Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell Essay 1!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Cornell Essay 1!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 11:41
Quote:
Describe your greatest professional achievement and how you were able to add value to your organization.

Rhyme/Applicants

whats ur way/advice/input to tackle Cornell Essay I

Background : IT consultant/programmer with work-ex in various countries/clients -

Greatest Professional Achievement : Every successful project is an achievement whereas few projects generated further revenue ..This is a general trend for any IT guy...so what i can boast of or talk about !!!

wanna hear from gmatclubbers

cheers
Ozie
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 12:35
Well, my app is in, so what the heck, lets be specific!

Keep in mind, I don't an interview yet, so maybe you dont want to listen to me!!!!!!!! :)

I opened with: A challenging question posed to me by a client. I literally write out the question in quotation marks. I chose a question that was as business oriented as possible - what the value of a particular asset was.

I then went on to discuss why this was challenging - what did I know about asset valuation? Much less this particular industry? (the client was in a very particular industry that I had little to no experience in). I use the question to highlight the overall purpose of the project (its a representative question of what the hole project was about).

I then state the net result of our efforts - a large multi million dollar savings.

I briefly mention what I was specifically responsible for, making sure to highlight that the project was huge - were talking over a half billion dollars worth of investments being analyzed.

I then use this as a seque to discuss what I did to suceed. I mention key elements of what I did, but I also focus on how my sucess was largely dependent on my team. I talk about the people I supervised (one sentence) and discuss how I lead them and made them an integral part of the effort.

I then come back to the question I used as an example, and highlight what I did to answer it, and close that paragraph with a statement showing my estimates were close and in the end, we got even more money than anticipated.

In my concluding paragraph I talk about the value add being financial, but also strategic. I talk about how one of the people I worked with grew quickly under my supervision and got promoted ahead of schedule.

My final sentence ends with a strong statement about how I viewed the achievement and how it is relevant to Cornell.

-------------------

Its a story I like because

1) There's some meat to the numbers (big $$)
2) The initial question posed is very interesting and peaks curiosity. I don't want to say what it is here, but try to think of a question you've been asked that made you think "What the !@(#, I have no idea where to start!" - If it sounds that way to you, it probably sounds that way to other people.
3) It talks about MY difficulties (so its introspective)
4) It hits on teamwork and leadership, although briefly
5) It talks about what I specifically did to achieve these goals
6) It drives home a large financial win but also a non-financial win

So this is me...

But how do we do this for you ?

Ok, so maybe you cant hit on financial wins. But you could use the size of the project to convey importance right? How many consultants? How much revenue did the project bring in? Did ANY follow up work get sold? Were you ever part of that in any way? Did you make the presentation?

Give me a few hints as to what you do for a living (other than "IT") and I can try to think of ideas.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 12:58
Thats amazing ..

It seems like u nailed the admission process just the way u nailed the Gmatprep software/its logic :lol:

will send you a PM with specific examples

thanks
ozieeeeeeee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 14:12
Why no interview for me yet? WAAAAAAAAAH

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 14:29
Hey Rhyme...didn't you calculate that based on your submission date you would expect to hear something around the 28th?!?! ;-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 19:32
swgotz wrote:
Hey Rhyme...didn't you calculate that based on your submission date you would expect to hear something around the 28th?!?! ;-)

Close.

Submitted my app on Oct 6, and went to commitee on Oct 13. (5 business days)

Based on swgot's timeline: "Submitted my app on 10/1 and it went to committee on 10/4. (3 business days) Interview request 10/17 (8 days)"

So it took him 8 business days to get the interview from the date it went to commitee. Based on that timeline, I should expect mine on Oct 25th. In theory. Assuming things are slower now - anytime between Oct 25th and Oct 30th seems reasonable in terms of when I might hear back - my app took 5 days to go to commitee whereas his took 3, so likely a bit more lagged than Oct 25th.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 22:07
rhyme wrote:

If you are going through hell, keep on going.
--Winston Churchill
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 06:18
pelihu wrote:
rhyme wrote:

If you are going through hell, keep on going.
--Winston Churchill

The exit's locked :(
  [#permalink] 25 Oct 2006, 06:18