Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Pretty good conclusion IMO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
I'm almost certain now that Johnson may have waited until the R2 deadline to see how many applications came in so they can figure out the # of interview invites to give in R1 since they saw such a huge (30%) jump in R1 applications. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

I also think that it is the only possible explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Bennybob wrote:
What are the odds interview invites have already gone out and were all just the unlucky ones who didn't recieve one?

I had the thought that maybe all of us on this forum suck at life, but just doing a quick scan of Beat the GMAT, only 6 current applicants show up as "interviewed" compared to over 30 applicants with the "interviewed" status for Darden. Both of these school's deadlines were on the same week in October, and both have the same decision deadline of Dec 19. They're also peer schools, so I can't imagine that Johnson is just doling out less invites. It'd be a major conicidence if folks on two forums just weren't getting invited.

Ya, I agree. However, I have heard that Darden interviews like 45-50% of all applicants (that may not be true but that is what I heard) so that even if you get an interview invite at Darden, you still only have a 50/50 shot of admission. Does Johnson also typically interview a large portion of applicants or do they interview a smaller percentage so that when you get an interview invite, it means you have a pretty good shot at admission?
Director
Director
Send PM
bond007 wrote:

Maybe - but that's kind of irresponsible. They can interview however many they want and simply adjust their RD1 offers based off of the RD2 volume. I just think they're swamped.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
Ya, I agree. However, I have heard that Darden interviews like 45-50% of all applicants (that may not be true but that is what I heard) so that even if you get an interview invite at Darden, you still only have a 50/50 shot of admission. Does Johnson also typically interview a large portion of applicants or do they interview a smaller percentage so that when you get an interview invite, it means you have a pretty good shot at admission?

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll revive it:

2200 applications, 700-800 interviewed = 32-36% interviewed.

Acceptance rate of 27% = 594 offers. So 74-84% of interviewees are accepted.

It's important to note though, that these numbers are for ALL rounds. I'm willing to bet the interview percentage is a lot lower for round 4, which drags down the overall percentages.

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/15/the-mba-gatekeeper-to-cornells-johnson-graduate-school-of-management/5/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Quote:

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll revive it:

2200 applications, 700-800 interviewed = 32-36% interviewed.

Acceptance rate of 27% = 594 offers. So 74-84% of interviewees are accepted.

It's important to note though, that these numbers are for ALL rounds. I'm willing to bet the interview percentage is a lot lower for round 4, which drags down the overall percentages.

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/15/the-mba-gatekeeper-to-cornells-johnson-graduate-school-of-management/5/

Thanks. Sorry, now that you restated all that, I remember that I read it a while ago, but forgot about it :oops:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Maybe - but that's kind of irresponsible. They can interview however many they want and simply adjust their RD1 offers based off of the RD2 volume. I just think they're swamped.

Ya, that makes sense, but I guess what worries me is that after tomorrow there are only 12 business days left to do interviews, get people to campus, etc. before the deadline on the 19th. That just seems like a really narrow window to do a large numbers of interviews. I don't understand how they operate and I hope you are right that they are swamped, but it does seem like a really narrow window at this point
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:

Ya, that makes sense, but I guess what worries me is that after tomorrow there are only 12 business days left to do interviews, get people to campus, etc. before the deadline on the 19th. That just seems like a really narrow window to do a large numbers of interviews. I don't understand how they operate and I hope you are right that they are swamped, but it does seem like a really narrow window at this point

I'm worried too. Is their policy that all US applicants must come to campus?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
if for example I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions officer during my school visit, and they had my resume printed and asked me some interview-like questions, would that be considered an interview or more of an informal meeting?

bond, i doubt that counts, but if they dont interview anyone else, then I believe you have a better chance on decision day than the rest of us.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
bond007 wrote:

bond, i doubt that counts, but if they dont interview anyone else, then I believe you have a better chance on decision day than the rest of us.

yeah i figured im just trying to make myself feel better about the lack of any interview invites from Cornell. This is just beyond strange.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
bond007 wrote:

yeah i figured im just trying to make myself feel better about the lack of any interview invites from Cornell. This is just beyond strange.

I 100% agree with "beyond strange". I am starting to subscribe to the theory they are going to take people without interviewing them (as crazy as that sounds to me in my head). I dont know what else to think other than I just suck. I am not a perfect candidate by any stretch of the imagination, but I put together my best essay work and really spent time focusing on Cornell, I honestly would be disappointed if I didnt make it to the interview stage. I realize that sounds arrogant, but it would just be really disappointing, no other way to say it. I thought I had a decent chance here to get to the interview stage.
Director
Director
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JQ1q-13Ek[/youtube]

This is getting crazy...

I have officially been under review for a month...

Are there any lurkers out there with invites? Things are just not adding up... Another week, and almost zero movement again...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
This is getting crazy...

Are there any lurkers out there with invites? Things are just not adding up... Another week, and almost zero movement again...

I had an interview as part of a diversity event and my status has been updated to indicate that my application is under final review for decision by the admissions committee (not sure when it changed - the last time I logged in was probably before Thanksgiving). I would think if no one else has that same status update in their account, then interview invitations could still be coming. It seems like they will come very late in the game compared to other schools, though, as was the case according to last year's thread.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just checked my status:

Currently Under Review - We processed your application and supporting documents. Members of the admissions team will review your application. You will receive updates regarding your application status via email and changes to your application status. Please check for updates periodically.

For some reason I recall that my app was under review but I don't remember seeing the block of text underneath it. so maybe there is some movement.

Originally posted by bond007 on 30 Nov 2012, 14:06.
Last edited by bond007 on 30 Nov 2012, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
skm wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
This is getting crazy...

I had an interview as part of a diversity event and my status has been updated to indicate that my application is under final review for decision by the admissions committee (not sure when it changed - the last time I logged in was probably before Thanksgiving). I would think if no one else has that same status update in their account, then interview invitations could still be coming. It seems like they will come very late in the game compared to other schools, though, as was the case according to last year's thread.

Mine still has the general "under review" status and note, which has been there for a long time. No changes to "final review," but I also haven't done an interview.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado

Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts