Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:13
saurabhpankaj wrote:
Its Deja vu from R-1, seeing so many WLs from Indian applicants. After talking to current students it seems a deliberate strategy by Johnson to wait till R3 when they wud have seen most of the applicants. What a shame! Haven't seen more than 2-3 admits on GC/BTG and even in that str1der is most likely going to Tuck. So much for their admit management.


Well If they like you, they will admit you. I don't think it has anything to do with the admit management. I read in Christine's blog that if you are a strong applicant you will get admitted, and if you are average or slightly below average, you will get waitlisted. All weak candidates get rejected.

And I think Indians represent the majority of international students at a business school, so what Cornell is doing is not race/ethnicity specific.
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Writing Essays
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 22
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:18
Indian applicant, interviewed late last week , not heard anything yet. Status says : complete
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Writing Essays
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 22
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:22
hailmary620 wrote:
saurabhpankaj wrote:
Its Deja vu from R-1, seeing so many WLs from Indian applicants. After talking to current students it seems a deliberate strategy by Johnson to wait till R3 when they wud have seen most of the applicants. What a shame! Haven't seen more than 2-3 admits on GC/BTG and even in that str1der is most likely going to Tuck. So much for their admit management.


Well If they like you, they will admit you. I don't think it has anything to do with the admit management. I read in Christine's blog that if you are a strong applicant you will get admitted, and if you are average or slightly below average, you will get waitlisted. All weak candidates get rejected.

And I think Indians represent the majority of international students at a business school, so what Cornell is doing is not race/ethnicity specific.


Indian Applicant supply is not a problem to any B School. It probably makes sense for them to wait for the full cream to come out as they churn the applications across rounds.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:26
StickerShock wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
saurabhpankaj wrote:
Its Deja vu from R-1, seeing so many WLs from Indian applicants. After talking to current students it seems a deliberate strategy by Johnson to wait till R3 when they wud have seen most of the applicants. What a shame! Haven't seen more than 2-3 admits on GC/BTG and even in that str1der is most likely going to Tuck. So much for their admit management.


Well If they like you, they will admit you. I don't think it has anything to do with the admit management. I read in Christine's blog that if you are a strong applicant you will get admitted, and if you are average or slightly below average, you will get waitlisted. All weak candidates get rejected.

And I think Indians represent the majority of international students at a business school, so what Cornell is doing is not race/ethnicity specific.


Indian Applicant supply is not a problem to any B School. It probably makes sense for them to wait for the full cream to come out as they churn the applications across rounds.


Why would they do that with only indian candidates?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Writing Essays
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 22
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:30
highwyre237 wrote:

Why would they do that with only indian candidates?


They should be doing that with all over represented groups. I was mentioning a specific case.
It is possible that more Indians are reporting the waitlisting than other over-represented groups .
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:35
StickerShock wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Why would they do that with only indian candidates?


They should be doing that with all over represented groups. I was mentioning a specific case.
It is possible that more Indians are reporting the waitlisting than other over-represented groups .



Well I think that's because 1) More Indians on GmatClub 2) Cornell might have admitted lot of Indians in Round 1 and now waiting to see how many pay their deposits or join. B-schools after all want diversity in their class 3) The overall quality of Indian applicants is weak.

We may never know, but you can always hope for the best.
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Schools: Johnson '15 (I)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:41
Has anyone from Brazil or Latin America received a notification (phone or e-mail) ????

I believe that the committee begins with Asia, and then goes to Middle East, Europe/Africa, Latin America and USA because of the time zone....
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:58
hailmary620 wrote:
StickerShock wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Why would they do that with only indian candidates?


They should be doing that with all over represented groups. I was mentioning a specific case.
It is possible that more Indians are reporting the waitlisting than other over-represented groups .



Well I think that's because 1) More Indians on GmatClub 2) Cornell might have admitted lot of Indians in Round 1 and now waiting to see how many pay their deposits or join. B-schools after all want diversity in their class 3) The overall quality of Indian applicants is weak.

We may never know, but you can always hope for the best.


Most likely we will never know, unless you end up doing adcom one day.. If we all remember back 2 months or so, when we were guessing why interview invites went out on the days they did, or if they was any logic to getting the email that said "XYZ" school info session at a certain time of day, its kind of the same thing. All part of the mystery box that is admissions.

My guess is some pools are overrepresented, and that they get discriminated against a bit. Let's be honest, same 700 gmat with 5 years of work experience at same firm doing same job and same extra curriculars, it sounds more impressive if it is someone from Anarctica who group up learning to read by candlelight than someone like me who had advantages of living a fairly privaledged life. Those are the breaks.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 13:59
I just checked my app status and I got dinged :(... (not afraid to admit it) If I didn't have a good interview at Kelley last week I'd be stressed beyond imagination but I have a really good feeling about my admissions chances there and I love their student culture so I'm not too discouraged. Good luck to those playing the WL game at Johnson and to my fellow rejectees who are still trying to find a seat somewhere this year. :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 83
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 5

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:28
I am invited to their leadership weekend March 1-2. I can't make it unless I cancel some big, unrelated plans. Does anyone know if they have any additional weekends this spring or is that it?
Current Student
avatar
Status: Ross - Class of 2015
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 53
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 14

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:31
ctgmat123 wrote:
I am invited to their leadership weekend March 1-2. I can't make it unless I cancel some big, unrelated plans. Does anyone know if they have any additional weekends this spring or is that it?


