Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) [#permalink]
Where is the free Veritas report for Johnson? I am unable to find it in your guide's link.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
futurestrategist wrote:
Where is the free Veritas report for Johnson? I am unable to find it in your guide's link.

There isn't one yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Very accurate information!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
thanks for the info. I'd love to go to cornell.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
this really helps! thanks to everyone who put it together!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I wrote this on the 2012 applicant board but thought it might be helpful to other years too.

In regards to the "table of contents, story of your life" essay:

Quote:
I’ve gotten a few pm requests for help with this essay So I thought I might share a little more of my personal thoughts if they might be of help to others. I’m by no means a professional writer, I had just as much of a hard time on this essay as anyone else, but I’m starting to realize just how lucky I was to have five incredible essay reviewers to help me along the process. Thought I should pass it on to everyone still going for R4 or next year.

The problem I first game across in this TOC essay is that I wanted my chapter headings to include all of my details from work (promotion received, money saved, project completed, etc.) my chapter titles were super long and loaded with details (mostly because I wanted to avoid being vague)

However in my first essay revision I was told that I missed the point completely.

This essay was for me to show creativity and be unique. The adcom already has my resume and a few other essays, they are not looking for another resume here, and they probably have hundreds of applicants who turned this table of contents into a second resume, so make sure it is different, don’t become one of those.

Also write it like a table of contents, avoid the outline format (III, A, 1, i, etc), having chapters 1-30 makes it clean, concise, and easy to read

I think this essay is a great place to talk about influential people who helped you in your life, and anything else you didn’t get to mention in your other essays and resume. My grandfather said to focus on who you are and what made you this person, talk about a life changing event from boy scouts or something, things that happened to you, people who taught you, something your parents did, and personal feelings, reflections on your own past, things you've learned, people you've helped.

Think about how a professional writer would see your life, they would try to turn every event into a compelling story that catches the reader’s attention. To make my story engaging I had to set aside a lot of my work details. I wanted to write chapter headings that would be memorable and pique the interest of my interviewer. I wanted to show up to interview and have him/her to say "hey tell me about that time you drove across 13 countries with only a tent to sleep in, that sounds crazy!".

I also think adcoms see plenty of essays that are simply brag sheets, I think it would be refreshing for an adcom to see something else, so really use this time to be unique. Your chapter headings can definitely still show leadership, ambition, decication etc. but write about who you are, not what you think the adcom wants you to be, they can see right through that.

finally, be yourself. :D

These are just my opinions on this essay in general, most of which came from feedback and critiques I received. I hope this advice helps someone get going in the right direction. This is definitely one of the toughest essays in my opinion, I had a good amount of writers bloc on this one.

Feel free to PM me with more questions, or if you want another set of eyes to read a draft, I’m happy to help wherever I can. I’ve definitely had a lot of help from others in the process, so hopefully I can pass it on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello everybody!
I am really passionate about going to Jhonson....and it would help if some admitted students could share their profiles.....I will apply for 2014 intake ...so I have a good 16-18 months till application....I want to know I can build/polish my profile so as to be competitive....I guess this would be helpful to people applying this year too....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
upasanadatta wrote:
Hello everybody!
I am really passionate about going to Jhonson....and it would help if some admitted students could share their profiles.....I will apply for 2014 intake ...so I have a good 16-18 months till application....I want to know I can build/polish my profile so as to be competitive....I guess this would be helpful to people applying this year too....

Same here. Cornell is my #1 choice and I'll also be applying for 2014 intake. Hope some current students and alumni can share some experiences and thoughts regarding the program and its highest potentials.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GRE 1: Q720 V610
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Hi,

I am planning for 2013 intake. I plan to give GMAT in August this year, gain some momentum for the application, essays etc.
I really want to study at Cornell!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I'd like to echo the previous three posts. Any current students or alumni out there? Anyone from the school? I've sent emails to some ambassadors but I find that members of this site are particularly candid and honest...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
I am a first year (only in my 2nd week so my knowledge will be somewhat limited) but let me know any questions you have and I will do my best to check the thread and answer as I can.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Johnson (Cornell) Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Johnson (Cornell) Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Johnson (Cornell) Forum for all fresh things related to the Johnson (Cornell) MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts