Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 649

Kudos [?]: 2775 [0], given: 879

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:32
Expert's post

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado

Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 14:56
Hey everyone,

There is definitely still hope- I recently received an interview invite and I know they still have days set aside for interviews on campus. Good luck everyone!
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 16:24
crappyapp2 wrote:
Hey everyone,

There is definitely still hope- I recently received an interview invite and I know they still have days set aside for interviews on campus. Good luck everyone!

I guess your app wasn't so crappy after all.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Schools: Carlson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 18:50
Hey,

I submitted my app on the R2 deadline date. The decision notification date is Feb 15 for this round? But, when are interview invites typically rolled out
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 21:34
Punters11,

You will find your answer in the previous 8 pages of this thread...
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 07:14
I'm losing hope now... I don't think Cornell will give me another interview. I didn't make much progress in the past 6 months.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 07:33
Expert's post
jhpzju wrote:
I'm losing hope now... I don't think Cornell will give me another interview. I didn't make much progress in the past 6 months.

That's the tricky part about reapplying, especially in subsequent years. You have to show adcoms how much you've improved since you last applied (job role/responsibilities, contributions to your community, building an additional transcript to make up for lower gpa, new gmat score, etc). In some cases, like you, that is only a 6 month (or less) time difference --- and there's not that much you can do in that time frame.

Nevertheless, it is still possible to be accepted as a reapplicant, and some schools seem to favor reapplicants as you can show the school how much you do want to attend. Good luck, jhpzju, and don't give up until it's over!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 08:13
punters11 wrote:
Hey,

I submitted my app on the R2 deadline date. The decision notification date is Feb 15 for this round? But, when are interview invites typically rolled out

Hi Punters11

I dont think the adcom has provided any specific timeline/dates by which it plans to release interview invites (unlike Duke). Most of the R1 applicants on this forum are still awaiting interview invites/update on the status of applications.

For now, I think you can just sit back and enjoy the frustration/agony of R1 applicants :lol:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 07:55
I hope they don't send the invite and ask to schedule one within the subsequent few days.. That would be more nerve-wracking.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 09:32
kdraj wrote:
I hope they don't send the invite and ask to schedule one within the subsequent few days.. That would be more nerve-wracking.

Agreed, I'm running out of free time... It would be tough to schedule something with almost no notice
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 11:25
Holy crap guys I did not realize that the 19th was decision notification date!!! I thought it was the last date that interviews go out LOL!!! One thing I noticed from the people who said they interviewed a few of them were through diversity events. So it seems like barely any regular R1 applicants have been interviewed. Well honestly this is brutal!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 23:55
bond007 wrote:
Holy crap guys I did not realize that the 19th was decision notification date!!! I thought it was the last date that interviews go out LOL!!! One thing I noticed from the people who said they interviewed a few of them were through diversity events. So it seems like barely any regular R1 applicants have been interviewed. Well honestly this is brutal!!

And when you don't get an invite from your alternate school you applied to, the wait for cornell is even more painful..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:12
Seeing as decision date is almost upon us I imagine that they only chose to interview a few from round 1 and will group the rest with Round 2 and then make interview decisions. Or Johnson just got extremely selective... Either way it throws a monkey wrench in to my plans seeing as I have to accept or decline a school admission by the 20th.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 07:54
fv113 wrote:
Seeing as decision date is almost upon us I imagine that they only chose to interview a few from round 1 and will group the rest with Round 2 and then make interview decisions. Or Johnson just got extremely selective... Either way it throws a monkey wrench in to my plans seeing as I have to accept or decline a school admission by the 20th.

Wouldn't that mean they would have to waitlist a huge group of people? Do schools normally do that? At least you have been accepted somewhere, congrats on that.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
tightlines wrote:
fv113 wrote:

Wouldn't that mean they would have to waitlist a huge group of people? Do schools normally do that? At least you have been accepted somewhere, congrats on that.

IMO while there is no hard and fast rule with respect to how many apps the adcom can waitlist in each round, I don't think that they would take such a step. The reason I say this is b/c if Johnson wait lists X% (assume 50%) of R 1 applicants and then ended up extending offerings to majority of them after/during Round 2, most of the offers may not get accepted since most R 1 students may accept another offer by that time. This will negatively effect their yield.

But in terms of why it is taking so long for them to get back, I think its a combination of 3 factors :

1. Johnson moved to a new application review system (paperless system and using ipads or something like that) and R 1 applicants are the 1st cycle of applicants being processed using this new system. I think they are having great challenges adapting to this system and facing technical issues.

2. Applicants in R 1 are up to record numbers this yr at Johnson (according to Adcom interview posted on poets & quants recently). So, I think they are having a challenge handling the increased volume. (add this point 1 and the u can imagine the situation the adcom finds itself in).

3. They probably wanted to wait until R 2 submission deadline to see the volumes and decide on the number of interview invites to send out.

Not sure if any of this makes sense but these are the conclusions I managed to arrive at after obsessing over my Johnson app over the last 15 days. :lol:
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:14
fv113 wrote:

I wouldnt be happy if they grouped me with round 2. I submitted in round 1, paid my fee, and worked hard through the summer on their app. Adcom understands that I am certain. I dont think that they are grouping us without round 2. At the very least if they were doing it, they would tell us. Their adcom is very friendly and open, a move like that isnt their style.

This week should be interesting, I bet we start seeing invites.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:24
Dbalks wrote:
fv113 wrote:

I wouldnt be happy if they grouped me with round 2. I submitted in round 1, paid my fee, and worked hard through the summer on their app. Adcom understands that I am certain. I dont think that they are grouping us without round 2. At the very least if they were doing it, they would tell us. Their adcom is very friendly and open, a move like that isnt their style.

I agree that I don't think they would group us with Round 2. I'm expecting to know one way or the other on the 19th.
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:59
Has anyone here been in contact with the adcomm about this issue? Wonder what they have to say.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:44
Dbalks wrote:
fv113 wrote:

I've been saying that for the past 3 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:06
CobraKai wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
fv113 wrote:

I've been saying that for the past 3 weeks.

Seriously...
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2012, 17:06