Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Cornell or UNC?

16% [3]
83% [15]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Cornell or UNC? Both with full scholarships [#permalink]
"In my opinion UNC is much more of a regional brand"

- UNC-Chapel Hill regional? How?? The Kennan-Flagler school ranks 18th on USNews and 13th on Forbes of the best B-schools out there and has so for years. It's in the 98th-99th percentile of business schools out there. Some of the best named firms from all over the country recruit there.

I think you should ask Paul Parker Head of M&A at Goldman Sachs if UNC-CH is regional.

UNC-CH is no more regional to Cornell than Northwestern would be to U-Chicago. But I presume in your mind Northwestern would be more regional compared to a larger, more national and prestigious university such as such as U-Chicago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Cornell or UNC? Both with full scholarships [#permalink]
alphabeta1234 wrote:
"In my opinion UNC is much more of a regional brand"

- UNC-Chapel Hill regional? How?? The Kennan-Flagler school ranks 18th on USNews and 13th on Forbes of the best B-schools out there and has so for years. It's in the 98th-99th percentile of business schools out there. Some of the best named firms from all over the country recruit there.

I think you should ask Paul Parker Head of M&A at Goldman Sachs if UNC-CH is regional.

UNC-CH is no more regional to Cornell than Northwestern would be to U-Chicago. But I presume in your mind Northwestern would be more regional compared to a larger, more national and prestigious university such as such as U-Chicago.

I agree with this. If you're arguing UNC is regionally you could also argue that Johnson is. Look at their employment report, I think the number was somewhere around 75% of graduates in New York or New England. Conversely, I would UNC is pretty strong in the south and mid Atlantic. Now, both have very recognizable brands that will help you go anywhere, but the employment report for both schools paints a picture of regional strengths. Which is why, if I were you, I'd base the decision on where you want to work when you graduate. UNC is probably more likely to get you connections at MBB Atlanta, while Cornell is probably stronger at MBB New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Cornell or UNC? Both with full scholarships [#permalink]
Looking at the two employment report here are some key stats:

UNC-CH: Mean Salary: 108k/Median:110k
Cornell: Mean Salary: ?/Median: 119k

UNC-CH:
Consulting: 28%
Finance: 31%

Cornell:
Consulting: 14%
Finance: 40%

It is pretty clear if your interested in consulting your chances are better at UNC-CH. If your interested in Finance your chances are better our Cornell.

UNC is located in North Carolina, a low cost state and some of its MBA candidates will end up in southern cities such as Charlotte/Atlanta/Dallas/Houston which again are all low cost cities compared to NYC which one would presume where Cornell places more of its grads. Despite the geographic advantage for Cornell's grads to earn more in NYC it seems they are not as highly paid. There is only a 9k difference in the median wage between the two schools. NYC wages and prices are easily 30-40% higher than Charlotte/Atlanta/Dallas/Houston and yet their median salaries are roughly the same. Which means a UNC grad who chose to work in Charlotte making 110k a year is making, on an inflation adjusted basis, 154k, compared to a Cornell grad in NYC making 110k in an extremely expensive city such as NYC is really making 90k a year (not to mention the 3% NYC city tax on top of the federal & state).

Cornell's employment report didn't stand out to me. If your interested in consulting go with UNC-CH. Because its clear being closer to NYC and having more of its grads choosing finance over consulting, hasn't helped Cornell improve the starting salaries of its MBA candidates.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would go with Cornell, better brand, more nationally recognized in business circles, and if you are interested in consulting you can live whereever you want to secure your low cost living option. Both great choices, good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts