Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 19:59
hailmary620 wrote:
The lack of activity on this forum is pretty scary. What is Cornell doing this year? They are 47 days away from the application deadline, and still only handful of invites. Has Cornell admitted majority of the class already, and now just looking to add few more?

Or it could be that GC members are not applying to Cornell this year. Highly unlikely.

I think Cornell actually has one of the longest threads on GC from what I can see! I think the reason there is not more activity right now is because Cornell has a rolling admissions process. I applied R2 and was interviewed and admitted by the end of Feb. A lot of the active threads now are for people waiting anxiously to hear back from schools with a set notification day, so everyone is naturally freaking out.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 20:11
WQZ1716 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
The lack of activity on this forum is pretty scary. What is Cornell doing this year? They are 47 days away from the application deadline, and still only handful of invites. Has Cornell admitted majority of the class already, and now just looking to add few more?

Or it could be that GC members are not applying to Cornell this year. Highly unlikely.

I think Cornell actually has one of the longest threads on GC from what I can see! I think the reason there is not more activity right now is because Cornell has a rolling admissions process. I applied R2 and was interviewed and admitted by the end of Feb. A lot of the active threads now are for people waiting anxiously to hear back from schools with a set notification day, so everyone is naturally freaking out.
e

Many pages in this forum are not filled with decision notifications but discussion about what food to eat in Ithaca, what car to drive & so on! :-D So don't judge by the number of pages.

BTW, when did Cornell admissions process become rolling!! For R2 deadline was 20th feb. they just overshot it by a week or so in your case.

When schools have set dates to announce results, there is usually a spike of activity around those dates & then it remains quiet. It should be the opposite for a 'rolling' admissions process, isn't it?

Anyways, there is no denying that Johnson is way behind schedule & activity here is pretty low especially after R1.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 05:47
Here's an interview Accepted.com did with a current Johnson student

http://blog.accepted.com/2013/03/08/cornell-johnson-mba-interview-with-david-schuette/

Also, it looks like money9111 is video blogging for mba.com
http://money9111.blogspot.com/#!/2013/03/mbacom-video-blog.html Congrats!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:02
Any R3 US applicants get an interview yet (2 year, not AMBA)?
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:15
RoyHalladay wrote:

Nobody has posted so far. Only the international students have received invites.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:45
highwyre237 wrote:

http://blog.accepted.com/2013/03/08/cornell-johnson-mba-interview-with-david-schuette/

Anyone else surprised at David's final two choices of HBS and Johnson? One would think that perhaps a school such as Tuck would be factored into his list if he were solely looking at professional and personal fit, especially a school with a tight-knit community.

Speaking of reaching out to alums, I have had at least 3 phone calls with Johnson alumnis in the past several weeks and they have all been extremely helpful, available, and also very honest about Johnson and Ithaca. I don't know how difficult / atypical it is at other schools but I have experienced first-hand what David was alluding to when he wrote: "It was a huge draw to hear that at any point in time, even after graduation, I would be able to reach out to a Johnson alum and they would make time to talk with me."

He also mentioned marketing as a strength for Cornell - this is not the first time I've heard this which is very encouraging to hear. Nevertheless, it is a bit disappointing (as subjective as rankings may be) to not see Johnson ranked in U.S. News's Top 11 for Marketing.
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:53
EmBeeAy23 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Anyone else surprised at David's final two choices of HBS and Johnson? One would think that perhaps a school such as Tuck would be factored into his list if he were solely looking at professional and personal fit, especially a school with a tight-knit community.

Speaking of reaching out to alums, I have had at least 3 phone calls with Johnson alumnis in the past several weeks and they have all been extremely helpful, available, and also very honest about Johnson and Ithaca. I don't know how difficult / atypical it is at other schools but I have experienced first-hand what David was alluding to when he wrote: "It was a huge draw to hear that at any point in time, even after graduation, I would be able to reach out to a Johnson alum and they would make time to talk with me."

He also mentioned marketing as a strength for Cornell - this is not the first time I've heard this which is very encouraging to hear. Nevertheless, it is a bit disappointing (as subjective as rankings may be) to not see Johnson ranked in U.S. News's Top 11 for Marketing.

Eh, I wouldn't put any stock at all in specialty rankings. Although it would have been nice to see Johnson jump up a few spots overall, I think they belong in that 10-16 group one way or another (with stern, ross, fuqua, yale, anderson, and darden).

I agree, HBS and Johnson seems odd, I would expect Tuck to be on there as well... I mean, I applied to both schools for similar reasons. Either way, it's nice to see such enthusiasm about Johnson, and a reconfirmation about their strength in marketing.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Johnson '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:00
hailmary620 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Nobody has posted so far. Only the international students have received invites.

So i just got to thinking about the lack of interview invite reports going out and I've concluded that it is probably a good thing.

On any normal day throughout application season the adcom has to split their time between interviews and reading new applications. As much as I'd love to think that they can easily switch between the two sides there is considerable mental drain that occurs when you are constantly switching between tasks. By taking the time to focus on reading all applications now (supposing this is what they are doing) and then sending out invitations in batches, later, they will more objectively consider this round of applicants.

Well, at least thats my thought for today.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:26
So just as an FYI, I received my invitation for an interview this morning.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:30
Oladipo4 wrote:

domestic or international?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:33
Domestic
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Johnson '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:59
Oladipo4 wrote:

Lol, looks like I was completely wrong. Congratulations, Oladipo4!
Intern
Intern

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 13:03
Seen wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:

Thanks. I had basically given up on it as the other two schools I have applied at sent an interview invite within a week. Was pretty shocked to get the invite this morning, but I guess it is par for the course with Johnson and this round of invites.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 13:07
Oladipo4 wrote:
Seen wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:

Thanks. I had basically given up on it as the other two schools I have applied at sent an interview invite within a week. Was pretty shocked to get the invite this morning, but I guess it is par for the course with Johnson and this round of invites.

Within a week? What schools were they? Never heard anyone getting an invite within a week.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 14:28
UT (McCombs) and Michigan. To be fair though, I applied right at the deadline for both.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.07

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 14:51
I've also just received my R3 interview invite. Domestic.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 19:33
Nice! finally some activity on the forum...keep it coming guys!
Intern
Intern
Daniel: Shi
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 22:22
Oladipo4 wrote:

when did ur status change from "submitted" to "under review"?

that probably indicates the period of time adcoms spend on reviewing each batch of applications before they make a invite decision.
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 05:02
mathsdaniel wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:

when did ur status change from "submitted" to "under review"?

that probably indicates the period of time adcoms spend on reviewing each batch of applications before they make a invite decision.

All of the R1 and R2 applicants can confirm that application status is meaningless, do not read into it. It does not correlate with interview invitations.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.07

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 07:36
Just as an FYI, mine still says "Submitted" and "Currently under review", even after I got my invite.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 07:36