Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell Admit! 1 DOWN, 3 TO GO.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 17:55
rhyme wrote:
I just don't know how many people come to really update their profiles there - i mean if you look at cornell R1's there are a lot of unknowns, but all of those have been dinged or accepted by now. Yet, only a handful have updated. So what I meant is, given the poor overall response rate, I'd question how many people go somewhere and never report it or, people who report a school choice but then change their mind.

You don't get it do you? What your saying might be true, but that would be true for ALL schools. Is there any reason why people would only update their profiles once they got into Wharton, but not when they got into Chicago? Of course not. Therefore if in 2008, I see that of 30 some students who got accepted in both Chicago and Wharton and almost all of them chose Wharton over Chicago, that's all I need to know. Who cares about the "unknowns" or people who haven't updated? What your saying is only valid if people only bothered to update for some schools, but not for others. Again, this isn't the case here.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago vs Kellogg [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 18:28
rhyme wrote:
AshikaP wrote:
Hey guys,

I got into the part time programs at NYU, chicago and Kellogg... i had to make my choices between chicago and Kellogg... a large reason i choose chicago was that I had met a great group of alumni that LOOOVED the school in Los Angeles (mind you it was a full time info session as they dont have part time sessions worldwide). They were extremely enthusiastic and one of the alumni that i kept in contact with was always willing to help me out.... Then came the time for a visit to the school... since i was a part-timer i had to make seperate visits...w hen i contacted chicago they made a special appointment with me and welcomed me with open arms... northwestern on the other hand just emailed me and said that they're too busy and that i could email them questions.. so this kind of tells u that even though kellogg really didnt accomodate to me AT ALL even when i explained that I was coming all the way from Los Angeles and I have a lot of constraints to overcome... also i just liked the flexibility around the chicago program but this applies more to the part time program as kellogg max's you out on the number of classes chicago allows you to instill a full time curriculum if you choose to do so because either u choose to quit your job or u got laid off or u jst have a easy quarter that u can pick up one extra class... so these are my thoughts :) hope it helps even though im JUST a part timer...

**** GREEN WITH ENVY ****

hahaha yea but too bad its just part time- ur doin full time and im sure u'll get in :)

A.P.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 20:53
Lich wrote:
rhyme wrote:
I just don't know how many people come to really update their profiles there - i mean if you look at cornell R1's there are a lot of unknowns, but all of those have been dinged or accepted by now. Yet, only a handful have updated. So what I meant is, given the poor overall response rate, I'd question how many people go somewhere and never report it or, people who report a school choice but then change their mind.

You don't get it do you? What your saying might be true, but that would be true for ALL schools. Is there any reason why people would only update their profiles once they got into Wharton, but not when they got into Chicago? Of course not. Therefore if in 2008, I see that of 30 some students who got accepted in both Chicago and Wharton and almost all of them chose Wharton over Chicago, that's all I need to know. Who cares about the "unknowns" or people who haven't updated? What your saying is only valid if people only bothered to update for some schools, but not for others. Again, this isn't the case here.

You are right, I hadn't thought it through.

I still stand by my view that, either way, it's a choice between a ferrari and a lambo. You can't go wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 21:24
I've done some research on the admissions411 site and here is how I would advise people to use the data: use it for school comparisons, but NOT for individual school stats.

For example using admissions411 data to answer questions such as "what is the average GMAT score for Darden applicants" or "what is the % of applicants invited to interview for Chicago" would be misleading. The reason for this is because the data is highly skewed in terms of GMAT score, since people with high scores will be more likely to post them. Thus Darden's GMAT would be like 730 and this would also help explain why Chicago's invite rate is close to 70%.

However, since the data is skewed for EVERY school, the irony is that because of this using admissions411 data to compare schools actually becomes valid (assuming there is no bias for any particular school, which I haven't found any). Hence using admissions411 data to answer questions such as "Which school has a higher average GMAT, Darden or Chicago" or "Which school would students prefer Wharton or Chicago" is perfectly valid.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 21:39
Quote:
I think it depends who you talk to and where you are. Anyone familiar with MBA programs will know both schools. People unfamiliar with MBA programs will be instantly impressed with a Chicago MBA in these parts, but may not recognize the Wharton name.

I think they are, honestly, equally prestigious.

I think your opinion may be skewed by the fact that you're in Chicago. It’s very possible that these schools have a similar rep where you are, but for us East Coast folks it’s not even close. Internationally, Wharton's rep is basically as good as Harvard's.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 11:17
Internationally - no schools come close to the following 4 -
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 17:05
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I would put the first two in their own category. I agree with Stanford but would probably put Columbia ahead of MIT. I'm probably being Euro-centric, but the Columbia name definitely carries more weight in a financial center such as London.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Moving to i-Town? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 18:34
If any of you Cornell applicants end up coming here, please PM me. I am an Ithacan (well, a 4-year transplant) and do a lot of hiring in my office. I have a nice list of places to look for housing, and can certainly tell you a lot more about living in this small but lovely town than the students at the Johnson School....my impression is that they don't get off the hill much! And if you're in town for an interview, etc, do let me know. I've got the skinny on the watering holes and am always happy to run into folks of a like mind.

best of luck - my apps will all be in in the next 4 weeks.....

amy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Moving to i-Town? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 20:01
aaudetat wrote:
If any of you Cornell applicants end up coming here, please PM me. I am an Ithacan (well, a 4-year transplant) and do a lot of hiring in my office. I have a nice list of places to look for housing, and can certainly tell you a lot more about living in this small but lovely town than the students at the Johnson School....my impression is that they don't get off the hill much! And if you're in town for an interview, etc, do let me know. I've got the skinny on the watering holes and am always happy to run into folks of a like mind.

best of luck - my apps will all be in in the next 4 weeks.....

amy

Amy, I'd love to chat sometime - I'll know where I'm going by Jan 8 - PM me if you are open to a quick phone conversation.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 05:59
dukes wrote:
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I would put the first two in their own category. I agree with Stanford but would probably put Columbia ahead of MIT. I'm probably being Euro-centric, but the Columbia name definitely carries more weight in a financial center such as London.

I agree. Columbia carries more weight in Asia too. MIT is up there, but just not quite IV (ivey): top four.

Now here's the big question: if a magic genie gave you a choice between Harvard and Stanford, which would it be?

Palo Alto or Cambridge... that's one darn tough decision.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 06:05
GMATT73 wrote:
dukes wrote:
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I agree. Columbia carries more weight in Asia too. MIT is up there, but just not quite IV (ivey): top four.

Now here's the big question: if a magic genie gave you a choice between Harvard and Stanford, which would it be?

Palo Alto or Cambridge... that's one darn tough decision.

Harvard, beyound any doubts for me. Their alumni network is sooooo much bigger.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 06:19
Quote:
Harvard, beyound any doubts for me. Their alumni network is sooooo much bigger.

HBS no doubt. Personally, I don't see what the deal with Stanford is.
  [#permalink] 13 Dec 2006, 06:19