Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [67]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [28]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service [#permalink]
Given:
the movement toward a service economy is leading neither to X, <more of an unequal distribution of income>, or Y.

<more of an unequal distribution of income> modifies X

->the movement toward a service economy is leading neither to X or displacing Y.

The idiom is neither X nor Y

B. leading neither to lower standards of living nor a more unequal distribution of income, or
>>leading neither to X nor Z, or displacing Y.
undiomatic

C. not leading to either lower standards of living nor to more of an unequal distribution of income, and neither is it
>>wrong usage of "either"

D. not leading to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, and it is not
>>undiomatic
idiom not X or Y

E. not leading to lower standards of living or to a more unequal distribution of income, nor is it
>>idiomatic
not leading to X or Y, nor is it Y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
GPA: 2.67
Send PM
I dint understand the Answer, can someone please tell me the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
magicmanisha wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service economy is leading neither to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, or displacing the physical production of goods.
(A) leading neither to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, or
(B) leading neither to lower standards of living nor a more unequal distribution of income, or
(C) not leading to either lower standards of living nor to more of an unequal distribution of income, and neither is it
(D) not leading to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, and it is not
(E) not leading to lower standards of living or to a more unequal distribution of income, nor is it

Nowhere they have used the correct idiom i.e. 'neither nor'

Here dont look for just the idiom. Look at the sentence as well. A,C and D can be ruled out because both the idiom usage and the sentence construction are wrong.
B has the correct idiom but 'or' after the comma does not give the correct meaning to the sentence.
E fits best.

Hope this helps.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service economy is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
First, B is wrong because you can't say "neither . . . or"--you need "nor." However, the flaw in parallelism isn't between "leading" and "displacing," but between "neither to lower standards" and "nor a more unequal distribution."

We need to say "This leads neither to X nor to Y" or "This leads to neither X nor Y." This is a general rule of parallelism. It's the same principle that make this wrong:

I don't like my new laptop because it is buggy, cumbersome, and it is crash-prone.

I should say "it is buggy, cumbersome, and crash-prone," or (if I must) "it is buggy, it is cumbersome, and it is crash-prone." (This latter approach, which uses repetition for emphasis, would be more likely to show up in a speech or an essay than on an SC problem.) In any case, do you see the issue? Since "neither . . . nor" serves as our pair of parallelism markers, the items after those markers need to match precisely. An extra part of speech, such as a preposition ("to") or a pronoun ("it") breaks the parallelism spell!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service [#permalink]
Kudos
rajathpanta wrote:
magicmanisha wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service economy is leading neither to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, or displacing the physical production of goods.
(A) leading neither to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, or
(B) leading neither to lower standards of living nor a more unequal distribution of income, or
(C) not leading to either lower standards of living nor to more of an unequal distribution of income, and neither is it
(D) not leading to lower standards of living, more of an unequal distribution of income, and it is not
(E) not leading to lower standards of living or to a more unequal distribution of income, nor is it

Nowhere they have used the correct idiom i.e. 'neither nor'

Here dont look for just the idiom. Look at the sentence as well. A,C and D can be ruled out because both the idiom usage and the sentence construction are wrong.
B has the correct idiom but 'or' after the comma does not give the correct meaning to the sentence.
E fits best.

Hope this helps.

It is right that GMAT seldom test idiom, so better ignore them unless nothing else can be considered!

OA is E, and let's analyze the options from the parallelism angle: this is a dual-level parallel question.
The context is saying that the "movement" is not leading to two bad results, and it is not displacing sth. that originally existed.
The two bad results are: (1) lower standards of living. (2) an unequal distribution of income.
(Use our common macro-economic sense, and we know that the two issues are parallel, since either issue cannot explain the other.)

Wrong.
(1) "more of" means "the thing mentioned above really looks like blablabla". However, the latter is not used to explain the former.
(2) They are not parallel.

Wrong.
(1) The structures "neither to lower standards of living" and "nor a more unequal distribution" are not parallel. A "to" in the latter is missing in the latter.
(2) Here the relationship of "leading" and "displacing" is wrong: This option is saying that one of them will occur (see "or" ), but in fact both will occur.

Wrong.
(1) The structures "to either lower standards of living" and "nor to more of an unequal distribution" are not parallel.
(2) "and neither" looks really redundant. "neither" itself is enough.

Wrong.
(1) "more of" means "the thing mentioned above really looks like blablabla". However, the latter is not used to explain the former.
(2) Since this is a negative description, we do not prefer "and it is not". "nor" will be better.

Correct.
Note that "nor is it" is an inversion.

BTW, seriously, by simply looking at the end of the sentence and considering the relationship between "leading" and "replacing", we can cross out "or" and "and". Then OA is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V19
Send PM
Re: Contrary to popular opinion, the movement toward a service economy is [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
First, B is wrong because you can't say "neither . . . or"--you need "nor." However, the flaw in parallelism isn't between "leading" and "displacing," but between "neither to lower standards" and "nor a more unequal distribution."

We need to say "This leads neither to X nor to Y" or "This leads to neither X nor Y." This is a general rule of parallelism. It's the same principle that make this wrong:

I don't like my new laptop because it is buggy, cumbersome, and it is crash-prone.

I should say "it is buggy, cumbersome, and crash-prone," or (if I must) "it is buggy, it is cumbersome, and it is crash-prone." (This latter approach, which uses repetition for emphasis, would be more likely to show up in a speech or an essay than on an SC problem.) In any case, do you see the issue? Since "neither . . . nor" serves as our pair of parallelism markers, the items after those markers need to match precisely. An extra part of speech, such as a preposition ("to") or a pronoun ("it") breaks the parallelism spell!

I rejected option E because I thought here the list is unparallell
not leading to lower standards of living
or to a more unequal distribution of income,
nor is it

Can you please explain why D is wrong and E is correct??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nor is present without neither. How is it correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos