Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

m15q19: (6, 2) and (0, 6) are the endpoints of the diagonal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 578 [3] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult Geometry [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
You don't need to use the distance formula here; instead we can use slopes. I posted this solution a while back to another forum:

We have two endpoints of a diagonal of a square. We can use the following:

-the midpoint of one diagonal is the midpoint of the other diagonal;
-the diagonals are perpendicular.

If (0,6) and (6,2) are endpoints, (3,4) is the midpoint.

From (0,6) to (3,4), we go right 3 and down 2; that is, we increase x by 3 and decrease y by 2: the slope is -2/3. Consider the perpendicular diagonal- its slope is the negative reciprocal, i.e. 3/2. From (3,4), on a perpendicular line, to find a point the same distance from (3,4) as (0,6) is, we can decrease x by 2 and decrease y by 3, or we can increase x by 2 and increase y by 3. The endpoints of the other diagonal are (1,1) and (5,7).

The distance from the origin to (1,1) is sqrt(2).

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Won't the square will be as shown with red lines ,given that 6,2 and 0,6 are end points of diagonals ?

so nearest point on vertex to square must be (0,2)

dist from 0,0 to 0,2 is 2

where am I going wrong ?
Attachments

nearestverexonsquare.JPG
nearestverexonsquare.JPG [ 7.39 KiB | Viewed 3883 times ]

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS Geometry. [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 03:33
powerka wrote:
I spent an exorbitant amount of time on this problem.

Tried to tackled it via algebra, and got stuck.

This is what I did:
. midpoint= (3,4)
. slope= -2/3
. then perpendicular slope= 2/3
. plugging in (3,4) into y=3/2x+k got k=-1/2 -> y=3/2x-1/2 .....(eq1)
. distance between points (diagonal)= sqrt(6^2+4^2)= sqrt(52)
. half the distance= sqrt(13)
. then distance between midpoint and vertex is given by: sqrt[(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2]=sqrt(13)->(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=13 ....(eq2)
. plugging equation1 into equation2 I tried to solve to get vertex (1,1) as said by other posters
. but did not succeed. Reached x^2-3x+5=0, which has no real roots.

Good news is that googling around I found a fantastic shortcut:

From (3,4), on a perpendicular line (with slope 3/2), to find a point the same distance from (3,4) as (0,6) is, we decrease x by 2 and decrease y by 3, thus getting vertex (1,1), or we increase x by 2 and increase y by 3, thus getting vertex (5,7).

The distance from (0,0) to (1,1) is sqrt(2).

u mean perpendicular slope= 3/2 right?
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 2888

Kudos [?]: 18483 [6] , given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Pedros wrote:
On the coordinate plane (6, 2) and (0, 6) are the endpoints of the diagonal of a square. What is the distance between point (0, 0) and the closest vertex of the square?

(A) 1/sqrt (2)
(B) 1
(C) sqrt (2)
(D) sqrt (3)
(E) 2*sqrt (3)

Ans:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Given endpoints of diagonal of a square: B(0,6) and D(6,2). Let other vertices be A (closest to the origin, left bottom vertex) and C (farthest to the origin).

Length of the diagonal would be: D=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}=\sqrt{(6-0)^2+(2-6)^2}=\sqrt{52}

Coordinates of the midpoint M of the diagonal would be: M(x,y)=(\frac{6+0}{2},\frac{2+6}{2})=(3,4).

Slope of the line segment AM*Slope of the line segment BD=-1 (as they are perpendicular to each other) --> \frac{y-4}{x-3}*\frac{6-2}{0-6}=-1 --> \frac{y-4}{x-3}=\frac{3}{2} --> y-4=\frac{3}{2}(x-3)

Distance between the unknown vertices to the midpoint is half the diagonal:
(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2=(\frac{\sqrt{52}}{2})^2=13 --> (x-3)^2+\frac{9}{4}(x-3)^2=13 --> (x-3)^2=4 --> x=1 or x=5 --> y=1 or y=7

Hence the coordinates of the point A(1,1) and point C (5,7). Closest to the origin is A. Distance OA=\sqrt{2}

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 01:33
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 04:31
Hi,

The way I see this is that the vertexes are (0,6), (6,6), (0,2) and (6,2).
The closest from (0,0) is (0,2) and hence the distance is sqrt (0^2+2^2) =2

What am I missing here?

regards,
Jack
GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 578 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 13:21
jakolik wrote:
Hi,

The way I see this is that the vertexes are (0,6), (6,6), (0,2) and (6,2).
The closest from (0,0) is (0,2) and hence the distance is sqrt (0^2+2^2) =2

What am I missing here?

