Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:21
Bennybob wrote:
What are the odds interview invites have already gone out and were all just the unlucky ones who didn't recieve one?


I had the thought that maybe all of us on this forum suck at life, but just doing a quick scan of Beat the GMAT, only 6 current applicants show up as "interviewed" compared to over 30 applicants with the "interviewed" status for Darden. Both of these school's deadlines were on the same week in October, and both have the same decision deadline of Dec 19. They're also peer schools, so I can't imagine that Johnson is just doling out less invites. It'd be a major conicidence if folks on two forums just weren't getting invited.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:24
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:26
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.


Pretty good conclusion IMO
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 68
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:28
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.


I also think that it is the only possible explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:53
CobraKai wrote:
Bennybob wrote:
What are the odds interview invites have already gone out and were all just the unlucky ones who didn't recieve one?


I had the thought that maybe all of us on this forum suck at life, but just doing a quick scan of Beat the GMAT, only 6 current applicants show up as "interviewed" compared to over 30 applicants with the "interviewed" status for Darden. Both of these school's deadlines were on the same week in October, and both have the same decision deadline of Dec 19. They're also peer schools, so I can't imagine that Johnson is just doling out less invites. It'd be a major conicidence if folks on two forums just weren't getting invited.


Ya, I agree. However, I have heard that Darden interviews like 45-50% of all applicants (that may not be true but that is what I heard) so that even if you get an interview invite at Darden, you still only have a 50/50 shot of admission. Does Johnson also typically interview a large portion of applicants or do they interview a smaller percentage so that when you get an interview invite, it means you have a pretty good shot at admission?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:04
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.


Maybe - but that's kind of irresponsible. They can interview however many they want and simply adjust their RD1 offers based off of the RD2 volume. I just think they're swamped.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:11
Quote:
Ya, I agree. However, I have heard that Darden interviews like 45-50% of all applicants (that may not be true but that is what I heard) so that even if you get an interview invite at Darden, you still only have a 50/50 shot of admission. Does Johnson also typically interview a large portion of applicants or do they interview a smaller percentage so that when you get an interview invite, it means you have a pretty good shot at admission?


This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll revive it:

2200 applications, 700-800 interviewed = 32-36% interviewed.

Acceptance rate of 27% = 594 offers. So 74-84% of interviewees are accepted.

It's important to note though, that these numbers are for ALL rounds. I'm willing to bet the interview percentage is a lot lower for round 4, which drags down the overall percentages.

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/15/the-mba-gatekeeper-to-cornells-johnson-graduate-school-of-management/5/
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:39
2
This post received
KUDOS
Cornell is killing me. I just wish some of you would get invited that way I can get some closure one way or another. But since pretty much no one from the Northeast has been invited, I guess my shot is as good as anyone else's still.

It will come when you are least expecting it. Its the way the system works. And dont try to trick the system by acting like your not expecting it, the system somehow knows you are trying to trick it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:41
CobraKai wrote:
Quote:
Ya, I agree. However, I have heard that Darden interviews like 45-50% of all applicants (that may not be true but that is what I heard) so that even if you get an interview invite at Darden, you still only have a 50/50 shot of admission. Does Johnson also typically interview a large portion of applicants or do they interview a smaller percentage so that when you get an interview invite, it means you have a pretty good shot at admission?


This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll revive it:

2200 applications, 700-800 interviewed = 32-36% interviewed.

Acceptance rate of 27% = 594 offers. So 74-84% of interviewees are accepted.

It's important to note though, that these numbers are for ALL rounds. I'm willing to bet the interview percentage is a lot lower for round 4, which drags down the overall percentages.

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/15/the-mba-gatekeeper-to-cornells-johnson-graduate-school-of-management/5/


Thanks. Sorry, now that you restated all that, I remember that I read it a while ago, but forgot about it :oops:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:49
CobraKai wrote:
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.


Maybe - but that's kind of irresponsible. They can interview however many they want and simply adjust their RD1 offers based off of the RD2 volume. I just think they're swamped.



