Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 114

Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 16:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Cornell - Johnson Graduate School of Management - Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Ask Johnson's Admissions Team - Johnson's Admissions Team Joins GMAT Club forums to answer questions about the application process & MBA Program

Cornell Johnson Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Cornell Johnson to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Essays:

The questions are divided into three parts:

Part I: Career Choice Essay (300 word maximum)
    How would you characterize your career since college?
    This is not your job description or complete history of your work since graduating (we already ask for that in the online portion and can see this on your resume). You need to choose the most important elements that show your initiative, contribution, leadership and results achieved.

Part II: Career Goal Essay (400 word maximum)
    Tell us about your short and long term career goals.
    Please show you have a clear direction for your goal post-MBA. Good essays will emphasize what an applicant wants to do while at Johnson and how you will use this experience to accomplish your goal.

Part III: Character Essay (400 word maximum for chosen question), please choose one of the following to write about:
    a. You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book. Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity.

b. Describe a situation taken from your personal or professional life where you failed and tell us what you learned.

c. What does diversity mean to you and how will you contribute to the diversity of our community at Johnson?

Class Profile, Employment Report, and History:

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Two-Year ... Facts.aspx
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 23:52
Hi folks,

So, we finally have a thread for Cornell Johnson 2013 applicants. Let's get it started. 8-)

I'm researching and writing essays and will be applying in Round 1. All the best to everyone who is applying as well. :)

Cheers,
Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
GMATLA,

I believe the essays questions need to be modified for 2013 questions.

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Tim ... lines.aspx

Thanks,
Dbalks
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 08:09
Would any of the current students help me to evaluate my chances at Cornell :

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.5
GMAT 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :
Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC

Extra-Curricular Activities:

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.
Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 18:35
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 18:44
Lots of apps this year! Good luck everyone:

Increase (or decrease in applications) for 2013

Cornell +20%

Booth -3.5%
Harvard -4%
Kellogg -7%
Fuqua -7.1%
Yale -9.5%
Stern -11.5%
Columbia -19% (ouch.)

Source: http://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/07/cornell-bucks-down-trend-in-apps/
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 11:10
iamvolitant wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates

Thanks a lot iamvolitant , appreciate your honest feedback..

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 12:00
In for R1
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 22:51
Hi guys,

Planning on applying in r3 to cornell. Had a question, cornell's R3 is in Jan and then they have another round R4, which corresponds with regular R3 at other schools, so if I apply in Jan (Cornell's R3) is that the same as R2 or not really? Maybe I am over thinking this...any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 13:40
dmalik1 wrote:
Hi guys,

Planning on applying in r3 to cornell. Had a question, cornell's R3 is in Jan and then they have another round R4, which corresponds with regular R3 at other schools, so if I apply in Jan (Cornell's R3) is that the same as R2 or not really? Maybe I am over thinking this...any suggestions?

Cornell's R2 and R3 are similar to other schools' R2 with a slight favoring towards R2 over R3 here at Johnson.

Also- I will check in with GC occasionally and would be happy to help out with questions from applicants about Johnson, Cornell, or Ithaca!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:02
Hi

I had applied in 2010 and was rejected. This year I'd like to apply again, however, I haven't heard back from them with regards to a few questions. I had actually asked for a TOEFL waiver since I don't want to appear again for it (last time I took, got a 110) as it'll expire on 9th Oct'12. Also I've studied and worked in a country where English is the official language. I'm not sure why I'm not receiving a reply from them. Has anyone else faced such issues in delayed responses or no responses at all? The funny thing is last time they had waived it too and this time even after following up, I haven't heard back
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 19

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 18:32
Expert's post
synecdoche wrote:
Hi

I had applied in 2010 and was rejected. This year I'd like to apply again, however, I haven't heard back from them with regards to a few questions. I had actually asked for a TOEFL waiver since I don't want to appear again for it (last time I took, got a 110) as it'll expire on 9th Oct'12. Also I've studied and worked in a country where English is the official language. I'm not sure why I'm not receiving a reply from them. Has anyone else faced such issues in delayed responses or no responses at all? The funny thing is last time they had waived it too and this time even after following up, I haven't heard back

How long has it been? Maybe they are just a bit backed up with questions. You can always follow up with a call or another e-mail. I'm sure they are not ignoring your waiver request.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 19:13
asimov wrote:

How long has it been? Maybe they are just a bit backed up with questions. You can always follow up with a call or another e-mail. I'm sure they are not ignoring your waiver request.

