Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 94 [4] , given: 116

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:02) correct 55% (01:06) wrong based on 319 sessions
227. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 94 [2] , given: 116

Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
maybeam wrote:
227. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

I agree that its the angiography that involves the introduction of the dye and not the diesase.
But is the usage
Quote:
method for
a correct usage.

I was confused b/w the forms

method for and method to

and choosed method to as right, though it turned out to be wrong. Can somebody help me on this?

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 5

Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 14:07
This post received
KUDOS
@maybeam

regarding your question
when speaking in manners of procedures or a way to do something (using the word method), use "method for".
But when speaking in manners of using a certain method to find out or conclude something, use "method to".
Eg. Use the negating method to weaken the arguments conclusion.

Using the explanation above there is only one answer choice that stands out:
C) Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function. Correct structure.

Anwser choice D might be confusing at first but the use of "that" incorrectly modifies disease.
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Hope this helps!

PS: i find it very helpful that you keep posting all this questions in forum, for discussion, etc. Kudos to you @maybeam!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 457 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The correct idiom is 'method for diagnosing'. Eliminate (D), (E). The subject 'coronary angiography' is interrupted by the phrase, 'a sophisticated...'. As soon as that parenthetical phrase ends we need a verb that goes together with the subject. Only 'involves' does this. Therefore (C).

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman, Ivey
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 03:45
maybeam wrote:
I agree that its the angiography that involves the introduction of the dye and not the diesase.
But is the usage
Quote:
method for
a correct usage.

I was confused b/w the forms

method for and method to

and choosed method to as right, though it turned out to be wrong. Can somebody help me on this?
[/quote]

Hi Maybeam,

I'm not sure whether you are done with GMAT by now, but to my understanding you have not yet got the answer to your doubt. Here is my attempt to do so:

Ron says you use "method to + verb" when you refer to the actual/direct mechanics of the plan, e.g. I plan to sell my old clothes.
You use "method for + verb-ing" when verb-ing is goal or purpose of the plan but actual mechanics are different. e.g. My plan for making money is to sell my old clothes.

By the above rules, method to + verb appears to fit here, rather than method for + verb-ing but notice a different in meaning here.
Using noun modifier ,a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, the author's intent is not to tell us that Coronary angiography can detect coronary disease, rather author's intent is to tell us why C.A is administered selectively ?

This is my understanding, though the other bigger issue with choice D (that) obviously throws it out of the race. Had it been same as C, with only difference between to and for, we would have been in a better situation to judge. I doubt whether it's an official question .. ?

Regards,
Abhishek.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 272 [1] , given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 00:53
This post received
KUDOS
Prominent misplaced modifier error in wrong choices: modifier is modifying diseases instead of angiography
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 00:53