Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [2] , given: 86

Reviews Badge
Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 19:22
This post received
KUDOS
Cornell University Johnson Graduate School of Management

Rankings (2010 GMAT Club Rankings Table)
Historical GMAT Club Applicant Threads
Popular Links

Current Applicant Thread: Fall 2012 - Calling All Cornell (Johnson) Applicants

Fall 2012 Application Instructions

Round 1 Deadline: 10/12/2011 | Decision Date: 12/20/2011
Round 2 Deadline: 11/30/2011 | Decision Date: 02/28/2012
Round 3 Deadline: 01/25/2012 | Decision Date: 03/27/2012
Round 4 Deadline: 03/14/2012 | Decision Date: 04/24/2012

Essays
Essay 1: Describe your greatest professional achievement and how you added value to your organization (400 words)
Essay 2: What career do you plan to pursue upon completing the MBA and why? How will the Johnson School help you achieve this goal? (400 words)
Essay 3: You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the Table of Contents for the book. Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity. (400 words)

Recommendation Questions (2 recommenders)
  • How long have you known the applicant?
  • In what capacity have you known the applicant? Please be specific.
  • What are the applicant’s most outstanding abilities or characteristics?
  • What are the applicant’s most noticeable weaknesses?
  • What impact has the applicant had on the organization in which s/he works?
  • Please comment on the applicant’s personal and professional integrity.

Essay Analysis

Cornell Events
17 Dec 2011 Saturday Shenzhen, China Trunkbow International Johnson Meet and Greet 3:30-6:00pm CST Registration Link
18 Dec 2011 Sunday Shanghai, China Zhongjin International Plaza Johnson Meet and Greet 2:30-5:00pm CST Registration Link
25 Dec 2011 Sunday Beijing, ChinaXinzhongguan Meeting Center Johnson Meet and Greet 2:30-5:00pm CSTRegistration Link

GMAT Club Current Students & Alumni
Coming Soon!

Class Profile and Program Statistics
Full Time MBA Stats
Length of Program 2 Years
Campus Location Ithaca, NY
Average Class Size 278
Average Work Experience 5 Years
Average Age N/A
Average GMAT 700
Average GPA3.3
Female30%
International 27%
Endowment $148M
GMAT/GRE GMAT Only
Annual Tuition (2010) $49,272

Employment Statistics
Median Base Salary: $95,000
Top Industries: Financial Services (43%), Consulting (12%), Manufacturing (11%)
Top Locations: Northeast (49%), International (17%), West (12%)
Number of students starting their own business: Unavailable

Top Employers of 2009
# of Hires Company Name
8 Citi
7 Deloitte Consulting
5 Accenture
5 Deutsche Bank
5 General Electric
5 JP Morgan
4 American Express
4 Barclays Capital
4 Colgate-Palmolive Company
4 Goldman Sachs
4 Morgan Stanley
3 Bain & Co.
3 Johnson & Johnson
3McKinsey & Co.
3Proctor & Gamble Co.

Curriculum – Notable Features

Immersion Learning
Quote:
Students in the two-year MBA program complete the bulk of the Core MBA coursework during their first semester. In the second semester of their first year, most choose an immersion learning experience, plunging them into electives, site visits, and live cases aimed at getting them up to speed in their area of interest.

Our unique immersion program is an intense, hands-on semester in a specific industry or career interest. The experience combines:
  • integrated cutting-edge coursework and fieldwork
  • outstanding faculty
  • coaching by leading business practitioners
  • problem solving under actual business conditions
  • optional consulting focus

Other schools may tout similar programs, but they don’t come close to ours. At Johnson, you can choose from the following immersion programs. Click to learn more about each.

Performance Learning
Quote:
In addition to the immersion programs describe above, Johnson offers many other opportunities for “Performance Learning.”

Boas Trading Room
Quote:
Our 32-seat Robert S. Boas Trading Room is the focal point of the Parker Center. A virtual trading room and classroom, it features real-time stock quotes, international data feeds, and financial analysis software and data valued at more than $1.8 million per year in licensing fees.

In 2005, Marjorie Boas Levins generously renewed her support of the Parker Center by sponsoring the purchase of 25 new computers for the facility to replace the existing set. In 2008, Intel Corporation generously sponsored the purchase of 33 new Dell computers for the Trading Room, doubling the number of workstations.

See the complete list of our software and data feeds

Leadership Development at Johnson
Quote:
A unique feature of the Johnson Team Leadership Experience is that every Johnson student is required to lead a Core team, to receive and process feedback on his or her team leadership, and to provide that feedback to others on his or her team. Through this performance learning approach, Johnson students better understand and develop their leadership capabilities and prepare themselves to guide and positively influence the teams and organizations of which they are a part.