Been around 3 weeks I guess.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 16:28
How is everyone doing? Less then a week away from round 1! I'm still struggling with essay 3... (doing TOC)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 18:01
It is a very exciting time at Cornell right now and this is being reflected in the increase in applications. I would really love to be part of the school especially as they start building their new Manhattan campus -- what a great opportunity to have input into this major expansion.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 21:28
Hello Everyone

I am working towards submitting my application in round 1 and I am facing a technical issue. The PDF version of the application form you get to view before submission for some reason does not show most of the transcripts I had uploaded (in spite of being able to view them in 'view document' part of transcripts section). The message I see in the pdf version is 'Attachment for question Institution2 Transcript 3 cannot be printed. Please validate the uploaded document.'

I did send out an email to the admissions team requesting them for inputs.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is facing/faced the same issue and if they know a way around it.

Good luck to everyone.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 06:50
highwyre237 wrote:
How is everyone doing? Less then a week away from round 1! I'm still struggling with essay 3... (doing TOC)

Im with your highwyre, the TOC essay is a thinker.. Every 5 words I write get so carefully scrutinized, then inevitably I erase them. So far at like 280 words and 47 chapters to my book.. I have way too many chapters.. You experience a similar issue or have you found a way to get more words into less chapters?
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 07:17
Dbalks wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Im with your highwyre, the TOC essay is a thinker.. Every 5 words I write get so carefully scrutinized, then inevitably I erase them. So far at like 280 words and 47 chapters to my book.. I have way too many chapters.. You experience a similar issue or have you found a way to get more words into less chapters?

Yeah, I'm going a different direction with it... dont want to give away how I'm doing it... but it will 100% show my personality...
It'll either be a major hit, or a total miss. I started doing something like 10 chapters, with a bunch of sub chapters... but it looked like a boring list of nothing... so I took some direction from my "25 random things" essay from fuqua, threw in some creativity, and now I have a great idea, just need to execute it correctly.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 10:26
highwyre237 wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going a different direction with it... dont want to give away how I'm doing it... but it will 100% show my personality...
It'll either be a major hit, or a total miss. I started doing something like 10 chapters, with a bunch of sub chapters... but it looked like a boring list of nothing... so I took some direction from my "25 random things" essay from fuqua, threw in some creativity, and now I have a great idea, just need to execute it correctly.

Hey, if you have creativity at all you beat me. My strength doesnt lie in my creativity here, so I just went pretty straightforward chapter names and tried to make them sound as interesting as they are to me. I guess our own lives sound much cooler to ourselves than others, so my chapter titles probably seem a lot cooler to me than they will to the Johnson admin.

Submitted my app just a while ago, now comes months of nervously waiting. Out of all the schools I've been to, I actually did like the vibe of Johnson best. Seems like a fun place to learn for a couple of years.
Current Student

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 10:39
Dbalks wrote:
Hey, if you have creativity at all you beat me. My strength doesnt lie in my creativity here, so I just went pretty straightforward chapter names and tried to make them sound as interesting as they are to me. I guess our own lives sound much cooler to ourselves than others, so my chapter titles probably seem a lot cooler to me than they will to the Johnson admin.

Submitted my app just a while ago, now comes months of nervously waiting. Out of all the schools I've been to, I actually did like the vibe of Johnson best. Seems like a fun place to learn for a couple of years.

I actually wrote 3 versions for essay 3... 1 was a TOCs, and 2 failures (one work one person) I couldnt figure out which to use...

My TOC was awesome, from a creativity standpoint... but I think the content was a bit boring. I think I'm going with the personal failure... its a pretty awesome story.

Good luck, I'm planning on submitting tonight.

Dumb question... 10/17 by midnight... does that mean by 12:00am 10/17 (as in tonight) or by 12:00am 10/18 (as in tomorrow night)
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2012, 10:39