Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 May 2016, 23:41
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2010
Posts: 141
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 00:16
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:56) correct 37% (01:12) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statictics

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

(A) would gradually undermine it
(B) to be a gradual undermining of it
(C) would be a gradual undermining of ethnicity
(D) to gradually undermine ethnicity
(E) gradually undermining it

Since verb prediected has appeared it should complement with would verb? Is this correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1712
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 681 [1] , given: 109

Re: Ethnicity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
+1 A

In this sentence , “predicted” works as a reporting verb. When you report something that someone said, you have to modify the verbs used by that person.
In this case, “will” must be modified. Now, it is “would”.
Maybe, you will say "where is the word "will" in the sentence?" Remember that the sentence mentioned a prediction; therefore, someone in the past said "will" in that prediction.

Take a look to the reporting speech rules.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 7377
Followers: 697

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 19:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3505
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 483

Kudos [?]: 3936 [0], given: 320

Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 07:32
Expert's post
The sentence structure of the prompt is a little odd here idiomatically. We always say X reported Y to do z or x reported that Y would do Z. it is odd to say that X reported Y would do Z. When we do not use the connector ‘that’ then we can use the infinitive, On the contrary, if we want to take the relative clause route, then the connector 'that' and a verb are necessary. A seems to be a hybrid, which does seem to fit in. D looks less objectionable, IMO
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1167
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 392

Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 03:47
udaymathapati wrote:
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

(A) would gradually undermine it
(B) to be a gradual undermining of it
(C) would be a gradual undermining of ethnicity
(D) to gradually undermine ethnicity
(E) gradually undermining it

Since verb prediected has appeared it should complement with would verb? Is this correct?


in A, the OA, "it" pronoun appear before it noun. this case is called forward reference to differentiate with bacward case, in which noun appears before pronoun.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 07:51
daagh wrote:
The sentence structure of the prompt is a little odd here idiomatically. We always say X reported Y to do z or x reported that Y would do Z. it is odd to say that X reported Y would do Z. When we do not use the connector ‘that’ then we can use the infinitive, On the contrary, if we want to take the relative clause route, then the connector 'that' and a verb are necessary. A seems to be a hybrid, which does seem to fit in. D looks less objectionable, IMO

Is it possible that the sentence just "assumes" a "that"? Can this be expected on GMAT?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 05:10
Excuse me, but I have to firmly disagree with this sentence as a whole, including the answer choices.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance

"it" here clearly refers to ethnicity and it doesn't make sense, therefore it's incorrect. All the answer choices either repeat the same ambigous use of "it" or create redundancy by using "ethnicity" twice ,so to be correct the sentence would have to be rewritten in some other way.

Of course you can say that the only way for this sentence to make sense, given the answer choices provided, is to assume that "it" refers to the following "ethnicity" but come on, in this case the SC becomes subjective to one's interpretation of the meaning, following this logic you can discuss the meaning of virtually any SC question. There have to be objective reasons to consider a choice correct.

Here, the way I see it, the question given is not written in a good way to test SC skills and creates the "wrong" type of difficulty. Instead of testing objective knowledge it tests subjective interpretation of the meaning.

What you guys think? I am I missing some exotic rule here? For a 600+ question there shouldn't be any though.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 415
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 12:14
Expert's post
iliavko wrote:
Excuse me, but I have to firmly disagree with this sentence as a whole, including the answer choices.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance

"it" here clearly refers to ethnicity and it doesn't make sense, therefore it's incorrect. All the answer choices either repeat the same ambigous use of "it" or create redundancy by using "ethnicity" twice ,so to be correct the sentence would have to be rewritten in some other way.

Of course you can say that the only way for this sentence to make sense, given the answer choices provided, is to assume that "it" refers to the following "ethnicity" but come on, in this case the SC becomes subjective to one's interpretation of the meaning, following this logic you can discuss the meaning of virtually any SC question. There have to be objective reasons to consider a choice correct.

Here, the way I see it, the question given is not written in a good way to test SC skills and creates the "wrong" type of difficulty. Instead of testing objective knowledge it tests subjective interpretation of the meaning.

What you guys think? I am I missing some exotic rule here? For a 600+ question there shouldn't be any though.


Yes, even in the correct option A, the use of "it" is questionable. Moreover "that" is missing after "predicted".
Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2016, 12:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early leeye84 3 07 Jul 2007, 10:14
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early overtherainbow 3 28 May 2007, 13:05
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early khaos 2 10 Feb 2007, 00:14
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early pawan82 6 13 Nov 2006, 02:57
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early Banta 6 19 Sep 2006, 23:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.