Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
akc1400 wrote:
Hey All,

I selfishly read this Cornell thread through my whole application process. Now I'm a proud new student in the class of 2015 and new member of gmat club. I know; I did it backwards.

Any others confirmed for the Welcome Weekend?

Would you mind sharing your details now?? Domestic/international? R1/R2/R3? When did u get ur decision?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
akc1400 wrote:
Hey All,

I selfishly read this Cornell thread through my whole application process. Now I'm a proud new student in the class of 2015 and new member of gmat club. I know; I did it backwards.

How dare you lurk. Grab your pitchforks everybody!!! :twisted:

I'll be at DJ :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
saurabhpankaj wrote:
akc1400 wrote:
Hey All,

Would you mind sharing your details now?? Domestic/international? R1/R2/R3? When did u get ur decision?

Domestic R2. Got my decision a few days before the Feb 25 notification date.

Any commentary on the latest US News rankings that came out on the 12th? Cornell maintained the 16th spot it saw some movement above and below. Michigan is showing some weakness, Anderson is a good school but too regional, I'd say. With the new globally-minded Mr Dutta at the helm at Cornell, I think it's got a decent shot at penetrating the spots above it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
akc1400 wrote:
saurabhpankaj wrote:
akc1400 wrote:
Hey All,

Domestic R2. Got my decision a few days before the Feb 25 notification date.

Any commentary on the latest US News rankings that came out on the 12th? Cornell maintained the 16th spot it saw some movement above and below. Michigan is showing some weakness, Anderson is a good school but too regional, I'd say. With the new globally-minded Mr Dutta at the helm at Cornell, I think it's got a decent shot at penetrating the spots above it.

The only thing that struck me as odd was the peer rating score (4.1 out of 5), you may have to be a compass member to see that data. On Business week, they were ranked #2 by students, but much lower on usnews. I'd love to see the raw data so that I could figure out why there was such a large disconnect...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
akc1400 wrote:

Yes there was some movement, but nothing significant in my book. In my mind, the schools 10-16 are lumped together in a tier with the order shuffling. I've met people who've chosen Johnson over schools like Darden and Duke, so there's not a huge difference between #11-12 and 16, just like I don't see much difference between #4-9...they just tend to be the usual suspects in a different order.

Meanwhile, with Emory placing 18th, they're making strides to be mentioned in the same breath as McCombs, UNC, and Tepper. Won't happen overnight, but a few more years of placing in the top 20 could do the trick.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
You should fly to NYC/Philly and drive from there. That's what I did during my class visit. and I am from Houston as well.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a ticket to Newark which was slightly cheaper and slightly closer to Ithaca than La Guardia. Ended up with a ticket for 375 so even after rental car/gas costs it will be cheaper than flying into ithaca. Plus I likely would have needed to rent a car anyway.

And just an fyi, I was told that the latest you should interview on campus to be considered before the deadline is the 28th and even that is pushing it a bit. I ended up scheduling an interview for the 26th because the students are out for spring break the week before. I figured if I am going to travel all that way then I should get the full experience of a class/tour etc.

Are there a lot of open spots available to schedule an interview? I think you can get a pretty good estimate of how many people have been invited for an interview.

There were about 5 times on the 26th that I had to choose from.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mathsdaniel wrote:
BMN wrote:
mathsdaniel wrote:

Are u applying for AMBA or the 2-yr program?

One of my friends applying for AMBA got an interview invite recently. But her application has been under review bascially since her submission according to her application status.

It's said the competition is more fierce among applicants for the 2-yr program. I'm still waiting for my notification. My status was changed to "under review" just last week so I suppose the adcoms just started processing a new batch of applications. so it may still take the adcoms some time to send out invites. if my friend can get an interview, i think i definitely have a shot....:)

I am applying for 2-yr pgm. My status too changed a week back to "under review". Don't take me wrong, but if your friend gets it doesn't mean you will get a shot. The reason why I am saying this is I have experience, my friend with less academics(and overall profile) got into Emory but I didn't get an invite too. Looks like, luck too matters :(

I wish all the best for both of us.

Does your friend have a GMAT score comparable to yours? I heard from a Johnson alum that adcom send out invites largely based on GMAT but make admission decisions with more pool diversity concerns....

Anyway, wish u good luck! I will keep you informed with my status.