That is not a square - it's a rectangle. Its length is 6 and its width is 4. In this question, the square is slightly rotated; it does not have sides parallel to the x and y axes.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 6

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 10:44
Hey Bunuel,

I understand how the square is placed and I have attached the same for everyone's benefit.

However I want your help for the below things:
(I have not been able to paste the formulae that you have typed)

(1) Length of the diagonal formula. Should we use that formula every time we want to derive the length of diagonal.

(2) The formula that you used for the "Distance between the unknown vertices to the midpoint is half the diagonal" in the very end.
Attachments

Graph.jpg
Graph.jpg [ 271.12 KiB | Viewed 4045 times ]

Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18483 [0], given: 2361

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 10:52
Expert's post
seekmba wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

I understand how the square is placed and I have attached the same for everyone's benefit.

However I want your help for the below things:
(I have not been able to paste the formulae that you have typed)

(1) Length of the diagonal formula. Should we use that formula every time we want to derive the length of diagonal.

(2) The formula that you used for the "Distance between the unknown vertices to the midpoint is half the diagonal" in the very end.

Distance between point A(x_1,y_1) and B(x_2,y_2) can be found by the formula D=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}.

So the length of the diagonal would be the distance between two points B(0,6) and D(6,2): D=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}=\sqrt{(6-0)^2+(2-6)^2}=\sqrt{52}.

For more on this topic check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book (link in my signature).

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 01:18
OMG....completely missed all thse informations
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 12:01
Square: ABCD,
Midpoint: M

A(0;6)
C(6;2)

Midpoint is between A and C: M(3;4)

To get the closest vertex:
1. move the square and make the origin the midpoint. M'(0;0), so C'(3;-2)
2. rotate C' clockwise 90 degrees around M' to get B (or D), so C''(-2;-3) = B(-2;-3)
3. move back the square to the original position, so B'(1;1)
4. calculate distance between B' and Origin: sqrt(2)*1
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18483 [0], given: 2361

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:38
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:
Is it a real GMAT question? I can't even write the solution under 2 minutes (not to mention to solve it under 2 minutes).

Yes it doesn't seem to be realistic GMAT question as it requires lengthy calculations and even backsolving can not help much to get the right answer quickly. But good for practice though.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 07:01
I found the following way, it seems faster but not perfect I guess.
1) Denote the coordinates of the point we are looking for as (m;n)
2) Build 2 equations based on the sides of the square: x^2=(6-n)^2+m^2 and x^2=(6-m)^2+(2-n)^2
3) Solving these equations we can get 3m-1=2n
4) We can assume that according to the draft m<6 and n<2
5) Thus, a possible solution is n=1, m=1
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 16:37
thanks for the great explanation Bunuel.
11 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [11] , given: 4

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
please kudos me if it helps

now we know that diagonal as calculated is \sqrt{52}
we also know that diagonal of a square is a\sqrt{2} , where a is the side
Therefore one side is \sqrt{26}.
Let C (x, y) be the closest vertice
now all sides are equal in a square
Therefore distance between C and (0,6) and C and (6,2) will be equal to\sqrt{26}

solve for x and y the following equations
(x-0)^2 + (y-6)^2 =26and
(x-6)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 26
we get C= (1,1)
hence the distance is \sqrt{2} ANS

If it was a help Please kudos me
6 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 578 [6] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
Kronax wrote:
Nice. That's probably the most easiest and efficient way to solve this problem. Kudos from me!

You can actually answer the question without calculating any distances at all (except at the very end), provided you have a good understanding of the meaning of perpendicular slopes. The background: perpendicular slopes are negative reciprocals. If one line has a slope of a/b, a perpendicular line has a slope of -b/a. Now, if a line has a slope of a/b, that is just the ratio of the 'vertical change' to the 'horizontal change' of the line as you move to the right; if a line has a slope of a/b, that means if you move b units to the right, the line will rise by a units. On a perpendicular line, to travel the same distance, you'd *reverse* the horizontal and vertical changes (because the slopes are reciprocals) and also reverse the direction of one of the two changes (because of the negative sign). That is, on a perpendicular line, we'd travel the same distance if we moved right by a units and moved down by b units, or if we moved left by a units and up by b units.

So, in this question, we have a square. The diagonals of a square are perpendicular, and meet at their midpoints. The midpoint of the diagonals in this question is (3,4). Moving from (0,6) to (3,4), we go right by 3 units and down by 2 units. On the perpendicular diagonal, starting from the midpoint, to travel the same distance we need to either go right by 2 units and up by 3 units (to get to (5,7)), or left by 2 units and down by 3 units (to get to (1,1)). So the closest vertex to the origin is (1,1) and the distance is sqrt(2).

