Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 13:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:56) correct 36% (00:52) wrong based on 132 sessions
Contrary to popular belief, video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate their teaching potential.

A. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
B. video games aren‘t just to kill an idle Thursday evening, but a variety of recent studies, in fact, have begun to demonstrate
C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
E. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, and a variety of recent studies have begun in demonstration of

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
Can anyone explain to me - a variety of smth is singular or plural? Does it matter whether the noun after of is singular or plural? Trying to understand if there is flaw in my logic, or the OA is wrong.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [3] , given: 0

Re: a variety of <...> - singular or plural? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yes, the number of "a variety of" depends on what comes after the "of." This particular use of "variety", meaning, "a number of different types," will always be paired with a plural noun after the "of" and so it will always end up being plural. A number of words have a similar property -- including, for instance, the phrase "a number of" in this very sentence! The words that could take either singular OR plural form based on what comes after the "of" are Most, Majority, Some, All, and Half. For instance:

"Most of the people here ARE very clever."
"Most of the window IS already broken."
"Half of the sausages ARE poisonous."
"Half of the water HAS already evaporated."

For "variety," again, you'll always see plural words after "of," unless it's a slightly different meaning, such as:

"A variety of bumblebee is noun to attempt pollination of plastic flowers."

However, fear not; I'm fairly certain there is no such bumblebee in real life.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: a variety of <...> - singular or plural? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 14:22
wow great explanation ! thank you!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Independent clause- Pls clarify [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 00:09
Contrary to popular belief, video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate their teaching potential.

A. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety
of recent studies have begun to demonstrate

B. video games aren‘t just to kill an idle Thursday evening, but a variety of
recent studies, in fact, have begun to demonstrate

C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety
of recent studies has begun to demonstrate

D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a
variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate

E. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, and a variety of
recent studies have begun in demonstration of
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 00:26
The issue must be between A or D...

A and D differ by the use of semi colon here.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Manager
Manager

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 01:12
I am confused regarding the use of semicolon here:

video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a
variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate

I understand that semicolon is used to connect two independent clauses. But the sentence after semicolon does not looks like a independent clause "their teaching potential" . " their" is unclear.

Please clarify.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 02:53
My answer would also be D.

I would say that A is a run-on sentence. The comma is not sufficient to connect the two main clauses; however, a semicolon solve this problem.

I would also say that "Video games" is clearly the subject in the first clause making "their" unambiguous. What else could be the antecedent?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
A or D confused with the semicolon here

Kaustubh

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
I think it should be A....I'm confused as well, the second clause is dependent on the first one because of the pronoun "their"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 59

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
arzad wrote:
I think it should be A....I'm confused as well, the second clause is dependent on the first one because of the pronoun "their"

SC experts plz clear this confusion.why semi colon usage is correct in this sentence.

Thanks in Advance
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 17:43
soul123 wrote:
arzad wrote:

SC experts plz clear this confusion.why semi colon usage is correct in this sentence.

Thanks in Advance

The independence of clauses in ; usage allows use of pronouns. Think about it, if there were no correlation between the two clauses, the punctuation may well be a . (fullstop/period). Presence of pronouns should not be considered while deciding independence of clauses.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 22:55
I also got confused about it
D I think

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

2 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
Clauses are "dependent" or "independent" only based on the presence of a main subject and main verb. Here we have "games aren't," a subject and a verb, neither one subordinated by a relative pronoun, preposition, or subordinating conjunction, so they are a Main Subject and a Main Verb. Later, we have "variety ... has begun," another subject and verb, again Main Subject & Verb because they are not subordinated. Two independent clauses require either a semicolon or a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS).

Furthermore, the verb cannot be "have" in the second clause; the subject is "variety." Remember, anything following a preposition, such as "of," is NEVER the main subject of anything. "recent studies" is the object of "of," not the subject of "have begun."

