Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 118

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 00:33
I got this question wrong, I went with C. But I think A is right.

According to http://www.americanidioms.net/as-to/ - "AS TO" is correct idiom, it means "ACCORDING TO / WITH REGARD TO". We can narrow down to A and E. But E is convoluted and awkward. Frankly, I don't understand what does it mean. So A wins. if you replace "as to" with "according to", the sentence is very clear and easy to understand.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 01:48
its one of those questions which you waste a lot of time on, eliminate all the answers, and then after three minutes realize "hey, the original sentance makes the most sense" ;))
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 118

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:50
ritula wrote:
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand.

(A) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand
(B) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
(C) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
(D) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
(E) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment

First, "as to" is correct idiom. It means "about"
So "as to where" is better than "on where".

(A) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand CORRECT
(B) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding AWKWARD
(C) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds "ON WHERE" is not idiomatic
(D) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding AWKWARD
(E) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment AWKWARD

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 82

CAT Tests
Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 05:18
I will go with A. very nice question

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2014, 05:18