Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell, stop making me mad, please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1582 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Cornell, stop making me mad, please. [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 12:24
Just got this today:

Quote:
In reviewing your application for admission to the Johnson School, I thought you might also want to consider applying for the Roy H. Park Leadership Fellowship.

The Park Leadership Fellows Program is a full tuition plus stipend fellowship that is designed to attract top MBA candidates to the Johnson School, and develop the next generation of world class business leaders. The Program was founded in 1997 and awards up to 25 fellowships per class to students entering the two-year MBA experience. It is based on a philosophy that leadership is not only about professional achievement but also about personal contribution - about doing well for oneself while doing good in the world. The program offers a powerful experience designed to deliver on this premise and is unique in graduate management education. The Park Fellows participate in this program in addition to their regular MBA experience.

If you would like to be considered for the fellowship, please complete the following essay question in 400 words or less and return it to us within 10 days:

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by rhyme on 19 Oct 2006, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 12:37
Prior to the MBA tour here, I also received an invitation from Cornell to attend their info session in SF for the park scholarship. My personal reaction was that it was their effort to buy some high GMAT scores (I believe that is the only info they had about me). It's a great offer, but it makes you wonder what the rest of the application review process is like.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 13:44
Hah....so what's the essay topic?!?!??!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 13:54
swgotz wrote:
Hah....so what's the essay topic?!?!??!

Who knows? I emailed asking.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 16:55
rhyme, on the bright side, maybe they are going to accept you regardless the interview. They just wonder if they could grant you the full scholarship or 75% scholarship...
Seemingly Cornell is trying to "reach out", but inefficiently...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2006, 02:56
darren1010 wrote:
rhyme, on the bright side, maybe they are going to accept you regardless the interview. They just wonder if they could grant you the full scholarship or 75% scholarship...
Seemingly Cornell is trying to "reach out", but inefficiently...

It just reflects poorly on them is all. Maybe thats why it got me so mad - that is, I like Cornell - not a top choice for me - but for no other reason than location - and to see them blunder about in this way is dissapointing.

They are, however, as someone said, just buying GMAT scores. I wonder just how many other schools do this?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2006, 20:52
rhyme,

Don't jump the gun just yet. I believe most applicants who clicked yes to "Would you like to be considered for Merit Based Scholarship" on the application will receive that e-mail. Cornell has recognized their mistake for sending this e-mail out to international applicants and has since issued an apology.

I also know for certain that they're not "buying" GMAT scores because I have a 760 and did not receive that e-mail. I also like Cornell, so I didn't want you develope negative impressions based on incorrect information/assumption from someone else. Hopefully this should clarify some misunderstanding, and I'm sure you'll get an interview request soon.

Best of luck,
Green
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2006, 04:09
greenclover wrote:
rhyme,

Don't jump the gun just yet. I believe most applicants who clicked yes to "Would you like to be considered for Merit Based Scholarship" on the application will receive that e-mail. Cornell has recognized their mistake for sending this e-mail out to international applicants and has since issued an apology.

Do you work for Cornell? That almost sounds like so formal!

Quote:
I also know for certain that they're not "buying" GMAT scores because I have a 760 and did not receive that e-mail. I also like Cornell, so I didn't want you develope negative impressions based on incorrect information/assumption from someone else. Hopefully this should clarify some misunderstanding, and I'm sure you'll get an interview request soon.

I'd called them and they had told me it was based on GMAT score. So I can't imagine why they didn't invite you.

I like Cornell as well, I'm just dissapointed by the lack of organization and poor execution. Especially from a program that is supposed to be the shining star of the school. Somewhat disconcerting, tis all.

I hadnt seen the apology email, but maybe I just missed it or it ended up in my spam folder. In any case, yes - your right - Cornell is a great school, and who knows, maybe I'll get an interview. Maybe not, but well see.
  [#permalink] 20 Oct 2006, 04:09