Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1848 [25]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4152 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through the sales [#permalink]
manalq8 wrote:
Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through the sales of video games. Last year, it fell just short of making a profit although it had strong revenues of $200 million worldwide, half from children and half from adults. This year, the company’s sales to children rose 20% to $120 million, but its sales to adults dropped 40% to a disappointing $60 million. One of the most renowned Wall Street analysts had forecasted that Cool Games Corporation would need to at least match its revenues of last year in order to have a chance to make a profit on video games this year. Upon hearing the news of the Cool Games Corporation’s revenue, the analyst concluded that it was not possible for the company to have made a profit this year.

The analyst’s conclusion is based on which of the following assumptions?
A) The total cost and expenses of Cool Games Corporation did not decrease by more than the decrease in revenue for the corporation.
B) Adults usually purchased the more complex and expensive games
C)Cool Game Corporation increased its marketing efforts to children this year.
D) The average sales of all video game companies decreased significantly this year.
E)Sales to adults are more profitable than sales to children.

Dear ChrisLele

I was stuck between A and E . E is tempting because it says sales are more profitable to adults. And I have thought that if the sales are more profitable the decrease in sales to adults must be a reason for analyst conclusion. Can you please explain in more detail that why E is wrong ? Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through the sales [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If the analysts assumes that adult sales are more profitable, he is mistaken. From the text, it is clear that adult sales weren't more profitable. Nonetheless, if he assumes that sales to adults were more profitable than to children, the latter which accounted for 120 million in sales, then he more likely to conclude the opposite of what he does, i.e. Cool Games Corp. made a profit this year.

Hope that helps :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
I dunno but if I should mention this but I have noticed that the right answers on a lot of the questions sound more complicated than the incorrect ones. Again. its just an observation.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohnish104 wrote:
I dunno but if I should mention this but I have noticed that the right answers on a lot of the questions sound more complicated than the incorrect ones. Again. its just an observation.

Mohnish, I would just add the caveat that this may depend on the source. I am not sure that it always holds true on the OG.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM