Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [2] , given: 0

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:09) correct 75% (01:00) wrong based on 693 sessions
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand.

(A) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand
(B) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
(C) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
(D) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgments about where the firm might be expanding
(E) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgment
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Strategy 1

The first split is the use of the idiom “as to where" vs. "on where" and "about where". "As to where" is the appropriate idiom and hence A and E qualify. Between the two, E is not worth looking beyond the idiom.

Strategy 2

The diction ‘when they allocate funds’ is improper because when denotes a specific point of time, as if the committees make strategic decisions only when they allocate funds. What do they do at other times? "By their allocation” the intent of the committee is rather brought out more explicitly. Hence B and C can be dumped. E is too awkward to merit any consideration. Between A and D, the use of future tense in D to indicate a normal activity of the committee is faulty. A wins

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 03:10
a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
c) they make strategic judgements on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgement

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 08:53
C.

Corporate finance committees do not plan..., but the make....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 19:52
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand.

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding --AWKWARD
c) they make strategic judgements on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgement--NONSENSE

I'll go for A. C seems ambiguous to me and kind of hides the cause and effect relationship the sentence is trying to convey. OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 05:12
OA is A :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 11:11
ritula wrote:
OA is A :shock:

what is the OE?

A and C are close but C is parallel because it uses the construction "do not plan but they make".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 11:35
here are the two explanations.

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/gmat-and- ... s-240.html

in one of them it says that C distorts the meaning. And it does , now, look like that it distort the meaning because "they make judgements by allocating funds" and not "they make judgement when funds are allocated".

http://www.beatthegmat.com/corporate-fi ... 20543.html

in second it says that it is wrong to use "judgement on".
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 02:42
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 03:39
I would not have bothered about such questions which test a concept which usually is very unique as compared to that in GMAT type ques....I think we can leave it...

"The highest result of education is tolerance."

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Corporate finance [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 21:43
I have gone for C. I think, these questions are really doubtful. If I will accept their explanation of A, then also can somebody please explain me the logic behind using cordinating conjunction but with comma to conncect this sentence? Why we can't use subordinating conjunction or but without comma for this purpose?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 12:25
I got this question wrong by going with C. I have yet to see a clear answer why my choice was wrong though...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 22:56
confusing question it better to leave

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 00:32
I found C is more parallel than A, Experts please suggest do we really get such doubtful questions in real GMAT.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:29
Am split between A and C.. Should be A
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 01:04
A should be right...its logical prediction que. .... :oops: :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:10
I was inclined towards C as well due to parallelism and brevity. But I think answer should be A.

The problem with C is: "When".
When they allocate the funds changes the causal meaning intended in the original phrase. In the original phrase the author meant to say that : by allocating (Cause) ---> strategic decisions (effect).

But in C, the meaning is changed because the author says strategic decisions (effect) ---> When (time frame). So, causal meaning from original sentence is lost.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 15:02
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand.

(A) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgments as to where the firm should expand
(C) they make strategic judgments on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds

Confusion is between A and C.

I will concentrate on the meaning.

In general the meaning is "companies don't plan detailed activities for all the depts but allocate funds only to those dept in which, they think, company should expand." More emphasis should be given on strategic judgments.

A sounds concise,clear and closest to intended meaning.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 21:20
true that it is difficult to choose between A & C. I too selected C first but after looking more closely feel that

C is not correct because it uses 'When' in the sentence and here it is not referring to time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 04:00
i pick A here. in my point of view "might be expanding" is just convoluted. C and E are unnecessarily wordy.

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2012, 04:00