Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 21:30
I am an international applicant from India with a 5 year sustainability consultancy background. Post MBA I am looking for a role in consultancy or general management. Right now I am torn between the Cornell Johnson offer without any scholarship and Kenan-Flagler with full tuition scholarship. I know the Ivy League brand of Cornell counts for a lot but financially will it be worth the extra $120k investment over the two years compared to what I will get in Kenan-Flagler? Would love to hear people's opinion on this.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 07:11
Have you looked at the employment reports for both programs? Determine whether companies you're interested in recruit at both schools. If they do, I would go with UNC. The difference between the 2 isn't big enough to override a full scholarship at UNC vs no $$ at Johnson.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- What questions to ask admissions officers
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 07:53
Agree. That full-ride to UNC is too much to ignore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 22:41
happycamper wrote:
I am an international applicant from India with a 5 year sustainability consultancy background. Post MBA I am looking for a role in consultancy or general management. Right now I am torn between the Cornell Johnson offer without any scholarship and Kenan-Flagler with full tuition scholarship. I know the Ivy League brand of Cornell counts for a lot but financially will it be worth the extra $120k investment over the two years compared to what I will get in Kenan-Flagler? Would love to hear people's opinion on this.

Congratulations. Both Cornell and Kennan Flagler are good schools. Your post career goals are not difficult to achieve in either of the schools. Both schools have consulting as top areas of study. The brand name of Cornell will carry on through out your life. The full scholarship at Kennan Flagler is very appealing. If you join Cornell, will you be able to raise the tution money on your own? If yes, then Cornell is the choice for you. It is a clear choice for you to choose Cornell if you have the money. Don’t get sucked into the scholarship. You can repay your loan if you can get into a top school. That’s what the whole world believes in. It has been done many times before. Your school brand stays with you long term. Cornell brand is very strong and I believe it can definitely be worth more than $120K. But, I understand it is personal choice and it depends on many other circumstances. Speak to few more alumni at Cornell and Kenan Flagler, you will get a clear picture. We know many of them, and we can help you with that discussion.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 08:58
Expert's post
Cornell is barely ranked above UNC, and although Cornell is technically an Ivy, it really doesn't have the prestige of the other Ivy league schools (undergraduate or MBA wise). I think its a no-brainer to take UNC. Plus, I think you'll be bored in Cornell, as there's nothing to do there (undergrad wise everyone just joins frats and has frat parties all the time, have no idea what people would do for fun when too old for that).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '17, CBS '16, Yale '17
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 23

Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
I am not expert but here are my opinions:

Instead of rankings, think in terms of tiers. While Cornell maybe only a few spots ahead of UNC in terms of overall ranking, Cornell belongs to the T16 tier (i.e. Duke/Ross/Darden/Yale) and sometimes top 10. There may be a drop off in terms of quality of employers recruiting between the T16 tier and the next tier. It's like the difference between a GMAT score of 690 and 700, while the difference is small, it's more noticeable than the difference between a 700 and 710.

Internationally, there is no doubt Cornell carries more weight. It's no Harvard/Princeton/Yale, but it's in the same ivy-league category as Penn/Columbia/Dartmouth/Brown.

There is a youtube video called "This is Cornell" you can watch, it's a pretty good video.

But Ultimately, the you know yourself the best and make a decision that you will feel comfortable and happy with :)

Congrats on getting the full ride at UNC and admission at Cornell.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 11:40
Expert's post
applebees wrote:

Instead of rankings, think in terms of tiers. While Cornell maybe only a few spots ahead of UNC in terms of overall ranking, Cornell belongs to the T16 tier (i.e. Duke/Ross/Darden/Yale) and sometimes top 10. There may be a drop off in terms of quality of employers recruiting between the T16 tier and the next tier. It's like the difference between a GMAT score of 690 and 700, while the difference is small, it's more noticeable than the difference between a 700 and 710.

Internationally, there is no doubt Cornell carries more weight. It's no Harvard/Princeton/Yale, but it's in the same ivy-league category as Penn/Columbia/Dartmouth/Brown.

There is a youtube video called "This is Cornell" you can watch, it's a pretty good video.

But Ultimately, the you know yourself the best and make a decision that you will feel comfortable and happy with :)

Cornell is well below all other 7 ivies based on selectivity and average SAT.

For example, Columba; 7.4% acceptance, Cornell: 16.2%

And unless things changed since 2005, it's reputation was much lower too.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '17, CBS '16, Yale '17
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 12:24
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ivy- ... ked-2013-9

Not a fan of these rankings myself.... but interesting to see that Columbia does not dominate the other lower ivies in all public perceptions.

I agree 16% is a bit high but Penn is at 12%... does that make Penn so much more inferior to Columbia? Now we're arguing which UG is more prestious... College Confidential flashbacks ;) To me... I see HYP being the top Ivies and the rest are interchangeable and have similar reputations. I could not imagine anyone would say "You went to Cornell instead of Penn or Columbia??... what a shame!"

Like I said... I don't know how OP is with money. If he's well funded :) and willing to pay then Cornell is a fine choice and if he's set on ROI then UNC may serve him better.

Just my two cents

mgh234 wrote:
applebees wrote:

Cornell is well below all other 7 ivies based on selectivity and average SAT.

For example, Columba; 7.4% acceptance, Cornell: 16.2%

And unless things changed since 2005, it's reputation was much lower too.

Re: Cornell without scholarship vs UNC KF with full tuition   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2014, 12:24