Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Corporations will soon be required to report to the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Corporations will soon be required to report to the [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2005, 15:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

(A) earned by their employees and that the information be published

(B) that their employees earned and that the information be published

(C) that was earned by their employees with the information being published

(D) earned by their employees, information that must also be published

(E) earned by their employees and published the information
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- corporation [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2005, 16:25
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2005, 22:27
looks like a toughie to me...
Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders

in violet is stuff that can be eliminated

in blue is correct sentence structure and the red is the only portion which will need to be modified. Therefore we are left with D and E

I prefer D to E

D should be it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 06:57
I'd go by B. since it correlates with "that" for both the clauses. Also the employees are not clear if they're of corporation or government.

OA plz
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 07:14
Great explanation, Vithal!

D for me, too, since

(A) earned by their employees and that the information be published - doesn't work with the sentence structure (consider: corps will soon be required that the information be published in annual reports... doesn't make sense).

(B) that their employees earned and that the information be published - same as (A) - "that the information be published" can't stand alone.

(C) that was earned by their employees with the information being published - we're talking about benefits in the plural, so the verb must be plural as well.

(D) earned by their employees, information that must also be published - this makes sense, since the verb agrees with benefits and the clause about publishing the information works with the sentence structure.

(E) earned by their employees and published the information - we're talking about corps that need to publish the information. For this to be correct, it should read "earned by their employees and publish the information"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 11:33
D.

Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

###Lacks parallelism.
###Correct form - "required to report ......and to publish"

###Lacks parallelosm. See above.

###Verb agreement issue - singular/plural.
###Correct form - "benefits that were earned"

###Correct.

###Lack of parallelism. See explanation for option (A)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 12:04
D was my pick.
I definitely come up with the same explanations given above, though when I spotted the mistake I expected other possible choices, more parallel :o
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 13:59
well i can see that all of you concur with the correct answere,

but no one seems to explain the structure of D

if we reduce D,we get
Corporations will soon be required to report to the government ---, information that must also be published

if we reduce further,

Corporations will soon be required to report, information that must also be published.

now dosen't it look clumsy as if the second part have no connection with the first part. IMO a connector is reqd to connect the two parts as

Corporations will soon be required to report----- and publish the information.

however, D is the OA, therefore the construction in D is correct, but i dont understand the structure. it would be very helpful if someone can explain the structure gramatically.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 20:25

- 'that' is redundant.

- present perfect is unnescessary, and being published is also un-idiomatic in this context

- published is the wrong tense.

Between A and D, I'll take D.
In (A), the use of 'and' suggests that information and the reporting are one action item. The information could be anything in this case.

D makes it clear. By seperating the two phrases by a comma, it makes clear that the information is the 'reserves use to pay the pension etc'

D it is.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 09:11
ywilfred- i guess i got the point.

"information that must be published" is acting as a resumptive modifier.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 09:18
dipaksingh wrote:
ywilfred- i guess i got the point.

"information that must be published" is acting as a resumptive modifier.

Can't say I've heard of the term resumptive modifier. What's that ? Could you elaborate a little more please? :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 12:09
does anyone know what is being tested here? I guess we are forced to pick D as the less-than-ideal option, but I don't know how to learn from this. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 05:11
well! analysing the sentence and going through my notes i got the concept inherent in this sentence.

this sentence is an example where a relative clause is used as a summative modifier.
the basic structure of these type of sentences are,

a independent clause followed by a "comma" + a summative+ relative clause (starting with which , that, who, whose, whome )

a summative- is used so that the relative clause doesn't dangle (with out any referent).
"summative" is usually used to refer back the whole of independent clause before it.

eg-Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees, +information+ that must also be published .

here "information" is used to refer " whether they have necessary reserves to pay -------earned by their employees"
a typical structure of resumptive modifier is

independent clause + a word/term from the previous independent clause + modifier of the word/term.

eg- digital revelution will change the way people live in society, +a society where rich people will become rich at the expense of the poor.

this mantra - i got from a testmagic.com post. (apart from spideys note there's another member who has compiled his notes and donated to testmagic with the permission of erin- the problem is that the notes are not downloadable and many members have complained about that within the post. i was lucky though to get the print out ,but didn't save it in my PC.)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 03:02
dipaksingh wrote:
well! analysing the sentence and going through my notes i got the concept inherent in this sentence.

this sentence is an example where a relative clause is used as a summative modifier.

a independent clause followed by a "comma" + a summative+ relative clause (starting with which , that, who, whose, whome )

a summative- is used so that the relative clause doesn't dangle (with out any referent).
"summative" is usually used to refer back the whole of independent clause before it.

eg-Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees, +information+ that must also be published .

here "information" is used to refer " whether they have necessary reserves to pay -------earned by their employees"

independent clause + a word/term from the previous independent clause + modifier of the word/term.

eg- digital revelution will change the way people live in society, +a society where rich people will become rich at the expense of the poor.

this mantra - i got from a testmagic.com post. (apart from spideys note there's another member who has compiled his notes and donated to testmagic with the permission of erin- the problem is that the notes are not downloadable and many members have complained about that within the post. i was lucky though to get the print out ,but didn't save it in my PC.)

Can't say i understand much of your analysis :( but i also go for D. :lol:

It's not over until it's OVER!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 03:37
dipaksingh wrote:

Guys: Isnt this subjunctive?

required ...that....be.......

Atleast I was biased to guess as B......

Vithal&Dipak: thanks for a decent explanation
  [#permalink] 14 Apr 2005, 03:37