Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 10:18
I am an international student. I have heard that the US GAAP will be converted to IFRS in the near future. What is in my concern is that I if US GAAP will be no long used, it will be useless studying there because IFRS is applied in my country. (Of course, IFRS is applied in the rest of the world)

What is your opinion about it? Should I change to study in UK?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2009, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
In my accounting classes now (intermediate accounting) we are exploring some of the differences. From my experience, a lot of the differences between the two lie in the preference for certain methods to be used over others, not in completely new methods required. For instance, with inventory costing LIFO is not accepted with IFRS. However, in US schools we still learn how to use the other costing methods so the difference isn't that great. In fact, I think most of the work in the next years will be helping companies convert from US GAAP to IFRS and a working knowledge of both will probably help.

Additionally, the FASB and IASB are working jointly on issuing statements so that any new guidelines will be exactly the same in both US GAAP and IFRS.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 11:51
TheWhiteMagic wrote:
I am an international student. I have heard that the US GAAP will be converted to IFRS in the near future. What is in my concern is that I if US GAAP will be no long used, it will be useless studying there because IFRS is applied in my country. (Of course, IFRS is applied in the rest of the world)

That's not such a big deal. There is still a debit and a credit in every journal entry. The overwhelming majority of US GAAP have very few differences with IFRS, and most (if not all) reputable public accounting schools in the US have been teaching the main differences between US GAAP and IFRS for quite a few years. I don't think you should hit the panic button..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2009, 10:19
I come from an IFRS and USGAAP background. Although there are differences in US GAAP and IFRS, the theme of IFRS is more principle based (i.e open to interpretation) and US GAAP is more rule based.
The F/S issued under IFRS entails lot more details and disclosures and requires a lot more prep work from the accountants (client side).
IFRS is the way of the future, however, US GAAP will linger around.

cabro57 wrote:
TheWhiteMagic wrote:

That's not such a big deal. There is still a debit and a credit in every journal entry. The overwhelming majority of US GAAP have very few differences with IFRS, and most (if not all) reputable public accounting schools in the US have been teaching the main differences between US GAAP and IFRS for quite a few years. I don't think you should hit the panic button..

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Re: Conversion of US GAAP to IFRS   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2009, 10:19