Ya, that makes sense, but I guess what worries me is that after tomorrow there are only 12 business days left to do interviews, get people to campus, etc. before the deadline on the 19th. That just seems like a really narrow window to do a large numbers of interviews. I don't understand how they operate and I hope you are right that they are swamped, but it does seem like a really narrow window at this point
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 12:09
Quote:

Ya, that makes sense, but I guess what worries me is that after tomorrow there are only 12 business days left to do interviews, get people to campus, etc. before the deadline on the 19th. That just seems like a really narrow window to do a large numbers of interviews. I don't understand how they operate and I hope you are right that they are swamped, but it does seem like a really narrow window at this point


I'm worried too. Is their policy that all US applicants must come to campus?
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 12:14
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 17:15
bond007 wrote:
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?


bond, i doubt that counts, but if they dont interview anyone else, then I believe you have a better chance on decision day than the rest of us.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 12:14
Dbalks wrote:
bond007 wrote:
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?


bond, i doubt that counts, but if they dont interview anyone else, then I believe you have a better chance on decision day than the rest of us.


yeah i figured im just trying to make myself feel better about the lack of any interview invites from Cornell. This is just beyond strange.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 12:18
bond007 wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
bond007 wrote:
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?


bond, i doubt that counts, but if they dont interview anyone else, then I believe you have a better chance on decision day than the rest of us.


yeah i figured im just trying to make myself feel better about the lack of any interview invites from Cornell. This is just beyond strange.


I 100% agree with "beyond strange". I am starting to subscribe to the theory they are going to take people without interviewing them (as crazy as that sounds to me in my head). I dont know what else to think other than I just suck. I am not a perfect candidate by any stretch of the imagination, but I put together my best essay work and really spent time focusing on Cornell, I honestly would be disappointed if I didnt make it to the interview stage. I realize that sounds arrogant, but it would just be really disappointing, no other way to say it. I thought I had a decent chance here to get to the interview stage.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 12:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:00
CobraKai wrote:



This is getting crazy...

I have officially been under review for a month...

Are there any lurkers out there with invites? Things are just not adding up... Another week, and almost zero movement again...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:04
highwyre237 wrote:
This is getting crazy...

I have officially been under review for a month...

Are there any lurkers out there with invites? Things are just not adding up... Another week, and almost zero movement again...


I had an interview as part of a diversity event and my status has been updated to indicate that my application is under final review for decision by the admissions committee (not sure when it changed - the last time I logged in was probably before Thanksgiving). I would think if no one else has that same status update in their account, then interview invitations could still be coming. It seems like they will come very late in the game compared to other schools, though, as was the case according to last year's thread.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:06
I just checked my status:

Status: Submitted.

Currently Under Review - We processed your application and supporting documents. Members of the admissions team will review your application. You will receive updates regarding your application status via email and changes to your application status. Please check for updates periodically.

For some reason I recall that my app was under review but I don't remember seeing the block of text underneath it. so maybe there is some movement.

Last edited by bond007 on 30 Nov 2012, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:11
skm wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
This is getting crazy...

I have officially been under review for a month...

Are there any lurkers out there with invites? Things are just not adding up... Another week, and almost zero movement again...


I had an interview as part of a diversity event and my status has been updated to indicate that my application is under final review for decision by the admissions committee (not sure when it changed - the last time I logged in was probably before Thanksgiving). I would think if no one else has that same status update in their account, then interview invitations could still be coming. It seems like they will come very late in the game compared to other schools, though, as was the case according to last year's thread.


Mine still has the general "under review" status and note, which has been there for a long time. No changes to "final review," but I also haven't done an interview.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 13:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
226 Experts publish their posts in the topic Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants GMATLA 1653 27 Aug 2012, 16:27
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all the Johnson (Cornell) Waitlist 2013 RSri 127 19 Dec 2012, 09:50
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  83    Next  [ 1654 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.