Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:44
I dont relate to the car analogy so much. If anything I find it amusing. In any event, though I am in finance it seems like Duke over Cornell and I really really like Cornell. Lets hope it is the right decision. ;)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 21

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Great Cornell article from Poets&Quants; an interview with Dean Dutta, touches on Cornell NYC Tech, etc.

http://poetsandquants.com/2013/02/26/co ... -strategy/
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
sunjuu1 wrote:
I dont relate to the car analogy so much. If anything I find it amusing. In any event, though I am in finance it seems like Duke over Cornell and I really really like Cornell. Lets hope it is the right decision. ;)

Although Cornell may fall into a finance stereotype, and Duke into a consulting/marketing stereotype... Duke is still a great choice for finance, and cornell for marketing/consulting. Don't feel pressured to choose cornell over duke due to stereotypes. If you feel like you fit better at Duke, go there.

Good luck!

(ps, I would buy a Subaru Legacy if I could get a new car before moving to Ithaca... Nothing wrong with an affordable AWD car for the snow)
Intern
Intern

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:20
highwyre237 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Although Cornell may fall into a finance stereotype, and Duke into a consulting/marketing stereotype... Duke is still a great choice for finance, and cornell for marketing/consulting. Don't feel pressured to choose cornell over duke due to stereotypes. If you feel like you fit better at Duke, go there.

Good luck!

(ps, I would buy a Subaru Legacy if I could get a new car before moving to Ithaca... Nothing wrong with an affordable AWD car for the snow)

It will be Duke most likely. Thanks.
Good luck!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Good luck!

I wish more people would go with their gut and where they're going to enjoy the next two years of their life as opposed to trying to split hairs in specialty rankings. Any top 16 is going to get you where you want to go in the traditional fields - specialty rankings are just another way to sell magazines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Accounting (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 13

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
I wish more people would go with their gut and where they're going to enjoy the next two years of their life as opposed to trying to split hairs in specialty rankings. Any top 16 is going to get you where you want to go in the traditional fields - specialty rankings are just another way to sell magazines.

Agreed. Hopefully, we will have applied only to programs which are likely to fulfill our career aspirations. Upon getting in, it's about financial packages, weather patterns, and car analogies.

Sweep the leg Johnnie.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:31
Expert's post
Quote:
http://www.mbaapply.com/advice.htm#elite8

Knowing that Alex Chu is a Wharton grad, then read the comments on HBS and Stanford. Hilarious!
Knowing that he lives in LA, and read the comments on Sweet Sixteen about Yale and Cornell in light of UCLA.

Diversity

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 17:02
chandleryan wrote:

Sweep the leg Johnnie.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 23:46
Ferrari > Lamborghini every day :) The spirit of the car is unique :) Not to mention the Ferrari era in formula 1 :)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Just received a voicemail from the admissions office letting me know that I'm admitted. Round 2 applicant. Intereviewed last Friday with an alum in NYC. The voicemail mentioned that the admissions office was busy today notifying people.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:21
sufjan wrote:
Just received a voicemail from the admissions office letting me know that I'm admitted. Round 2 applicant. Intereviewed last Friday with an alum in NYC. The voicemail mentioned that the admissions office was busy today notifying people.

Congrats!

Sounds like it may be a big day, good luck to all those Round 2 applicants still waiting!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 17

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 15:15
CobraKai wrote:
chandleryan wrote:

Sweep the leg Johnnie.

Is it bad that I rooted for Johnny Lawrence?
Intern
Intern

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 16:36
Can an admit from the 1st round shed some light on the scholarship/fellowship situation? I understand there's a leadership weekend that selected admits are invited to attend. Are scholarships only awarded to those who attend?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 16:38
rjk6w4 wrote:
Can an admit from the 1st round shed some light on the scholarship/fellowship situation? I understand there's a leadership weekend that selected admits are invited to attend. Are scholarships only awarded to those who attend?

I think that's the case for US citizens (since only US citizens are eligible for the Park fellowships). Any international R1 admits get offered a scholarship?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:04
asiddiqi86 wrote:
Tsikvina wrote:
asiddiqi86 wrote:
Anybody from R3 received any interview invites?

I am R3 applicant and have received an interview invite on Thursday.

Congrats.....then i should be expecting one soon i guess. Johnson is confusing though in this respect. Don't have any clarity about when your going to receive an invite so its frustrating.

Hello! I'm an R3 applicant too.. Any idea whether they've sent any further interview invites? Gosh this wait is excruciating.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 22:29
Hello! I'm an R3 applicant too.. Any idea whether they've sent any further interview invites? Gosh this wait is excruciating.[/quote]

I have no idea how many invites they have sent out already, few, one or two, R3 applicants, on beatthegmat web site have posted that they got an interview invite too.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 00:43
Hello! I'm an R3 applicant too.. Any idea whether they've sent any further interview invites? Gosh this wait is excruciating.[/quote]

No Invites as yet. I think we are probably looking at 15th -20th March the way its looking.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 06:44
asiddiqi86 wrote:
Hello! I'm an R3 applicant too.. Any idea whether they've sent any further interview invites? Gosh this wait is excruciating.

No Invites as yet. I think we are probably looking at 15th -20th March the way its looking.[/quote]

Yep. Seems like it to me, too. Fingers crossed for us :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Johnson '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 08:35
waitingawaiting wrote:
asiddiqi86 wrote:

No Invites as yet. I think we are probably looking at 15th -20th March the way its looking.

Yep. Seems like it to me, too. Fingers crossed for us :)[/quote]

Does the adcom work over spring break? Because Cornell's break begins the 16th, haha.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 08:48
Guys will the decision be out by April 3rd?? Or will they delay it, coz I have seen in forums that some students got an interview invite two weeks after the DD.

Is this the same case with Cornell?? Hope it's not, I couldn't even think of waiting that long.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 08:48