Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 03 Jul 2015, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 174

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:09
Johnson Blog wrote:
Interview invitations will start going out by February 11th for round 3 and will continue up until the notification date of April 3rd. Our goal is to get through and notify admits as quickly as possible so that they can plan to attend our admitted student weekend, Destination Johnson April 12-14th!

Hopefully they can stick to this plan so Round 3 admits can attend DJ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:30
Can any one offer a guesstimate of how many deats have been offered or filled so far?
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:53
RoyHalladay wrote:
Can any one offer a guesstimate of how many deats have been offered or filled so far?

I don't think anybody outside of the admissions committee can really speak to this - there isn't even an offical Facebook page to guess off of (The unoffical page has less than 40 members). I will say that with the R1 deposit deadline past, I know of a few folks that declined admission, so that will no doubt have some effect on how many offers Johnson makes going forward.

Hang in there!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 11:06
CobraKai wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

I don't think anybody outside of the admissions committee can really speak to this - there isn't even an offical Facebook page to guess off of (The unoffical page has less than 40 members). I will say that with the R1 deposit deadline past, I know of a few folks that declined admission, so that will no doubt have some effect on how many offers Johnson makes going forward.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the info. Looks like this is the only good news I am listening from the morning.

Desperately waiting for results.

Oh god help me plzzzz :(

By the way, Can I know which school u r planning 2 go??
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 109

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 11:11
BMN wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Hang in there!

Desperately waiting for results.

Don't desperately wait too hard yet, you still have over a month before decision day! Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 11:18
For those of you who were just admitted this week, have you received email offer letter? The voice message I got mentioned I should expect to receive email the next day and an admission package in mail later. But 4 days have passed, I haven't received the email notification. The offer letter posted online does not mention when is the deadline for accepting/denying the offer. I am an R2 applicant. Anyone can share any information?
Thanks.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 12:17
R3 european applicant, just got an interview invite now...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 12:31
ygyh wrote:
For those of you who were just admitted this week, have you received email offer letter? The voice message I got mentioned I should expect to receive email the next day and an admission package in mail later. But 4 days have passed, I haven't received the email notification. The offer letter posted online does not mention when is the deadline for accepting/denying the offer. I am an R2 applicant. Anyone can share any information?
Thanks.

Deposit deadlines: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Time-MBA/Admissions/Important-Dates.aspx

Don't worry, you have time.

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 13:02
MBA83MI wrote:

Congrats! I think that makes you one of the first for R3. Mind sharing your stats?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 13:33
RoyHalladay wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:

Congrats! I think that makes you one of the first for R3. Mind sharing your stats?

Nope already 2 applicants reported that they were invited for interview in R3. But this is also an early invite compared to R1 and R2.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 13:49
Seems like they are inviting international applicants only at this point. Next 2 weeks are crucial. We need a decision by April 1st to plan our DJ trip.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 18:17
R1 and R2 Johnson admits, did anyone of you make to the Live Event on Funding and Financing yesterday afternoon presented by Ann? I was in a different time zone and did not catch up on it. Some notes in bullets would greatly help!
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 18:58
omnivorous wrote:
R1 and R2 Johnson admits, did anyone of you make to the Live Event on Funding and Financing yesterday afternoon presented by Ann? I was in a different time zone and did not catch up on it. Some notes in bullets would greatly help!

Nothing too earth shattering.

- Save money, school is expensive
- Johnson has limited funds for scholarships and loans
- Look at the budget online
- Come to school with at least 5k in hand for various expenses before loans kick in
- Did I mention, school is expensive
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 19:22
highwyre237 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:

- Come to school with at least 5k in hand for various expenses before loans kick in

I agree with above, they didn't say much you don't already know. The first 20 minutes were spent telling us to start/keep a budget and live like a student now to save money. 'Bring your own lunch', 'don't buy a new car before arriving in Ithaca', 'don't vacation for 3 months in Hawaii' and 'realize that loans have to be paid back' were all mentioned. Every person who graduates from 8th grade should be able to tell you these things.

What I thought was the most interesting part was when Ann discussed federal and private loans. Almost all institutions recommend exhausting federal loan options first, and then turn to the private sector. Ann kind of went against the grain here and said that if you have a stellar credit score, there's no reason to not take private loans that might offer a better rate than the 6.8% Stafford loans and most definitely the 7.9% PLUS loans. And don't forget the heavy origination fees (I think it's 4% of the total) that come on the PLUS loans in particular.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 20:28
nozama wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

I agree with above, they didn't say much you don't already know. The first 20 minutes were spent telling us to start/keep a budget and live like a student now to save money. 'Bring your own lunch', 'don't buy a new car before arriving in Ithaca', 'don't vacation for 3 months in Hawaii' and 'realize that loans have to be paid back' were all mentioned. Every person who graduates from 8th grade should be able to tell you these things.

What I thought was the most interesting part was when Ann discussed federal and private loans. Almost all institutions recommend exhausting federal loan options first, and then turn to the private sector. Ann kind of went against the grain here and said that if you have a stellar credit score, there's no reason to not take private loans that might offer a better rate than the 6.8% Stafford loans and most definitely the 7.9% PLUS loans. And don't forget the heavy origination fees (I think it's 4% of the total) that come on the PLUS loans in particular.

Guys, very helpful! Appreciated the quick response. I think for international students, federnal loan is not an option, and the loan designed for international students is pretty costly (8% to 18% fluctuating rates). I think a 50/50 loan/saving solution might work out better since I don't want to empty out my savings while having a family to support...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 22:18
MBA83MI wrote:

Congrats on your interview. I am R3 international applicant had an interview on Wednesday February 27th with Ann Richards.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:04
Received interview invitation about 12 hours ago. International student applying for one-year AMBA program, submitted on R3 deadline.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 05:07
highwyre237 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:

I could've guessed based on this URL Johnson has: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Time-MBA/Admissions/Financial-Planning.aspx

I will say, buying an AWD car is going to be unavoidable for me - I was terrified trying to drive my Trans Am on icy roads here in Virginia earlier this year, there's no way this car makes it through an Ithaca winter. Plus the lack of cargo space is starting to be a pain in the ass. And no, I'm not actively shopping for a Subaru.

Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 06:40
CobraKai wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:

I could've guessed based on this URL Johnson has: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Time-MBA/Admissions/Financial-Planning.aspx

I will say, buying an AWD car is going to be unavoidable for me - I was terrified trying to drive my Trans Am on icy roads here in Virginia earlier this year, there's no way this car makes it through an Ithaca winter. Plus the lack of cargo space is starting to be a pain in the ass. And no, I'm not actively shopping for a Subaru.

Same here, I have a family member selling her Rav4, I may bite the bullet and deal with that for a few years. My car has a tough time in the city in the snow, I cant imagine using it in Ithaca. I was just hoping to wait a few more years before driving an suv or crossover...
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 09:35
I am from upstate New York, and I will say with confidence that every single car you can imagine will be found in Ithaca. Remember that we are WAY more equipped to handle heavy snow up there. From thousands of snow plows to salting trucks, the streets will be pretty manageable all the time. It's in places like Virginia and California where snow is a catastrophic occurrence that brings everything to a screeching halt. Sure it may be wiser to have a more snow-worthy vehicle, but I grew up being shuttled around in a station wagon, an Acura, an Avalon, and a Jetta. Not exactly big cars.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2013, 09:35

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  58   59   60   61   62   63   64  ...  83    Next  [ 1655 posts ]