Next and last one is on April 11-12. I am sure they will let you come to this one if you let them know.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 15:30
Does anyone know what your chances are for the Roy Park fellowship if you get invited to the leadership weekend?
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 15:40
hailmary620 wrote:
Does anyone know what your chances are for the Roy Park fellowship if you get invited to the leadership weekend?


Not sure, but I do remember reading somewhere that 100% of those invited to the leadership weekend receive some sort of scholarship.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 765
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:35
hailmary620 wrote:
Does anyone know what your chances are for the Roy Park fellowship if you get invited to the leadership weekend?


It really depends on how many people attend a given weekend, since there are ~25 fellows per entering class, just like anything else, there's a waitlist too...

To confirm, anyone who attends the weekend is coming away with some sort of scholarship. The fact that Johnson is considering you for a Park Fellowship means they want you there.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Johnson '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:54
hailmary620 wrote:
Does anyone know what your chances are for the Roy Park fellowship if you get invited to the leadership weekend?



In one of the past admissions q&a sessions on accepted . com they listed a statistic that 1 in 10 Park applicants gets invited to the leadership weekend with 1 in 3 attendees receiving the fellowship. This was before they included the Park Fellowship essay prompt on the application process, however.

I think of the leadership weekend this way: If you are invited, they want to award you money. If you can demonstrate that you are the person that they admired in your application they will award you the fellowship.

Edit: CobraKai, I didn't see your post before I put this in...but I fully agree with you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Location: Taiwan
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 18:12
ding here, international student.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 18:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Seems like there aren't many admits on this forum for Cornell and most of the guys who did get admitted are going elsewhere. Is there an official fb group so we all Rd3 applicants can get an idea of how many people are admitted so far?
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 765
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 19:26
hailmary620 wrote:
Seems like there aren't many admits on this forum for Cornell and most of the guys who did get admitted are going elsewhere. Is there an official fb group so we all Rd3 applicants can get an idea of how many people are admitted so far?


There's no official FB page, just an unofficial one that some students put together and advertise on forums...as such, there's not much participation. Schools with an official page actually send admits the link, which usually leads to a more active group.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 20:06
hailmary620 wrote:
StickerShock wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Why would they do that with only indian candidates?


They should be doing that with all over represented groups. I was mentioning a specific case.
It is possible that more Indians are reporting the waitlisting than other over-represented groups .



Well I think that's because 1) More Indians on GmatClub 2) Cornell might have admitted lot of Indians in Round 1 and now waiting to see how many pay their deposits or join. B-schools after all want diversity in their class 3) The overall quality of Indian applicants is weak.

We may never know, but you can always hope for the best.


They do it to the more over-represented groups (nothing ethnicity spec). I can say that because I know this from my conversations with current Indian students at Johnson, where 8/10 were WLed before being admitted.

Last edited by saurabhpankaj on 21 Feb 2013, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Johnson '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 21:16
saurabhpankaj wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
StickerShock wrote:

They should be doing that with all over represented groups. I was mentioning a specific case.
It is possible that more Indians are reporting the waitlisting than other over-represented groups .



Well I think that's because 1) More Indians on GmatClub 2) Cornell might have admitted lot of Indians in Round 1 and now waiting to see how many pay their deposits or join. B-schools after all want diversity in their class 3) The overall quality of Indian applicants is weak.

We may never know, but you can always hope for the best.


They do it to the more over-represented groups (nothing ethnicity spec). I can say that because I know this from my conversations with current Indian students at Johnson, where 8/10 were WLed before being admitted.

And as I said, there has been no admits reported on GC in R1 to Cornell, even though there are many on the forum. Just one guy who said he knew sum1 who got admitted.

On the overall quality- I dont think overall quality of applicants vary too much across rounds. As a school they should know who passes the bar & who doesn't. WLing for yield management is understood but just to check if they get better candidates in next round is an unethical practice (to me). Why not just encourage every one in this pool to apply in R3/R4 then!


I feel that this conversation is going off on a tangent to the point at hand. While there may me a significant amount of foreign applicants on this site that are on the wait list this does not provide an accurate correlation to the wait list as a whole.

Based off of last year's published application numbers and the Cornell adcom's note that round 1 applications were up this year, the current GC community represents just over 10% of the application pool. While the GC community is roughly 70% foreign applicants we have no data to estimate how many foreign applicants there are in total this year.

While the wait list process is agonizing it at least shows that they are interested. If you can self reflect or have a friend review your application for any weaknesses you might find out areas of improvement to report to the adcom. If you are on the wait list don't think of the waitlist as a negative, but instead as anither chance to win them over. If thats not your cup of tea, just remember that for every wait listed candidate there are many more of your peers who were dinged.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 21:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
226 Experts publish their posts in the topic Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants GMATLA 1653 27 Aug 2012, 16:27
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all the Johnson (Cornell) Waitlist 2013 RSri 127 19 Dec 2012, 09:50
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59  ...  83    Next  [ 1654 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.