Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 514
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 269

Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:59) correct 48% (01:03) wrong based on 193 sessions
Contrary to popular belief, video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate their teaching potential.
A. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
B. video games aren‘t just to kill an idle Thursday evening, but a variety of recent studies, in fact, have begun to demonstrate
C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
E. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, and a variety of recent studies have begun in demonstration of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html


Last edited by getgyan on 05 Oct 2012, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 104
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Contrary to popular belief [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 00:28
getgyan wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate their teaching potential.
A. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
B. video games aren‘t just to kill an idle Thursday evening, but a variety of recent studies, in fact, have begun to demonstrate
C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
E. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, and a variety of recent studies have begun in demonstration of


IMO B...
not just ...but a variety .... is the correct usage other issues with sentences have been marked in red.
What is the answer?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Fighting Gravity..
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 29
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.25
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 6

Re: Contrary to popular belief [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 01:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Tricky one.
I shortlisted A and D. Going with D as I think ';' is required.

in B. "Not just... but a variety" seems clumsy or a kind of a run on sentence to me.

OA and explanation plz...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 514
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 269

Re: Contrary to popular belief [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
ankushgrover wrote:
OA and explanation plz...


+1D

A comma cannot be used to link two independent clauses. We require a conjunction, full stop or a semi colon after "evening"

Eliminate option A, B and E

Plural "Studies' will take the verb have and not has

C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate

:-D
_________________

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 62

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 04:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Joining two independent sentences, hence ; is needed. Eliminate A,B.
C. recent studies + Has -> SVA issue.
E. in demonstration of is incorrect.

D wins.
_________________

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 19:36
A question on SV agreement.

Why isn't it variety...has begun to demonstrate, correct, and thus answer choice C?
That is, why is it "studies have begun to demonstrate" rather than "variety...has begun"? Can't you just ignore the of clause?

C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 153
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 03:00
banaorange wrote:
A question on SV agreement.

Why isn't it variety...has begun to demonstrate, correct, and thus answer choice C?
That is, why is it "studies have begun to demonstrate" rather than "variety...has begun"? Can't you just ignore the of clause?

C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate



I have the same question. Why isn't C correct? A variety... has begun to demonstrate.

Studies is in the prepositional phrase "of recent studies" and "a variety" is not quantity unlike majority etc. So isnt the OA C. Please clarify.
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 153
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 36

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 03:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
maaadhu wrote:
banaorange wrote:
A question on SV agreement.

Why isn't it variety...has begun to demonstrate, correct, and thus answer choice C?
That is, why is it "studies have begun to demonstrate" rather than "variety...has begun"? Can't you just ignore the of clause?

C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate



I have the same question. Why isn't C correct? A variety... has begun to demonstrate.

Studies is in the prepositional phrase "of recent studies" and "a variety" is not quantity unlike majority etc. So isnt the OA C. Please clarify.



After searching in google, I found the below link that has great explanation from knewton

contrary-to-popular-belief-video-games-arent-just-for-107348.html
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 05:28
Can anybody tell me , what is wrong with option B?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 49

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 04:37
I don't this is a valid question , because the difference between A and D is only the punctuation, GMAT would never differentiate between two sentences based JUST on punctuation.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Tomorrow will be a new day...
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 943
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 209

Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 11:35
gauravsoni wrote:
I don't this is a valid question , because the difference between A and D is only the punctuation, GMAT would never differentiate between two sentences based JUST on punctuation.


It's a normal and a less difficult question. Here we are just dealing with punctuation and subject verb errors, whereas other types of questions demands understanding of meaning as well.

In choice A, sentence is run on because we have not placed any proper coordinating conjunction. such error is not just a punctuation error in gmat world: it's serious crime.

I would say don't juxtapose A with D. Just assess whether A is acceptable as such or not. In D punctuation is smartly used to connect two ICs.

If you have just begin with SC then I say your perspective will change with time towards such question in coming days. This question is within limits of tested concepts in GMAT.

:yes
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 465
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2014, 07:24
Isn't a "variety of studies" single?
It's not the same as a "number of studies"? or is it?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2014, 18:19
ronr34 wrote:
Isn't a "variety of studies" single?
It's not the same as a "number of studies"? or is it?


Yes, "Variety" similar to "bunch" and "a number" => A collection of distinct items.

"A number" is plural. "The number" is singular.
Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2014, 18:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for thelosthippie 2 18 Apr 2013, 08:27
1 Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for vix 8 14 Dec 2011, 07:49
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Contrary to popular belief, extinction is a common milanproda 20 07 Aug 2011, 17:33
11 Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for daryayurlova 18 04 Jan 2011, 13:44
CS:Contrary to popular belief Fuqua 7 05 Jun 2005, 09:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Contrary to popular belief, video games aren t just for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.