WAS

A=== flawless and best option available with brevity in place

Driven is used as past participle, and we avoid being passive as far as possible.

Sir i have a doubt:

I think answer option A does not obey parallelism
in literature and 'in' the arts
PLz help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 08:49
I try to understand A.

the meaning of the pattern
desire for somebody to do something

is
I wish that somebody do something

a person driven by the desire for somebody to do something

is correct.

the key here is the pattern

desire for somebody to do something

this question play on a rarely used idiom/pattern and should be test for 40 verbal level and so is not worth studying

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Charlmagne [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 23:40
saxenashobhit wrote:
I read OE explaining that driven modify illiterate. I still don't see anything wrong in C which says man was illiterate and he was driven by desire

OE: A glance at the answer choices suggests that the issue here involves the participle “ driven. ” The sentence gives the surprising detail that a person interested in literature was illiterate, and then explains why an illiterate would have such an interest. As such, the participle “ driven ” is an integral description of the word “ illiterate, ” not of the man in general. Therefore, the participle must stand as it is and choice (A) is correct. Each other choice separates illiterate from driven, altering the meaning of the sentence.

Hi saxenamohit,

This is what I understand. The sentence is trying to tell about a person who is illiterate with some characteristics. As we know, driven is past participle which modifies the immediate preceding noun. Here, driven...... is modifying illiterate. This is the intended meaning of the sentence.

Correct me If I am wrong.

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 03:10
I fragmented option A as following:

that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and
that the founder of the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire

if above fragmentation is correct then don't you think that statement is saying that someone is founder of the arts.

in literature and the arts are not parallel, thus IMO A is not clear in meaning.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 07:35
PiyushK wrote:
I fragmented option A as following:

that the founder of the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire

if above fragmentation is correct then don't you think that statement is saying that someone is founder of the arts.

in literature and the arts are not parallel, thus IMO A is not clear in meaning.

I guess this is not the case here..
I believe it should be:
that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in the arts
was ...

And here the C is a bit wordy as the that can be skipped without change of meaning..In fact after reading it now I feel C does change the meaning a bit as it distances the driven modifier away from illiterate..

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 07:38
which of the following you think is parallel ?
in the arts and literature
in the arts and the literature
in arts and literature

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2014, 07:38