Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 09:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:30) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early 1960's that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually undermine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

A) would gradually undermine it
B) to be a gradual undermining of it
C) would be a gradual undermining of ethnicity
D) to gradually undermine ethnicity
E) gradually undermining it

Please explain your answer.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 11:20
the OA is A! :) I have a little trick that i'll share with you. Normally, whenever you see the word "predict", you know that the word "will" will have to follow eventually. However, because this prediction occurred in the past, you will have to convert the "will" into its past form, which is "would." That should narrow your answer choices down to A and C. Obviously, C is clumsy, so we're left with option A.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 15:05
tarek99 wrote:
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early 1960's that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually undermine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

BCD all are either too wordy or ungramitical.

Only A and E remains. E is not complete. There is no verb at all in the first clause. It was a predicition in the past but the things did not move according to the prediction. This is an unfulfilled prediction and, therefore, the verb "would" is correct.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 17:56
Isn't the "it" in a) ambiguous ? What is the "it" referring to Modernization, rationalization or ethnicity ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 19:33
bhushangiri wrote:
Isn't the "it" in a) ambiguous ? What is the "it" referring to Modernization, rationalization or ethnicity ?

I was thinking the same thing on this one. "It" doesn't seem really clear - it could refer to scholarly wisdom or ethnicity so that lead me to look at those answer choices ending with Ethnicity even though it seems odd. I dunno about this one because "it" doesn't seem clear.

Hoping someone can clear this one up...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 00:38
tarek99 wrote:

Guys, the main sentence is missing "that" after predicted. With the sentence as is, D makes more sense that any other choice.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 00:59
sanjay_gmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Guys, the main sentence is missing "that" after predicted. With the sentence as is, D makes more sense that any other choice.

I see what you mean, however, we already have a "that" before "predict", so it wouldn't look nice to have another "that" after "predict." I think you would be correct if we never had "that" before. Also, the prediction in this sentence is referring to an event that took place in the past, so "would" is necessary. If the prediction is about an event that didn't occur yet, then we will need the "will". hope that helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 02:27
tarek99 wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

I see what you mean, however, we already have a "that" before "predict", so it wouldn't look nice to have another "that" after "predict." I think you would be correct if we never had "that" before. Also, the prediction in this sentence is referring to an event that took place in the past, so "would" is necessary. If the prediction is about an event that didn't occur yet, then we will need the "will". hope that helps

I don't think it's a matter of will/would ( i have seen this in your previous post too). The sentence is:

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early 1960's that predicted ....(WHAT)

predicted MUST be followed by a noun.

So THAT is a must after predicted in the sentence, if A has to be true.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 02:39
ok, i'll try to answer your question. In order to understand what the sentence is really saying, it will be easier to understand if you take away all the prepositional phrases. Here is the sentence without the prepositional phrases:

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom...that predicted the processes....would gradually undermine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon....

So that should answer the "what" for you. The prediction is that the processes would gradually undermine ethnicity.
as for "it", it is referring to "ethnicity." How do I know that? well, if you take a look at the sentence that starts with "contrary", that part of the sentence is structured as a modifier. Any pronoun you see in a modifier will always be referring to the subject of the main clause attached to the modifier. So what is our subject of the main clause attached to the modifier? it's "ethnicity."

Does this help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 03:10
tarek99 wrote:
ok, i'll try to answer your question. In order to understand what the sentence is really saying, it will be easier to understand if you take away all the prepositional phrases. Here is the sentence without the prepositional phrases:

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom...that predicted the processes....would gradually undermine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon....

So that should answer the "what" for you. The prediction is that the processes would gradually undermine ethnicity.
as for "it", it is referring to "ethnicity." How do I know that? well, if you take a look at the sentence that starts with "contrary", that part of the sentence is structured as a modifier. Any pronoun you see in a modifier will always be referring to the subject of the main clause attached to the modifier. So what is our subject of the main clause attached to the modifier? it's "ethnicity."

Does this help?

Tarek, you haven't answered the question. You spent more lines to explain "it/ethnicity".

Now, going back to the question.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early 1960's that predicted..

The that in above line is acting as a pronoun that modifies "scholarly wisdom". So it's the scholarly wisdom that predicted. Rewriting :

Scholarly wisdom predicted ....(what?)

It predicted "that" .......

So, "that" is needed after "predicted" to make the rest of the sentence a phrase that acts as a noun.

comments?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 04:53
sanjay_gmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Does this help?

I did explain what was the prediction. I've highlighted that part on my last post.

Tarek, you haven't answered the question. You spent more lines to explain "it/ethnicity".

Now, going back to the question.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950's and early 1960's that predicted..

The that in above line is acting as a pronoun that modifies "scholarly wisdom". So it's the scholarly wisdom that predicted. Rewriting :

Scholarly wisdom predicted ....(what?)

It predicted "that" .......

So, "that" is needed after "predicted" to make the rest of the sentence a phrase that acts as a noun.

comments?

I did explain what was the prediction. I've highlighted that part from my last post in red for you. So, to write it again for you:

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom that predicted the processes would gradually undermine ethnicity.
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 05:14
sanjay_gmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

I'm not really sure if the sentence needs a "that". e.g. The philosophers predicted a victory for King Arthur.

Where I struggled (as did others) was the "it" part. I thought long and hard and reached answer A via POE.

Tarek - good catch on the predicted/would. I didn't think of it explicitly, but I knew a would needed to be there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 06:55
stopper5 wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

I'm not really sure if the sentence needs a "that". e.g. The philosophers predicted a victory for King Arthur.

Where I struggled (as did others) was the "it" part. I thought long and hard and reached answer A via POE.

Tarek - good catch on the predicted/would. I didn't think of it explicitly, but I knew a would needed to be there.

You example sentence indeed doesn't need a "that" because "a victory" is a noun by itself. Here, without that, it sounds as if the wisdom predicted the processes, since the processes is a noun. Here, a phrase should act as a noun. Hence a that is needed. In fact, your example sentence shows that a that is needed here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 28

Re: SC: interesting problem [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 18:32
raconteur wrote:
bhushangiri wrote:

I was thinking the same thing on this one. "It" doesn't seem really clear - it could refer to scholarly wisdom or ethnicity so that lead me to look at those answer choices ending with Ethnicity even though it seems odd. I dunno about this one because "it" doesn't seem clear.

Hoping someone can clear this one up...

This question is a very old GMAT(paper) question which doesnt reflect the lingo GMAT tests now. I am quoting things here from MGMAT here...

This is something which has been quoted somewhere else.
When you look at idiomatic usage, you have to look at the complete structure. In this case, we have "that predicted X [noun] would / will Y [noun or verb-noun]." So that matches with what we've got here.

The structure that you use for the sentence about the dollar is different - there, I say "X [noun] is predicted to Y [noun or verb-noun]."

FYI - one reason I say these aren't the best source of study: in recent years, they have stayed away from introducing subject and (often) object pronouns before the antecedent itself is introduced. But, in this case, the correct answer does place the object pronoun "it" before the introduction of the antecedent, ethnicity.

The old paper ones are SO old though that they can be vastly different from what you'll see today (the last time the test was given in paper format was 1997).

For instance, nowadays, they strongly avoid using subject pronouns before the antecedent in a sentence, and they generally avoid using object pronouns before the antecedent. But, here, they do use an object pronoun before the antecedent. You're less likely to see that today.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: SC: interesting problem   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2011, 18:32