Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 15:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 02:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (02:14) correct 28% (01:52) wrong based on 123 sessions
Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through the sales of video games. Last year, it fell just short of making a profit although it had strong revenues of $200 million worldwide, half from children and half from adults. This year, the company’s sales to children rose 20% to $120 million, but its sales to adults dropped 40% to a disappointing $60 million. One of the most renowned Wall Street analysts had forecasted that Cool Games Corporation would need to at least match its revenues of last year in order to have a chance to make a profit on video games this year. Upon hearing the news of the Cool Games Corporation’s revenue, the analyst concluded that it was not possible for the company to have made a profit this year.

The analyst’s conclusion is based on which of the following assumptions?
A) The total cost and expenses of Cool Games Corporation did not decrease by more than the decrease in revenue for the corporation.
B) Adults usually purchased the more complex and expensive games
C)Cool Game Corporation increased its marketing efforts to children this year.
D) The average sales of all video game companies decreased significantly this year.
E)Sales to adults are more profitable than sales to children.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sky is the limit

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 454 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The key to this question is noticing the difference between the revenue and profit. The revenue from last year was 200 million. However, this doesn’t tell us much about profit, which is how much a company makes after operation costs/expenses.

In this case, the video game company’s revenue may have been lower for this year, yet if its total expenses were less than those of last year, the company may end up being more profitable this year.

What does this depend on? On whether the amount the company lost in revenue (20 million according to the numbers) is less than what the company saved in total expenses.

So if the company costs 100 million to operate the first year, then as long as its total costs were <80 million, (or decreased by more than 20 million) it will be more profitable.

The analyst, in stating that the company is unable to make a profit, is assuming that its total costs did not decrease by more than 20 million. Therefore the answer is (A).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 02:47
easy A
lets solve this question by numbers
revenue last year=$200m, profit= 0 (approx) so cost incurred =$200m(approx)
revenue this year=$180m
if cost incurred does fall by atleast =$200m-$180m = $20m , then definately the company will be making a loss
this is explained by option A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 15:25
manalq8 wrote:
Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through the sales of video games. Last year, it fell just short of making a profit although it had strong revenues of $200 million worldwide, half from children and half from adults. This year, the company’s sales to children rose 20% to $120 million, but its sales to adults dropped 40% to a disappointing $60 million. One of the most renowned Wall Street analysts had forecasted that Cool Games Corporation would need to at least match its revenues of last year in order to have a chance to make a profit on video games this year. Upon hearing the news of the Cool Games Corporation’s revenue, the analyst concluded that it was not possible for the company to have made a profit this year.

The analyst’s conclusion is based on which of the following assumptions?
A) The total cost and expenses of Cool Games Corporation did not decrease by more than the decrease in revenue for the corporation.
B) Adults usually purchased the more complex and expensive games
C)Cool Game Corporation increased its marketing efforts to children this year.
D) The average sales of all video game companies decreased significantly this year.
E)Sales to adults are more profitable than sales to children.

Dear ChrisLele

I was stuck between A and E . E is tempting because it says sales are more profitable to adults. And I have thought that if the sales are more profitable the decrease in sales to adults must be a reason for analyst conclusion. Can you please explain in more detail that why E is wrong ? Thanks.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 11:18
Expert's post
If the analysts assumes that adult sales are more profitable, he is mistaken. From the text, it is clear that adult sales weren't more profitable. Nonetheless, if he assumes that sales to adults were more profitable than to children, the latter which accounted for 120 million in sales, then he more likely to conclude the opposite of what he does, i.e. Cool Games Corp. made a profit this year.

Hope that helps :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 291

Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 05:11
I dunno but if I should mention this but I have noticed that the right answers on a lot of the questions sound more complicated than the incorrect ones. Again. its just an observation.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 15:00
Expert's post
mohnish104 wrote:
I dunno but if I should mention this but I have noticed that the right answers on a lot of the questions sound more complicated than the incorrect ones. Again. its just an observation.

Mohnish, I would just add the caveat that this may depend on the source. I am not sure that it always holds true on the OG.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Re: Cool Games Corporation derives all of its revenues through   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2013, 15:00