Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [222]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q34  V20
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [42]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [35]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html

Hi!

When you see lots of clauses and phrases, think modification.

The problem with D is the phrase "that involves the introduction of dye"; since that phrase immediately follows "coronary disease", that's what it modifies. However, that doesn't make any sense; we want that phrase to modify "coronary angiography".

In C, we have a comma after disease, turning that whole clause into a parenthetical comment that we can ignore when evaluating the sentence. So, C actually reads:

Quote:
Coronary angiography, blah blah blah, involves the introduction of dye...

which is exactly what we want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary [#permalink]
Kudos
maybeam wrote:
227. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

I agree that its the angiography that involves the introduction of the dye and not the diesase.
But is the usage
Quote:
method for
a correct usage.

I was confused b/w the forms

method for and method to

and choosed method to as right, though it turned out to be wrong. Can somebody help me on this?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [15]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Prominent misplaced modifier error in wrong choices: modifier is modifying diseases instead of angiography
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [5]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
brs1cob wrote:
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...

brs1cob

Here the present participle "involving" modifies the immediately preceding noun disease. But disease doesn't involve the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart but rather the method involves that. Therefore A is wrong.

C correctly describes the method by saying two things using parallel predicates: invoves... and is administered...

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hello,

Greetings for the day!

Can anybody please explain the usage of "method to" and "method for" ?

Thanks in anticipation!

Best,
Kunal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
KUNAL

As far as I see, outside American English, I am not sure whether there is any difference between 'method for' and 'method to'. While 'method to', 'method of', 'method in' are described by many dictionaries, they have completely ignored 'method for'.
The Free dictionary even says that the phrase 'method for diagnosing' is not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.

I would wait for someone to cite a dictionary link that describes the difference. Nevertheless, I still take Chris Lee's reasoning that method for diagnosing is the correct idiom as he ought to know better.

In addition, is it at least there in any of the idioms list flashed by the Gmat training companies?

Therefore, this question has to be decided on other merits than on idioms, I believe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
I go with C, but I have a question . i.e the stmt like

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Will "it" (underlined abv) refer to the preceeding noun, if any, like heart in this case ? Becoz i want to confirm my understanding that the modifiers seperated by commas do not modify the actual statement i.e Coronary angiography uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos