Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 434 [1] , given: 281

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
All else equal, everyone in the Cornell thread will say Cornell and everyone in the Duke thread will say Duke. Find people admitted at both and see what they're doing.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
sunjuu1 wrote:
I dont relate to the car analogy so much. If anything I find it amusing. In any event, though I am in finance it seems like Duke over Cornell and I really really like Cornell. Lets hope it is the right decision. ;)

Although Cornell may fall into a finance stereotype, and Duke into a consulting/marketing stereotype... Duke is still a great choice for finance, and cornell for marketing/consulting. Don't feel pressured to choose cornell over duke due to stereotypes. If you feel like you fit better at Duke, go there.

Good luck!

(ps, I would buy a Subaru Legacy if I could get a new car before moving to Ithaca... Nothing wrong with an affordable AWD car for the snow)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [1] , given: 171

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:
I dont relate to the car analogy so much. If anything I find it amusing. In any event, though I am in finance it seems like Duke over Cornell and I really really like Cornell. Lets hope it is the right decision. ;)

Although Cornell may fall into a finance stereotype, and Duke into a consulting/marketing stereotype... Duke is still a great choice for finance, and cornell for marketing/consulting. Don't feel pressured to choose cornell over duke due to stereotypes. If you feel like you fit better at Duke, go there.

Good luck!

(ps, I would buy a Subaru Legacy if I could get a new car before moving to Ithaca... Nothing wrong with an affordable AWD car for the snow)

I wish more people would go with their gut and where they're going to enjoy the next two years of their life as opposed to trying to split hairs in specialty rankings. Any top 16 is going to get you where you want to go in the traditional fields - specialty rankings are just another way to sell magazines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Accounting (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 13

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
I wish more people would go with their gut and where they're going to enjoy the next two years of their life as opposed to trying to split hairs in specialty rankings. Any top 16 is going to get you where you want to go in the traditional fields - specialty rankings are just another way to sell magazines.

Agreed. Hopefully, we will have applied only to programs which are likely to fulfill our career aspirations. Upon getting in, it's about financial packages, weather patterns, and car analogies.

Sweep the leg Johnnie.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
pgreco86 wrote:
Seen wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
So just as an FYI, I received my invitation for an interview this morning.

Lol, looks like I was completely wrong. Congratulations, Oladipo4!

Congrats on the Interview Invite. Quick Question - What time of day do we believe these interview notifications will be received? Additionally, did you receive the invite via e-mail notification or telephone?

I got mine at around 8:30 AM CST and the notification was by email.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Staff are people too...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Johnson '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
contraidentukl wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:
Does anyone know which tech companies recruit at campus? I was surprised to not see Google or Apple in the list. May be product management folks can chime in??

I don't know for certain here, but that point does not surprise me. I have a friend at Ross, and he is working in the Valley this summer. He recruited exclusively for tech product marketing, and he said that most of his interviews were phone screens, and second rounds were on site. The companies were looking for one or two candidates, so they didn't spend resources to fly out to Ann Arbor. That might also be the case here with AAPL and GOOG...they have so many schools they can recruit at nearby (USC/Berkeley/Stanford/UCLA/Santa Clara/Washington) they might prefer using the phone screen then on site approach for schools not named Harvard.

First year student here.

Last summer we had interns at both Google and Apple. I know friends who are currently interviewing with both companies, however I'm not sure how far along the interview process is with those companies. I would be surprised if we didn't have interns there this year.

Also, Eric Schmidt came to one of our classes during the first semester for a Q&A session.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
How are the interview slots looking?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
gsmon wrote:
Thanks, so it would make sense to really review my app? Any tips for the interview?

Don't smoke crack beforehand.

Well... what if he's addicted to crack?

Use your best judgement when it comes to crack... Are you more professional after smoking, or while going through withdrawals?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
gsmon wrote:
Got an invite this morning, domestic. Email says to schedule one within 2 weeks. Any idea about the interview slot availability?

Anyone knows whether the interviews are blind (resume only) or based on your application/essays?

Also, any idea what % of applicants get an interview and what % of interviewees get accepted?

Thanks!

CobraKai already brought back these stats once before, so I'll do the honors this time. Based on last year's stats, getting an interview bodes well for your admission chances, but keep in mind app numbers are likely higher this year, yield rate could be anywhere, and these numbers are for all rounds:

2200 applications, 700-800 interviewed = 32-36% interviewed.

Acceptance rate of 27% = 594 offers. So 74-84% of interviewees are accepted.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
No need for a pissing contest, guys. Different strokes for different folks. Move along.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 17

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
No need for a pissing contest, guys. Different strokes for different folks. Move along.

"Put 'em in a body bag, yeaaaaaah!"
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
ldivine wrote:

Congrats on the admit and making the tough call - does this mean you'll be enrolling in the MHA?

Thanks Nozama and CobraKai. I decided to do the MHA at Hopkins. You only pay for one year of tuition (+25% tuition the 2nd year) and then do a salaried residency the 2nd year. It just makes a lot more financial sense despite me really feeling an MBA/MHA would have been the best degree combination for my field.

As a side note, with comedic timing I received an overnighted fedex package with some nice Johnson goodies yesterday after getting home from work.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
I can't wait no longer. Paid my deposit yesterday.

Matriculating!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
R3 applicant and waitlisted without interview. Got invited on 05/23 and finished interview on 05/29.

06/03 is the deposit deadline and the interviewer told me that currently the class of 2015 is already full and nobody will be admitted at this point unless some people decide not to attend the last min, meaning if some admitted students don't pay the second deposit on 06/03, some seats will open up..

But I have to make a deposit for another school today.:(((
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 16

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 23:52
Hi folks,

So, we finally have a thread for Cornell Johnson 2013 applicants. Let's get it started. 8-)

I'm researching and writing essays and will be applying in Round 1. All the best to everyone who is applying as well. :)

Cheers,
Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 08:09
Would any of the current students help me to evaluate my chances at Cornell :

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.5
GMAT 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :
Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC

Extra-Curricular Activities:

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.
Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 18:35
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 18:44
Lots of apps this year! Good luck everyone:

Increase (or decrease in applications) for 2013

Cornell +20%

Booth -3.5%
Harvard -4%
Kellogg -7%
Fuqua -7.1%
Yale -9.5%
Stern -11.5%
Columbia -19% (ouch.)

Source: http://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/07/cornell-bucks-down-trend-in-apps/
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 11:10
iamvolitant wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates

Thanks a lot iamvolitant , appreciate your honest feedback..

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2012, 11:10