Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell vs University of Wisconsin

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Cornell vs University of Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 12:48
Guys,
I would like your valuable input on my unique situation. I am heading to Business School (not sure which one yet) this year and would like to know your thoughts before making a final decision. Currently, I work in a tech company in a project leader role. I am past thirty (have a family) and have received offers from two schools and have been waitlisted at Ross. For me, it’s going to be one of the most important decisions of my career, so seeking different viewpoints on this situation before making final decision.

Option 1 (Low risk approach): Matriculate at Johnson (Cornell) one year MBA program and move into product management role at a tech company or general management role. Considering Cornell is a strong school, I am inclined towards this option. I will be back in workforce in a year, so low risk concerning economic gyrations these years. Better work life balance.

Option 2 (High risk approach): Matriculate at University of Wisconsin (UW) ASAP program and move into investment management (buy-side) role at an investment firm. As per UW, ASAP program has a history of placing almost all of its students to investment management (mostly buy-side). I love investing, so thought why not pursue it as a career and UW ASAP program is rated as one of the better programs in the country and would help me get a foot into investment management field. If economy stays strong when I graduate in 2013, then it would be more monetary rewarding career path. I am not sure how the work life balance would be, but heard it’s better than investment banking.

Overall UW is not as reputed as Cornell, but for investment management it’s a decent school or I would put it this way: it’s not easy to break into investment management field from Cornell if I am enrolled into one year program. UW boasts that students in ASAP program manage largest student run fund (around $62 million) in the country.

What do you guys think: which route makes more sense? Although I have researched about the IM field, if anybody has any input on salary, jobs, hours, and work culture etc in IM firms then please feel free to share your insights. I would appreciate experienced GClubbers take on this.

Thanks.
- sp
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell vs University of Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 15:19
sevenplus wrote:
Guys,
I would like your valuable input on my unique situation. I am heading to Business School (not sure which one yet) this year and would like to know your thoughts before making a final decision. Currently, I work in a tech company in a project leader role. I am past thirty (have a family) and have received offers from two schools and have been waitlisted at Ross. For me, it’s going to be one of the most important decisions of my career, so seeking different viewpoints on this situation before making final decision.

Option 1 (Low risk approach): Matriculate at Johnson (Cornell) one year MBA program and move into product management role at a tech company or general management role. Considering Cornell is a strong school, I am inclined towards this option. I will be back in workforce in a year, so low risk concerning economic gyrations these years. Better work life balance.

Option 2 (High risk approach): Matriculate at University of Wisconsin (UW) ASAP program and move into investment management (buy-side) role at an investment firm. As per UW, ASAP program has a history of placing almost all of its students to investment management (mostly buy-side). I love investing, so thought why not pursue it as a career and UW ASAP program is rated as one of the better programs in the country and would help me get a foot into investment management field. If economy stays strong when I graduate in 2013, then it would be more monetary rewarding career path. I am not sure how the work life balance would be, but heard it’s better than investment banking.

Overall UW is not as reputed as Cornell, but for investment management it’s a decent school or I would put it this way: it’s not easy to break into investment management field from Cornell if I am enrolled into one year program. UW boasts that students in ASAP program manage largest student run fund (around $62 million) in the country.

What do you guys think: which route makes more sense? Although I have researched about the IM field, if anybody has any input on salary, jobs, hours, and work culture etc in IM firms then please feel free to share your insights. I would appreciate experienced GClubbers take on this.

Thanks.
- sp

Simply judging by the tone of what you have written, I think you are a bit more excited about the IM field than the career path which Cornell could offer. I do not have a family so I really cannot put myself in your shoes but I would go for the school that could offer me the career path that I truly feel passionate about.
Re: Cornell vs University of Wisconsin   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2011, 15:19