His GMAT is jus 10 points more than mine. Guess that shouldn't make huge difference, esp when my GPA in UG is far better than his. Even I will update you if I see any change in my status.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Does anyone know which tech companies recruit at campus? I was surprised to not see Google or Apple in the list. May be product management folks can chime in??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Daniel: Shi
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Some say that a higher GMAT score can justify a lower GPA. So somehow GMAT is given a greater priority compared to GPA in application assessment. But i don't think you should worry very much as long as ur score is higher than the average score of this year's applicants.

I went through the interview invites history and statistics. All the invites for intl students went out on Thursday typically in the afternoon. So we shouldn't panic until at least 4 hrs later..:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oladipo4 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
You should fly to NYC/Philly and drive from there. That's what I did during my class visit. and I am from Houston as well.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a ticket to Newark which was slightly cheaper and slightly closer to Ithaca than La Guardia. Ended up with a ticket for 375 so even after rental car/gas costs it will be cheaper than flying into ithaca. Plus I likely would have needed to rent a car anyway.

And just an fyi, I was told that the latest you should interview on campus to be considered before the deadline is the 28th and even that is pushing it a bit. I ended up scheduling an interview for the 26th because the students are out for spring break the week before. I figured if I am going to travel all that way then I should get the full experience of a class/tour etc.

For those who have interviewed on campus, where do you stay? I saw there is a hotel on campus with $280 rates...if this is where you stay, does Cornell offer reduced rates for prospective students?

I found a decent price ticket, but I'm leaning toward meeting with an alumni off-campus.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TrojanWarrior wrote:
Does anyone know which tech companies recruit at campus? I was surprised to not see Google or Apple in the list. May be product management folks can chime in??

I don't know for certain here, but that point does not surprise me. I have a friend at Ross, and he is working in the Valley this summer. He recruited exclusively for tech product marketing, and he said that most of his interviews were phone screens, and second rounds were on site. The companies were looking for one or two candidates, so they didn't spend resources to fly out to Ann Arbor. That might also be the case here with AAPL and GOOG...they have so many schools they can recruit at nearby (USC/Berkeley/Stanford/UCLA/Santa Clara/Washington) they might prefer using the phone screen then on site approach for schools not named Harvard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
contraidentukl wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

For those who have interviewed on campus, where do you stay? I saw there is a hotel on campus with $280 rates...if this is where you stay, does Cornell offer reduced rates for prospective students?

I found a decent price ticket, but I'm leaning toward meeting with an alumni off-campus.

For my interview in Feb I stayed at the Holiday Inn on S. Cayuga Street. It was $215 all in after taxes. Free shuttle to get you to and from Sage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
i pricelined a hotel for about 80 dollars including tax. gave me the holiday inn that ctgmat is talking about. use the "name your own price" function, well worth it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
BMN wrote:
I am an Indian and still I didn't get any notification. Does that mean it is a ding or can I wait till 25th of this month??

Hi People,

Same here. Status changed to "Under Review" last week. No invitation or anything.
Waiting :)
Am a R3, international applicant for 2 year MBA.

Congrats to the folks who got admission and good luck to those selected for interview or those waiting!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
themagus wrote:
BMN wrote:
I am an Indian and still I didn't get any notification. Does that mean it is a ding or can I wait till 25th of this month??

Hi People,

Same here. Status changed to "Under Review" last week. No invitation or anything.

Congrats to the folks who got admission and good luck to those selected for interview or those waiting!

Cheers!

There's still alot of time left. Going by last rounds you can expect intvw invite till last day & decisions being rolled out upto 1 week after the deadline of 3rdApr.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
contraidentukl wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:

I don't know for certain here, but that point does not surprise me. I have a friend at Ross, and he is working in the Valley this summer. He recruited exclusively for tech product marketing, and he said that most of his interviews were phone screens, and second rounds were on site. The companies were looking for one or two candidates, so they didn't spend resources to fly out to Ann Arbor. That might also be the case here with AAPL and GOOG...they have so many schools they can recruit at nearby (USC/Berkeley/Stanford/UCLA/Santa Clara/Washington) they might prefer using the phone screen then on site approach for schools not named Harvard.

I don't have much more to add to this thread, but I came across Chao Wang on Linkedin. I'm not yet allowed to post URLs on GMATclub but search him in linkedin. He interned at Google and now works there. Might be worth contacting him and posing the same questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
saurabhpankaj wrote:
themagus wrote:
Hi People,

Cheers!

There's still alot of time left. Going by last rounds you can expect intvw invite till last day & decisions being rolled out upto 1 week after the deadline of 3rdApr.

Are you referring to decisions being rolled out, based on R1 and R2 or did they explicitly state like in Johnson's blog etc??
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts