Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CORNELL VS. DARDEN

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CORNELL VS. DARDEN [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 10:04
HI! I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME. I'VE BEEN OFFERED ADMISSION TO BOTH CORNELL AND DARDEN. NOW I'M HAVING TROUBLE CHOOSING WHICH ONE TO ATTEND.
IM MEXICAN AND I BELIEVE CORNELL HAS MORE PRESTIGE OUTSIDE THE US SO THATS A PLUS. HOWEVER IM LEANING TOWARDS DARDEN BECAUSE OF THE CASE METHOD AND THE ACADEMIC RIGOR (I KNOW, IM CRAZY)
MY CAREER PERSPECTIVE IS THE FOLLOWING: IM BEING SPONSORED BY MY CURRENT EMPLOYER (A COMMERCIAL BANK) TO RETURN TO A LEADERSHIP POSITION. I WANT A PROGRAM THAT PROVIDES A STRONG GENERAL MANAGEMENT AND STRATEGY TOOL KIT AND ALSO A STRONG FINANCE CURRICULUM...
ANY COMMENTS WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED. :o :o :o
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CORNELL VS. DARDEN [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Darden outranks Cornell on the US News rankings. I would choose it. You prefer its methods and it has a better ranking in US. Good luck where ever you land.

(grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews ((dot)) com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings )
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CORNELL VS. DARDEN [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
skipjames wrote:
Darden outranks Cornell on the US News rankings. I would choose it. You prefer its methods and it has a better ranking in US. Good luck where ever you land.

(grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews ((dot)) com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings )

on the other hand, businessweek ranks cornell over darden. i guess that means the OP should choose cornell hands down? :lol:

rankings are just one piece of the puzzle. in this case, neither school is a hands down favorite (rankings-wise) over the other.

your gut instinct is telling you to go with darden. have you visited the school? (or cornell for that matter)? both are somewhat off the beaten path in terms of location; darden is warmer than cornell, however. can't speak about the culture at either school since i didnt apply to either.

at any rate, if you haven't visited the schools yet, and you're not able to, then i'd probably just go with my gut instinct.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CORNELL VS. DARDEN [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 05:06
amazingme wrote:
HI! I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME. I'VE BEEN OFFERED ADMISSION TO BOTH CORNELL AND DARDEN. NOW I'M HAVING TROUBLE CHOOSING WHICH ONE TO ATTEND.
IM MEXICAN AND I BELIEVE CORNELL HAS MORE PRESTIGE OUTSIDE THE US SO THATS A PLUS. HOWEVER IM LEANING TOWARDS DARDEN BECAUSE OF THE CASE METHOD AND THE ACADEMIC RIGOR (I KNOW, IM CRAZY)
MY CAREER PERSPECTIVE IS THE FOLLOWING: IM BEING SPONSORED BY MY CURRENT EMPLOYER (A COMMERCIAL BANK) TO RETURN TO A LEADERSHIP POSITION. I WANT A PROGRAM THAT PROVIDES A STRONG GENERAL MANAGEMENT AND STRATEGY TOOL KIT AND ALSO A STRONG FINANCE CURRICULUM...
ANY COMMENTS WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED. :o :o :o

I would go for Darden .

Darden - Pros: Strong Case method program and rigorous curriculum is universally respected. Alumni network is very strong and active with current students.
Cons: Middle of nowhere. Intellectual horsepower not as strong at a lot of the other top b-schools.
:) Office Space Character: Anne. Anne just seemed really high maintenance and uptight. You try doing twenty cases a week for a year and see what happens to you. Just don’t be surprised if it’s a bigger bi**h than you imagined.

.Cornell - Pros: Maybe the best Hospitality management program in the country. Ivy league brand name, and strong ties to some top consumer management companies. Small tight knit culture.
Cons: In the middle of nowhere, and it’s definitely a cut below a lot of the top tier programs. I mean, hospitality management? Seriously?
:) Office Space Character: Peggy. She’s kind of in hospitality: “Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! .”

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: CORNELL VS. DARDEN   [#permalink] 22 May 2010, 05:06