Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 13:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
38. Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand.

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
c) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment

I would greatly appreciate your explanations! :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 14:55
Modifier issue – modifying phrase needs to be placed near the noun it modifies.

It is the “Corporate finance committees” that makes strategic judgments by allocation on investment.

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand

b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding [“When” is preferred for time modification – eliminate it]

c) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds [strategic judgments and allocate investment funds too far off – eliminate it]

d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding [ about where – too wordy]

e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment [same issue as in C]

Answer: A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 19

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:26
jjhko wrote:
38. Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand.

b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
c) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment

I do not have very clear explanantion but C is my choice.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 92

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 10:20
C for me

I dont have a great explaination though - committees X but "they" rightly modifier committees
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 11:57
jjhko wrote:

C is my choice. i choose this answer based on the meaning of the sentence.

i think 'strategic judgements' should follow 'plan detailed activities'. the sentence says that the committees don't plan (directly) but indirectly show their strategic judgement by the way they allocate funds.

this is the best way I can explain. can anybody give a more precise, maybe a grammatical explanation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:36
I also believe this question tests your knowledge on modifiers.

In the sentence, "by their allocation of investment funds" is modifying "Corportate finance committees", so they need to stay close to each other. Also the meaning or the focus of the sentence has to remain same.

--> Possible answer. "they" (Corporate finance committees) stays right next to "by their allocation of investment funds".

--> Look at "might be expanding". Its carries a meaning that it is currently expanding, but the original sentence "should expand" carries a meaning the firm it is not expanding right now but will expand in the future.

--> If you read carefully, fhe focus here is on "where the firm should expand"

--> verb "make" has changed into "will make" which changes the timing of two actions (allocating investment funds, strategic judgments) from present-present to present-future.

--> awkward sentence structure.

Therefore, I strongly believe the answer is A :)
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

Re: tough SC - #38 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 19:52
jjhko wrote:

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand -> but by is not right here
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding -> out ,might be is wrong
c) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds -> perfect
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding -> this is out
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment -. this is awkward !!out

IMO C
Clearly we see that make strategic judgement on rather than judement about here in this context !!
might be expanding does not sound right

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: tough SC - #38   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2008, 19:52