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 833 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 03:36
IanStewart wrote:
Kronax wrote:
Nice. That's probably the most easiest and efficient way to solve this problem. Kudos from me!

You can actually answer the question without calculating any distances at all (except at the very end), provided you have a good understanding of the meaning of perpendicular slopes. The background: perpendicular slopes are negative reciprocals. If one line has a slope of a/b, a perpendicular line has a slope of -b/a. Now, if a line has a slope of a/b, that is just the ratio of the 'vertical change' to the 'horizontal change' of the line as you move to the right; if a line has a slope of a/b, that means if you move b units to the right, the line will rise by a units. On a perpendicular line, to travel the same distance, you'd *reverse* the horizontal and vertical changes (because the slopes are reciprocals) and also reverse the direction of one of the two changes (because of the negative sign). That is, on a perpendicular line, we'd travel the same distance if we moved right by a units and moved down by b units, or if we moved left by a units and up by b units.

So, in this question, we have a square. The diagonals of a square are perpendicular, and meet at their midpoints. The midpoint of the diagonals in this question is (3,4). Moving from (0,6) to (3,4), we go right by 3 units and down by 2 units. On the perpendicular diagonal, starting from the midpoint, to travel the same distance we need to either go right by 2 units and up by 3 units (to get to (5,7)), or left by 2 units and down by 3 units (to get to (1,1)). So the closest vertex to the origin is (1,1) and the distance is sqrt(2).

The diagonal length is 4\sqrt{13}
Mid point of diagonal is 3,4
Slope of diagonal connecting given points = -2/3
Slope of diagonal connecting require points = 3/2

x1= x + r*cosA and x2 = x - r*cosA - > polar form of line.

y1= y + r*sinA and y2 = y - r*sinA

Since TanA = 3/2 cosA = \frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}

and sinA = \frac{3}{\sqrt{13}}

Using the above equations we get x,y = 1,1 and 5,7

Thus the answer is sqrt2

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 897

Kudos [?]: 3819 [2] , given: 148

Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Beauty of Graphs - Example 2
+ Stunning Symmetry of Squares

If AC is the given diagonal with co-ordinates (0, 6) and (6, 2), we see it is a sloping line. The center point of the line is (3, 4) obtained by averaging x and y co-ordinates as given: (0 + 6)/2 = 3 and (6 + 2)/2 = 4.
Think of a horizontal line PQ whose y co-ordinates were shifted by 2 units up and 2 units down to obtain AC

Attachment:
Graph1.jpg
Graph1.jpg [ 9.53 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Diagonal BD will be perpendicular to AC and will pass through (3, 4). It will have a corresponding line RS whose x co-ordinates will be shifted by 2 units right and 2 units left to obtain the co-ordinates of BD. (This is so because y co-ordinates of PQ were shifted by 2 units to obtain AC and PQ is perpendicular to RS)

Attachment:
Graph2.jpg
Graph2.jpg [ 12.98 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

The closest co-ordinate to (0, 0) is (1, 1) and its distance from center is \sqrt{2}

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:49
Quote:

My two cents to a nice explanation:

To give a little info between the two choice - going right by 2 and down by 3 or going right by 3 and down by 2:

Going right by 3 and down by 2 will not result in a square, but a rectangle. This is because then this point and the the end point of the other diagonal (6,2) will end up on the same y coordinate (giving us a quadrilateral that is parallel to X and y axis). Some ppl might have noticed in the beginning that this square can not be straight but slightly revolved in the anti-clock direction.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 22:39
Guys
Pardon me if this discussed before. I am posting this for two reasons -

1. The importance of breathing right on the desk - If you are not breathing right then you may get the hardest questions wrong. I can't overstate the importance of this. When I was in the treadmill the solution clicked effortlessly ha ha. May be this due to abundance of oxygen in the body and the alertness of the brain.

2. Any question can be cracked in 120 secs or less on gmat.

If you exceeded 2 mins then -

1. Your approach is not correct. In this case stop the timer and re-start from a fresh angle.

or

2. You have overanalyzed the problem. Overanalysis always underpays.

3. The gmat iPAD toolkit is the awesome way to streamline your speed.

Without much ado! Now try this ....I will post the 60 sec solution soon.

On the coordinate plane (6, 2) and (0, 6) are the endpoints of the diagonal of a square. What is the distance between point (0, 0) and the closest vertex of the square?

(A) 1/sqrt (2)
(B) 1
(C) sqrt (2)
(D) sqrt (3)
(E) 2*sqrt (3)
Coordinate geometry   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2011, 22:39