Joint and Dual Degree Programs

Research Institutes at Johnson

School & Interview Guides

Other Helpful Links and Discussions

Student Blogs
  • Nominate your favorite Johnson blog to be listed here!

Comparison Threads

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by rasta on 03 Feb 2012, 22:11, edited 7 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
I wrote this on the 2012 applicant board but thought it might be helpful to other years too.

In regards to the "table of contents, story of your life" essay:

Quote:
I’ve gotten a few pm requests for help with this essay So I thought I might share a little more of my personal thoughts if they might be of help to others. I’m by no means a professional writer, I had just as much of a hard time on this essay as anyone else, but I’m starting to realize just how lucky I was to have five incredible essay reviewers to help me along the process. Thought I should pass it on to everyone still going for R4 or next year.

The problem I first game across in this TOC essay is that I wanted my chapter headings to include all of my details from work (promotion received, money saved, project completed, etc.) my chapter titles were super long and loaded with details (mostly because I wanted to avoid being vague)

However in my first essay revision I was told that I missed the point completely.

This essay was for me to show creativity and be unique. The adcom already has my resume and a few other essays, they are not looking for another resume here, and they probably have hundreds of applicants who turned this table of contents into a second resume, so make sure it is different, don’t become one of those.

Also write it like a table of contents, avoid the outline format (III, A, 1, i, etc), having chapters 1-30 makes it clean, concise, and easy to read

I think this essay is a great place to talk about influential people who helped you in your life, and anything else you didn’t get to mention in your other essays and resume. My grandfather said to focus on who you are and what made you this person, talk about a life changing event from boy scouts or something, things that happened to you, people who taught you, something your parents did, and personal feelings, reflections on your own past, things you've learned, people you've helped.

Think about how a professional writer would see your life, they would try to turn every event into a compelling story that catches the reader’s attention. To make my story engaging I had to set aside a lot of my work details. I wanted to write chapter headings that would be memorable and pique the interest of my interviewer. I wanted to show up to interview and have him/her to say "hey tell me about that time you drove across 13 countries with only a tent to sleep in, that sounds crazy!".

I also think adcoms see plenty of essays that are simply brag sheets, I think it would be refreshing for an adcom to see something else, so really use this time to be unique. Your chapter headings can definitely still show leadership, ambition, decication etc. but write about who you are, not what you think the adcom wants you to be, they can see right through that.

finally, be yourself. :D

These are just my opinions on this essay in general, most of which came from feedback and critiques I received. I hope this advice helps someone get going in the right direction. This is definitely one of the toughest essays in my opinion, I had a good amount of writers bloc on this one.

Feel free to PM me with more questions, or if you want another set of eyes to read a draft, I’m happy to help wherever I can. I’ve definitely had a lot of help from others in the process, so hopefully I can pass it on.
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 03:33
Is Cornell considered "general management" school, despite having excellent finance & investment management program?
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 22:11
shalva wrote:
Is Cornell considered "general management" school, despite having excellent finance & investment management program?

Good question and yes that is how the school administration is positioning the brand. I would say that Cornell is particularly strong in finance, consulting (huge strides lately) and anything SGE-related.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 23:35
Where is the free Veritas report for Johnson? I am unable to find it in your guide's link.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 05:16
futurestrategist wrote:
Where is the free Veritas report for Johnson? I am unable to find it in your guide's link.

There isn't one yet.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 21:19
Very accurate information!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 17:16
thanks for the info. I'd love to go to cornell.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 09:46
this really helps! thanks to everyone who put it together!

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 07:23
Hello everybody!
I am really passionate about going to Jhonson....and it would help if some admitted students could share their profiles.....I will apply for 2014 intake ...so I have a good 16-18 months till application....I want to know I can build/polish my profile so as to be competitive....I guess this would be helpful to people applying this year too....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 16:02
upasanadatta wrote:
Hello everybody!
I am really passionate about going to Jhonson....and it would help if some admitted students could share their profiles.....I will apply for 2014 intake ...so I have a good 16-18 months till application....I want to know I can build/polish my profile so as to be competitive....I guess this would be helpful to people applying this year too....

Same here. Cornell is my #1 choice and I'll also be applying for 2014 intake. Hope some current students and alumni can share some experiences and thoughts regarding the program and its highest potentials.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
GRE 1: 1330 Q720 V610
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:45
Hi,

I am planning for 2013 intake. I plan to give GMAT in August this year, gain some momentum for the application, essays etc.
I really want to study at Cornell!!

Everybody says I'm Fine!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 04:33
I'd like to echo the previous three posts. Any current students or alumni out there? Anyone from the school? I've sent emails to some ambassadors but I find that members of this site are particularly candid and honest...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 11:39
I am a first year (only in my 2nd week so my knowledge will be somewhat limited) but let me know any questions you have and I will do my best to check the thread and answer as I can.
Re: Cornell (Johnson)   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 11:39