Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell 1 year MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Cornell 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 06:19
Anyone have any inputs on this program?
Any ideas on how the culture is, the career prospects and whether the value is the same as the two year program..

please help!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 06:25
While I was at the info sessions, they mentioned that this program was being reworked. It is now called the TMO (Twelve Month Option), it is geared towards slightly more accomplished applicants, most of them having advanced degrees such as MSc or PhD.

Since there is no internship, this would not be ideal for career switchers. Either you are trying to advance yourself in finance/marketing/consulting, or you are an engineer type person moving up into management etc.

However they do have the same career services and recruiting available as 2 year program
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 06:29
fluffy, thanks..

is it easier for engineers (IT) to move into MC or Strategic Consulting or IT consulting?

I understand moving to finance/IB might be impossible.. but trying to get a feel for consulting positions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 06:40
Willget, TMO is a really good option for people who want to continue in the same industry but in a different function. I sent you a PM.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 10:38
agsfaltex wrote:
Willget, TMO is a really good option for people who want to continue in the same industry but in a different function. I sent you a PM.

dude could you elaborate on it...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 11:14
gmat_crack wrote:
agsfaltex wrote:

dude could you elaborate on it...

The TMO (Twelve Month Option) program has a requirement that the applicant has at least a masters degree. Cornell only accepts around 50 TMO's each year with an avg gmat score of roughly 700. The program lasts from May to May, so TMO's do not get to do an internship. TMO's will spend their first summer catching up on basic business courses like accounting, finance, marketing and they join the 2 year students at the end of the summer when they return from their internships.

TMO's have the advantage of completing the MBA degree in one year, however the disadvantage is that without a summer internship, their chances at IB, Capital Markets, etc will be much lower (unless thats where they came from).

TMO's will typically end up in management positions in the industry the came from with many of them actually starting up companies (or joining start-ups) in industires like Bio-Tech, Software, High tech etc. A small number of TMO's may also end getting very coveted VC jobs because of their vast experience and academic knowledge in the industries they worked in.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 11:57
Thanks for the post about Cornell's TMO

Given the cost,1 year out of work, and lack of interest in IB/MC, i think this program MIGHT make sense for my career goals...

I will def. look into this

Another 1 year program by renowed school is Kellogg 1 year MBA..

cheers
  [#permalink] 28 Mar 2007, 11:57