In terms of pronouns, pronoun ambiguity only has to do with whether or not there is one clear logical antecedent, agreeing in number with the pronoun. An ambiguous pronoun does not make a sentence "dependent." Take, for example, the following paragraph:

"I am really happy with my GMAT tutor. He is professional and knowledgeable and on time and knows a lot about the test. I am thankful for this, because it is a difficult test."

All three sentences are clearly complete sentences and fully independent clauses. "He" in the second sentence refers to "tutor," and "it" in the third refers to "test." Obviously on the GMAT this never happens, since Sentence Correction only tests single sentences. However, the moral of the story is that, in English grammar, pronouns do not have to have their antecedents in the same sentence or clause.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Manager
Manager

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 00:45
AdamKnewton wrote:
Clauses are "dependent" or "independent" only based on the presence of a main subject and main verb. Here we have "games aren't," a subject and a verb, neither one subordinated by a relative pronoun, preposition, or subordinating conjunction, so they are a Main Subject and a Main Verb. Later, we have "variety ... has begun," another subject and verb, again Main Subject & Verb because they are not subordinated. Two independent clauses require either a semicolon or a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS).

Furthermore, the verb cannot be "have" in the second clause; the subject is "variety." Remember, anything following a preposition, such as "of," is NEVER the main subject of anything. "recent studies" is the object of "of," not the subject of "have begun."

In terms of pronouns, pronoun ambiguity only has to do with whether or not there is one clear logical antecedent, agreeing in number with the pronoun. An ambiguous pronoun does not make a sentence "dependent." Take, for example, the following paragraph:

"I am really happy with my GMAT tutor. He is professional and knowledgeable and on time and knows a lot about the test. I am thankful for this, because it is a difficult test."

All three sentences are clearly complete sentences and fully independent clauses. "He" in the second sentence refers to "tutor," and "it" in the third refers to "test." Obviously on the GMAT this never happens, since Sentence Correction only tests single sentences. However, the moral of the story is that, in English grammar, pronouns do not have to have their antecedents in the same sentence or clause.

Gr8 Explanation Adam. Thanks for clearing this BIG doubt.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Re: SC- Video games aren‘t just for killing [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 17:28
Thanks for this explanation, Adam!

I had a doubt.. Since variety is a quantity and for quantities the object of the prep phrase is treated as the subject, (eg: A number of students ARE...) the verb must be "have" since studies is plural. Can you please explain this?

Thanks!!

AdamKnewton wrote:

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 23:56
I understand that the correct answer is D.
But isn't the use for 'for -ing' incorrect?
Its better to use 'to verb' instead (although in this question option B is wrong because of other reasons as well)

Can someone explain when using 'for -ing' is better than using 'to verb'?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 46

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 12:10
daryayurlova wrote:

A. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
B. video games aren‘t just to kill an idle Thursday evening, but a variety of recent studies, in fact, have begun to demonstrate
C. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies has begun to demonstrate
D. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening; in fact, a variety of recent studies have begun to demonstrate
E. video games aren‘t just for killing an idle Thursday evening, and a variety of recent studies have begun in demonstration of

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
Can anyone explain to me - a variety of smth is singular or plural? Does it matter whether the noun after of is singular or plural? Trying to understand if there is flaw in my logic, or the OA is wrong.

First i picked c later i found where i was wrong& my mistakes.............
VP
VP
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 04:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 122

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 12:05
Snippet from article published here http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... S.0706.pdf.

The stylebook’s entry on collective nouns
advises that with words such as variety, number
and total, a rule of thumb is to use a singular
verb when the article the precedes the noun
and a plural verb when the article a is used.

Understand what mentioned above in conjunction with explanation by Adam in above comments.

A variety of bird is very popular (correct)
A variety of birds are in our building (correct)
The variety in languages is rare. (correct)

So there was something more left to learn besides "a number of".

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Contrary to popular belief, video games arent just for   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2014, 12:05